News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Is anyone watching the new mini-series by Ken burns on Mohammed Ali on PBS? It is a 4 parter and got decent reviews. I I always like Burn's shows but I messed the first 3 episodes. I'll try and DVR it when they repeat it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I don't know whether to put this in the movie thread, but last week, as an Optimum subscriber they gave us free HBO and Cinemax for the weekend. I DVRed several movies, most of them a bit older and I have watched quite a few.
Most are just that, average movies, that really I couldn't care one way or another about, but there was one that I really enjoyed.

'In The Heart of The Sea' with Chris Hemsworth really stood out.        https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/

This is the synopsis

n the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance. The real-life maritime disaster would inspire Herman Melville's Moby-Dick. But that told only half the story. "In the Heart of the Sea" reveals the encounter's harrowing aftermath, as the ship's surviving crew is pushed to their limits and forced to do the unthinkable to stay alive. Braving storms, starvation, panic and despair, the men will call into question their deepest beliefs, from the value of their lives to the morality of their trade, as their captain searches for direction on the open sea and his first mate still seeks to bring the great whale down.

It is the true story that basically inspired Herman Melville's Moby Dick

It is directed by Ron Howard and again, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would highly recommend it to one l. It is tense, but can be viewed by the entire family just younger people might not understand what is happening especially the parts on how they had to stay alive.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

A few of others

'Greenland'

A disaster type of movie about a comet (or something like that) that is about to hit Earth and cause an event so bad that it is forecast to basically wipe out the entire planet. They have selected people among many categories, that will go to this bunker in Greenland, hoping to survive this event and be able to start civilization all over again. Our hero and his family were selected but, of course, there are so many obstacles in the way that makes for the rest of the movie. Some are silly and some, well watch and find out. It was an OK watch, only for the premiss that something like this could possibly happen and what would civilization be like if and when it did. It is watchable if you are into these disaster-type movies.

"Being Flynn"    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455323/ 

I saw Robert DinIro's name in this movie so I figured it should be halfway decent. I was wrong. I really don't know how or why I watched this movie to the end, but I did. It wasn't pleasant, DiNiro plays a thoroughly ugly and angry man, who is an insult to everyone. He calls his son whom he hasn't seen or contacted in 18 years because he is out on the street and has nowhere to go. It tries to explore the new relationship between DiNiro and his son who happens to work in the homeless shelter DiNiro is now in. Why this movie was made is head-scratching, why DiNiro takes these ridiculous parts is also head-scratching. 

Myself, just an uncomfortable movie, I would give it 1 star, just not my thing.

"Battle of the Sexes"      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4622512/

This is a sort of true story of the tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs--it's build-up, the match itself, and the stories of the participants. etc etc. I liked this movie a lot, maybe because of the people who played Billie Jean and Bobby. If you are any sort of sports fan you remember the match they had and even though we know the outcome, it was a very enjoyable watch.

"Five Year Engagement"       https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1195478/

So all the other movies were 'me' movies that I watched ny myself as my darling wife didn't have an interest. So we had to find a movie that she would like and she loves romantic comedies so this movie was next up.
Overall, a silly story of a sous chef who is engaged to this young lady who gets a chance to pursue her dream at a college in Michigan (they are now in San Francisco). Of course, he gives up his job and goes with her, postponing their wedding. The time frame in Michigan gets extended and the movie follows their relationship during this time. Overall, just typical Hollywood formula, Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl split up and boy and girl get back together and live happily ever after. Now you don't have to see the movie. But the two main stars and good supporting stars make this an enjoyable watch.  (See Hallmark movies). OK, I enjoyed it also.  :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I've been watching "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu. It's a bit of a bummer that you can't binge watch it because one episode is released each week (on Tuesdays) and there's only been 5 or 6 episodes released.

Anyway, the plot (I'm going to plagiarize Wiki here) - "Three strangers share an obsession with true crime and suddenly find themselves wrapped up in one. When a grisly death occurs inside their exclusive Upper West Side apartment building, the trio suspects murder and employs their precise knowledge of true crime to investigate the truth."

The three strangers are Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez - all wannabee sleuths. Steve Martin is a washed up TV actor who played a detective; Martin Short is a washed up director; Selena Gomez is unemployed from what I can tell. They all are obsessed with listening to murder mysteries on a podcast so they decide to create their own podcast.

Suspects range from Sting (from the band Police), old ladies, disgruntled loners, a deaf guy, etc. Each week, a new suspect comes along. Light stuff that gives you a chuckle here and there while sticking to a well written script. My favorite chuckle is when Martin Short has to take his dog for a walk and when he steps into the elevator to go to ground, Sting is there. The dog sniffs at Sting's leg (who is a bit of a curmudgeon) who tells Short to keep his dog away....for which Martin tells his dog, "Please don't stand so close to Sting"...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1rQdXXXyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRgyBaTulbs
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Looks interesting, unfortunately we do not have Hulu.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Generally don't watch much TV during the summer months. However we did watch the first few episodes of The Kominsky Method (Netflix), while visiting some friends recently. My wife and I both enjoyed it, so we'll likely pick it back up once the days get shorter.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on October 02, 2021, 02:22:52 PM
Generally don't watch much TV during the summer months. However we did watch the first few episodes of The Kominsky Method (Netflix), while visiting some friends recently. My wife and I both enjoyed it, so we'll likely pick it back up once the days get shorter.

Steve

Different strokes for different folks. We also watched a few episodes a while back, intrigued by the two great stars in the lead. Unfortunately, we just never got into it, and to be honest, left very disappointed. AND, no desire to retry it.

Glad you enjoy it though. Got great reviews, just not for us.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on October 02, 2021, 08:02:21 PM

Steve

Different strokes for different folks. We also watched a few episodes a while back, intrigued by the two great stars in the lead. Unfortunately, we just never got into it, and to be honest, left very disappointed. AND, no desire to retry it.

Glad you enjoy it though. Got great reviews, just not for us.

Same with us on the Kominsky Method. My sis-in-law raved about it. My wife and I gave it two episodes and we were done.
I do like the sound of "Only Murders in the Building", that sounds fun. I think my daughter has a Hulu account. I'll have to check.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2021, 11:56:57 AM

Is anyone watching the new mini-series by Ken burns on Mohammed Ali on PBS? It is a 4 parter and got decent reviews.  I always like Burn's shows but I messed the first 3 episodes. I'll try and DVR it when they repeat it.
[/quote

Olympics and onto his  I was finally able to get all 4 episodes of this series on my DVR and started watching yesterday. I finished chapter 1 which takes us from Cassius Clay's boyhood, they the pro career, ending with his victory over Sonny Liston. Besides being a great series (so far), it also brought back so many memories of boxing at it's peak when a heavyweight boxing match was all the talk of the country, never more so when Clay and then alter Ali was fighting.

Any Ken Burns work is amazing and thru the first chapter, this is also in at category.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on October 07, 2021, 12:14:14 PM
Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2021, 11:56:57 AM

Is anyone watching the new mini-series by Ken burns on Mohammed Ali on PBS? It is a 4 parter and got decent reviews.  I always like Burn's shows but I messed the first 3 episodes. I'll try and DVR it when they repeat it.
[/quote

Olympics and onto his  I was finally able to get all 4 episodes of this series on my DVR and started watching yesterday. I finished chapter 1 which takes us from Cassius Clay's boyhood, they the pro career, ending with his victory over Sonny Liston. Besides being a great series (so far), it also brought back so many memories of boxing at it's peak when a heavyweight boxing match was all the talk of the country, never more so when Clay and then alter Ali was fighting.

Any Ken Burns work is amazing and thru the first chapter, this is also in at category.

I just finished the 4 episode series on Muhammed Ali by Ken Burns and like all his previous works, this one was excellent.

They spent a lot of time on his fights, mostly the main ones, his battles with Joe Frazier, his relationship with Malcolm X, and his joining and remaining a Black Muslim.
I thoroughly enjoyed reliving many of the memories I had lived thru, from his gold medal in the Olympics, thru his first championship against Sonny Liston, his exile from boxing, his return and win over George Foreman, his loss, and then regaining the championship against Leon Spinks.
Most things I knew, but they had many of his children as interviewees, his wives, and his family. What I did not know was how much of a womanizer he was, cheating regularly on his wives and at one time, having two wives. They ended, of course with his Parkinson's, his Olympic moment, and sadly his death,

Myself, I was never a fan of his, personally, but in the ring, it would be hard to find one better. His obsession with belittling his opponents and his not willing to serve his country, well, never had him on my 'must' see list. Just my thought he could have served in the Army as a CO and not have to fight. he could easily have been a public relations guy and given light duty, but he turned his back on his country, at least that's how I see it.

anyway, whatever your opinions of Ali, I would highly recommend this series.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

On a recommendation from 3 friends, I started watching 'Squid Game" a new series on Netflix. On reading about it, it seems to be the #1 new show on Netflix, or, at least, the #1 most-watched show as of now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10919420/

I have watched the first 2 episodes and I will continue to watch it.

For those that never heard of this, it is a Korean show, dubbed in English and with English subtitles for those that need it, like me.

Story or plot-- Some unknown people gather up many people (volunteer wise) into playing a game where they could win a lot of money. Most of people need money badly, as our so-called hero does. It is hard to explain this--so they are assigned a number and told they will play six games and those that finish will be given a lot of money. The first game is the child game, Red Light/Green Light. I really can't or shouldn't say anymore as you have to view it and see the result.

I can say if you don't like blood, don't watch.

I'll keep you informed but it is something different and could be addictive.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I have been hearing about this for the past couple of weeks, but haven't had the time to sit and watch any of it yet. I think the sub-titles are what is putting me off, but I think I will give it a go. It seems to be a kind of Adult Hunger Games type of thing.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on October 15, 2021, 01:24:10 PM
I have been hearing about this for the past couple of weeks, but haven't had the time to sit and watch any of it yet. I think the sub-titles are what is putting me off, but I think I will give it a go. It seems to be a kind of Adult Hunger Games type of thing.

Lou

As I said it is dubbed in English so you do not need the subtitles. I use them as I miss too many words and I can't blast the TV.

I never watched the Hunger Games so I can't compare, but this is pretty good and it sure isn't a kid's show.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

For years I watched "Blacklist", one of the best TV shows ever. After several seasons, I got out of rhythm and missed the last couple of seasons. I just found out that it is now on Netflix so I got caught up.

If you have never watched Blacklist, it's a must see series. Just watch the first couple of episodes and you'll get snagged. And it's well worth it.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I have finished Squid Games and it was very interesting. I liked it and would recommend it.

Seems everyone is talking about this show, and one of the hottest costumes for Holloween is from Squid Games.

Again, this show isn't for everyone. There is lots of killings and lots of blood.

For anyone who doesn't know, it is about a large group of people who need money. They are offered a great deal of money to participate in 6 'children's' type games. Catch is if you lose you die and I won't say any more, but I got hooked and liked it a lot.

Charlie Weiss