News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

I watched a movie yesterday called "Hush". It's about a young female author who is a deaf mute. She lives in an isolated cabin (of course she does!) to try and avoid distractions so she can concentrate on her writing. As you may have already guessed, a masked stranger with a blood lust comes calling.
It was a little silly, like most "slasher" type movies, but I found it enjoyable and entertaining overall. Well acted by the real life husband and wife team who play the author and stalker. There is a good amount of blood and violence, so it won't be for everyone's tastes.
But if you are in a Halloween mood like this kind of thing I would recommend it. It's about 90 minutes long and on Netflix.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

ozzie

Two more movies that I just watched, one a "horror" movie and the other a Halloween Classic of sorts.
The first is called "Vacancy" from 2007. It stars Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale as a couple that have car trouble, check into a low budget motel and then realize bad things have been going on in that motel and it's about to happen to them.
I don't want to give away too much more. I will say it it violent and bloody and moves along at a good pace.

The second is the Disney film "Hocus Pocus". This is a Family Friendly Halloween tale about 3 witches who are hanged in 1693 and are accidently brought back to present day 300 years later. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimi and Sarah Jessica Parker are the witches. Good action, some laughs and a fun movie overall. What I'm trying to figure out is having two daughters, how is it this is the first time I have ever seen this?
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on October 31, 2021, 09:17:32 AM
Two more movies that I just watched, one a "horror" movie and the other a Halloween Classic of sorts.
The first is called "Vacancy" from 2007. It stars Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale as a couple that have car trouble, check into a low budget motel and then realize bad things have been going on in that motel and it's about to happen to them.
I don't want to give away too much more. I will say it it violent and bloody and moves along at a good pace.

The second is the Disney film "Hocus Pocus". This is a Family Friendly Halloween tale about 3 witches who are hanged in 1693 and are accidently brought back to present day 300 years later. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimi and Sarah Jessica Parker are the witches. Good action, some laughs and a fun movie overall. What I'm trying to figure out is having two daughters, how is it this is the first time I have ever seen this?

I have seen Vacancy and if it is what I am thinking about, I also liked it. I used to be a huge fan of the horror, genre, seeing all the classics et al, but after a while, they sort of turned me off. Now I usually avoid them, instead of going for an old Boros Karloff something or other. One of my favorite all-time actors. Loved his throaty voice and he just made everything creepy without having to show people getting beheaded etc.

I have also seen Hocus Pocus,. many years ago. Thought it was cute. Might be a good movie to watch with the grandkids.   :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

On the recommendation of a friend, we started watching a series on Netflix, 'YOU'.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7335184/

Quoteased on Caroline Kepnes' best-selling novel of the same name, YOU is a 21st-century love story that asks, "What would you do for love?" When a brilliant bookstore manager crosses paths with an aspiring writer, his answer becomes clear: anything. Using the internet and social media as his tools to gather the most intimate of details and get close to her, a charming and awkward crush quickly becomes an obsession as he quietly and strategically removes every obstacle - and person - in his way.

My darling wife watched the first episode and left, but I have now finished season one and once you get into it, it isn't bad. As the description alludes to, the main guy is a bit weird but so infatuated with this girl, he goes to some pretty ultra extremes to be with her and know everything about her.
I really was going to turn it off after about 3-4 episodes, but I decided to stay with it and I am pleased I did. I wouldn't call this 'must-watch TV' but if you like stalker types, amusing love and a couple of murders, you might like it. It isn't heavy stuff, in fact, much of it is pretty informal if you know what I mean.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I watched "You" and thought it was decent but not great. It definitely wasn't bad, but it just felt like a wannabe Dexter and was coming up way, way short of that. I couldn't stay with it personally.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2021, 05:12:54 PM
I watched "You" and thought it was decent but not great. It definitely wasn't bad, but it just felt like a wannabe Dexter and was coming up way, way short of that. I couldn't stay with it personally.

Funny, I was also thinking Dexter also, in love.

You seem to feel a lot like I did. Not great, but interesting to a point. I will start season 2 as soon as I can,

Have you tried Squid Games?

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on October 31, 2021, 07:47:50 PM
Funny, I was also thinking Dexter also, in love.

You seem to feel a lot like I did. Not great, but interesting to a point. I will start season 2 as soon as I can,

Have you tried Squid Games?

I literally just started Squid Games and will definitely continue. I have heard nothing but good things. The only knock I have heard is that it gets worse over the course of the show and does not end strong. I have heard that from a few people actually. I'll still watch it though.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2021, 06:54:27 AM
I literally just started Squid Games and will definitely continue. I have heard nothing but good things. The only knock I have heard is that it gets worse over the course of the show and does not end strong. I have heard that from a few people actually. I'll still watch it though.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed in the ending, but it is setting up next season, so I can live with it.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Started "Dopesick" yesterday.

I had high expectations given the buzz and the reviews, and I have to say so far I have not been let down at all. I am a big fan of a number of actors in this show, and the subject matter is absolutely interesting to me. I plan on sticking with it. This seems like my type of show for sure.

DaveBrown74

I'm fully up-to-date on "Dopesick." My view has not changed. This is an absolutely first rate show. The acting is superb, the writing is excellent, and plot line and general subject matter are compelling.

I noticed that "Yellowstone" has started back up. I have generally been a fan of this show. I will be starting this up very soon.

I am also a fan of "Succession." It's one of those shows where every single character is AT BEST a highly flawed person, but it works. It's clever and amusing, and it has not let up on its standards in the third season.

Where I have been highly disappointed has been "The Morning Show." I thought season one was excellent, but season two has been canned, trite, poorly written, and just annoying for the most part. I have been hoping it gets going, and it really just isn't good this season. I have to say it's rare for a show that was as good as it was in season one to be this bad by season two. Usually it takes several seasons for a show to jump the shark like this.

Jolly Blue Giant

Not much has blown air up my skirt (so to say) lately, but I watched "Red Notice" last night and it's the first movie in quite awhile that I really liked. I won't go into detail and be a spoiler, but it's a good flick with a unique story line that stars Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot, and Dwayne Johnson. Just came out on Netflix yesterday.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

I watched RED NOTICE on Saturday night too. Same as you Jolly, I won't spoil anything but I will say I thought it was a really fun movie. A mix of spy thriller, heist movie and Indiana Jones with some laughs throughout. I recommend it!

John Mara

LennG

I watched a highly touted movie on Netflix, 'The Harder They Fall', a new western. This movie got 5 stars from our local paper and the juices were flowing for me to watch it.

I am going to have a hard time with this review, so bear with me.

First, I am a sucker for westerns. I LOVE them. Over the past decade or more, westerns have really become truer to reality, than the old shoot 'em ups, where the good guys never lost their hats no matter what happened to them. Movies like 'The Outlaw Josie Wales, The Unforgiven, and several others have tried to make people really feel what the old west was like, not the TV and older Hollywood types that we grew up with.

So now I sat down to watch this movie. I really don't know how to say this, but I felt this entire movie was racist, towards Whites. I understand most of the movie was done sort of 'tongue in cheek', and maybe it's just my age showing, but I couldn't even finish this movie. Even forgetting how I felt about the characters, when they start having a real shoot 'em up and all the regular guys are killing all the other guys with nary a flesh wound on themselves and they NEVER miss when they shoot, maybe I was missing the entire point, but it just wasn't for me. I can watch an old western movie and live with the way Hollywood did it back then, but for a new movie to make this happen, it was just too over the top for me.

Then we get to, what I felt was so many racist comments. Oh, just so you all know, all the main characters are Black and I just cannot imagine the West is the way it was portrayed here. Every town was Black, and when they did go to a 'White' town, the entire town was White, buildings, streets, sand, and people, and they were all portrayed as either idiots or racists.

I'm sorry, I sit down to watch a movie and when things like these happen, it really rubs me the wrong way. Again, I fully understand most was done 'tongue in cheek' but it just wasn't funny to me, wasn't even amusing to me.

If anyone else has seen this movie or will watch it, please explain to me what I am missing. I don't know who posts here as to race. I know Tim is of African American heritage and if you Tim, see this movie, I would love to have a discussion with you about it, with any other people who might be Black and see how they view this movie.

Let's just say I hated it and be done with it.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on November 15, 2021, 02:01:19 PM
I watched a highly touted movie on Netflix, 'The Harder They Fall', a new western. This movie got 5 stars from our local paper and the juices were flowing for me to watch it.

I am going to have a hard time with this review, so bear with me.

First, I am a sucker for westerns. I LOVE them. Over the past decade or more, westerns have really become truer to reality, than the old shoot 'em ups, where the good guys never lost their hats no matter what happened to them. Movies like 'The Outlaw Josie Wales, The Unforgiven, and several others have tried to make people really feel what the old west was like, not the TV and older Hollywood types that we grew up with.

So now I sat down to watch this movie. I really don't know how to say this, but I felt this entire movie was racist, towards Whites. I understand most of the movie was done sort of 'tongue in cheek', and maybe it's just my age showing, but I couldn't even finish this movie. Even forgetting how I felt about the characters, when they start having a real shoot 'em up and all the regular guys are killing all the other guys with nary a flesh wound on themselves and they NEVER miss when they shoot, maybe I was missing the entire point, but it just wasn't for me. I can watch an old western movie and live with the way Hollywood did it back then, but for a new movie to make this happen, it was just too over the top for me.

Then we get to, what I felt was so many racist comments. Oh, just so you all know, all the main characters are Black and I just cannot imagine the West is the way it was portrayed here. Every town was Black, and when they did go to a 'White' town, the entire town was White, buildings, streets, sand, and people, and they were all portrayed as either idiots or racists.

I'm sorry, I sit down to watch a movie and when things like these happen, it really rubs me the wrong way. Again, I fully understand most was done 'tongue in cheek' but it just wasn't funny to me, wasn't even amusing to me.

If anyone else has seen this movie or will watch it, please explain to me what I am missing. I don't know who posts here as to race. I know Tim is of African American heritage and if you Tim, see this movie, I would love to have a discussion with you about it, with any other people who might be Black and see how they view this movie.

Let's just say I hated it and be done with it.
Len,

Sorry you didn't like it. I liked the way it was done, the setup, the lingering question, and the answer at the end.

Aside from the language, what part(s) did you feel were racist? To me, especially the white town, was all tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a big western movie fan but I enjoyed this from a purely entertainment standpoint.  If I recall correctly, some of the characters were based on real black cowboys. The events were obviously written for the movie.

BTW, Blazing Saddles is probably the best western of all time.

Just kidding, Len! I know that would turn you three shades of red!   =)) =)) =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Sem

I'm a few episodes in to The Chestnut Man (Danish: Kastanjemanden), on Netflix. It's from the book by the same name, written by S