News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Yes, but, at least, you and I and many others, got to enjoy series like Lost and others like it for those few great years. It bothers me to no end when we get a good series, like Manifest, or this one I mentioned, Night Sky, where these series are only 8 episodes long and they can't seem to keep the pedal to the metal for even that long. And YES, that is why series like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, etc. kept it up at such a high level for years and that's why, when we mention good series, these always come out on top.

In Night Sky, the rapport between the two great stars, as a very old and long-married couple, was just brilliant. They had to present some mystery in the show, and that was fine. But why do they have to be ridiculous subplots into it? The two stars can carry this series and yes, they need some mystery as it is billed as such, but when it gets to be silly, well, then I ain't happy. Can't say if there will be a second season, but if there is, I hope they clean it up a bit.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I am just one episode away from completing The Old Man and will finish it this afternoon and will comment on it later.

My wife and I started watching a sort of comedic series on Netflix, 'Emily In Paris'.
We were looking for something lighter as we have been watching more serious stuff and this had great ratings for its 2 seasons.
It is 1/2 hour episodes of this so-called comedy series. It is light and fluffy if that is your thing.
Brief synopsis--Young lady, Emily, gets a chance to work in Paris and she jumps at it. She speaks no french and she has to deal with mostly snobbish French men and women. If you have even been to France or Paris, you will relate to this in a second as they ARE truly snobbish and generally unfriendly to Americans (and almost anyone else).
So, to be brief, we have finished all of season 1 and if I never watched the second season, I wouldn't miss it. It's not bad, but just isn't my cup of tea. My wife liked it a lot more than I did. You can see it is geared for the me generation of social media, high fashion, and just dumb characters.
Overall, I found it silly, but again, that's me and I really don't think it was geared for Grandpa and his like for action, mystery, and adventure.
OK for some, if you want something light and sometimes cutish, but I need something a bit more adult.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

OK, as I said, I finished watching the final episode of The Old Man and after it was over, I said WHAHHHHH. Frankly, I was as confused as I ever was. I did a quick recap on some site on the internet and it explained a lot to me.
Like I didn't pick up Angela was Faraz's real daughter.
I was confused as to who these were these guys who kidnapped her and why only to be killed and she again kidnapped.
I also learned that Jeff Bridges wasn't The Old Man, the older man was the Old Man, and I'm still not sure if he and Lithgow are related in any way.

Just my take--Like so many other series, the first 4 episodes were terrific, then it really started getting confusing with all the flashbacks, which were necessary to explain a lot, but were just too long and too talky. This brings me to my main point about the entire series, it was too talky while saying nothing. They try to beat a dead horse and then explain why they beat it, how they beat it, and what will happen now that they beat it.
Each episode had about 5 minutes of great action and 55 minutes of chatter. I fully enjoyed Jeff Bridges but his raspy voice wears on you after a while.

Anyway, I guess when they start season 2, I will watch and hope things get a bit more unconfusing that I don't ahve to read online what I just watched to understand it.

Charlie Weiss

Slugsy-Narrows

Just got done watching season 3 of the Orville.  I really like this show.

Just started She Hulk Disney+

New Game of Thrones spin off is next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

I finished Stanger Things this week. I am a bit down as I don't have a series I am really enjoying that I can watch anytime I turn on the TV.  I mean I have a few shows I watch, but right now my TV cupboards are bare so to speak
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Just watched 13 Lives, the story of those young boys trapped in a cave in Thailand. Enjoyed it. Ron Howard did another fine job directing. He has a real knack for translating real life drama to film
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

My wife and I started the new Netflix Series about Jeffrey Dahmer. I believe the actual title is "Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story."

We have now watched 4 episodes. I would give it a B+ or so so far. First off, I would not say it's scary. It's more that it's gross. There are a number of scenes so far that made me squeamish, not just involving humans but also involving gutting animal carcasses and what not. Having said that, the guy who plays Dahmer does a good job, and it's interesting to see how this person developed from childhood.

I wouldn't recommend it if you get squeamish easily, as that would make it hard to enjoy, but if you can handle a few gross scenes, then I think it's worth a try. Again I'm only four episodes in, but I wanted to flag it here since I know most of you have Netflix.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2022, 06:00:18 AMMy wife and I started the new Netflix Series about Jeffrey Dahmer. I believe the actual title is "Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story."

We have now watched 4 episodes. I would give it a B+ or so so far. First off, I would not say it's scary. It's more that it's gross. There are a number of scenes so far that made me squeamish, not just involving humans but also involving gutting animal carcasses and what not. Having said that, the guy who plays Dahmer does a good job, and it's interesting to see how this person developed from childhood.

I wouldn't recommend it if you get squeamish easily, as that would make it hard to enjoy, but if you can handle a few gross scenes, then I think it's worth a try. Again I'm only four episodes in, but I wanted to flag it here since I know most of you have Netflix.

I would certainly be interested in A Dalmer story, but what was/is the real purpose of all the som called squeamish scenes? Is that just for grossing people out? To attract a certain type of crowd? Could the story have been told the same way with those particular scenes?

I don't want to get on a soap box, but movies today have to try and make it as real as possible, when, in fact, a good story, acting, a script are every bit as enticing as cursing, nudity, and gore, at least I think so. (Down off my soap box).

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on September 24, 2022, 11:52:23 AMI would certainly be interested in A Dalmer story, but what was/is the real purpose of all the som called squeamish scenes? Is that just for grossing people out? To attract a certain type of crowd? Could the story have been told the same way with those particular scenes?

I don't want to get on a soap box, but movies today have to try and make it as real as possible, when, in fact, a good story, acting, a script are every bit as enticing as cursing, nudity, and gore, at least I think so. (Down off my soap box).

I think they're just trying to show exactly what Dahmer was like and aren't going to sugarcoat it. To that extent I get what they're doing, but it is still gross to watch at times. Apart from that, I think it is good. The guy who plays Dahmer does a very good job coming off as a deranged creep with a complicated past.

LennG

Since I was gone almost 3 1/2 weeks I have a whole lot of catching up to do on some regular shows.

What I have started watching are

Tales of the Walking Dead
This is a somewhat short anthology series, each episode stands alone but it is all based on the same premise as The Walking Dead. I have done 4 episodes (out of 7 I believe) and some were pretty good and one was a bust. If you are or were a fan of TWD, you should tune in, for, at least, episode 3 which explains a lot about
Alpha.

I have also today, just started the new series on Prime, The Rings of Power, a sort of lower-class Lord Of The Rings epic. I am 3 episodes in and it is certainly not LOTR in any way except there are many Elves, Dwarfs, and others. There is very limited action, as LOTR was non-stop. Here, talk is the main theme, but it did start getting interesting at the end of episode 3. I am just very confused as to who is who and what the entire series is trying to say. In LOTR you knew exactly what was going on, all the time (well, most of the time).
I will stay with it and see how it all works out. If you were or are a fan of LOTR give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I will take back what I said about The Rings of Power. I am now thru 5 episodes (that's all that is available at this time, another should air Friday) and it has gotten very interesting, with the coming battle on the horizon. Much of what I was confused about has been tied up and the storyline has gotten compelling.
I was not just a fan of LOTR, but a HUGE fan. I never read the books, but I really got into the story and each year it just got better, so I was with high anticipation for this series to be on.
As I said, the first 3 episodes were talk, talk, and more talk, but what I missed was how it was setting up the main storyline, which really took hold at the end of episode 3. I even went back and rewatched episode one, as maybe I was daydreaming when I originally watched, and after that, I simply couldn't wait to watch the next chapter.
This is NOT like the LOTR trilogy, but it is intriguing enough, and I like it a lot.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Mostly watching sports lately (Yankees, Giants) but have been following a couple of comedies on Hulu: "Reboot" and "Flatch"

Reboot is about a family sitcom from a couple of decades ago rebooted with today's problems and no more family stuff (sex, cussing, things going wrong instead of cutesy right, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0tosYozso&ab_channel=Hulu

Flatch is about documenting small town America (Flatch, Ohio). Very few things to do in a small town so they make their own entertainment, try to make money, a lot of hicks and goofy characters, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQqSZq4ayE&ab_channel=TVPromos

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

squibber

I watched a low budget movie on Tubi called The Oak Room.  If you like story telling, you might like this one.

An alcoholic drifter returns to a bar after being away for months. He owes the bartender for a big tab. The drifter said he has a story to tell him that is so good that if the bartender likes it will he tear up his bar tab? The bartender plays along. At first the bartender is not impressed and tells the drifter a story that will impress him. The drifter implores the bartender to let him finish his story. it is worth it.

I agree. The drifter's story is worth it.  Good movie but a warning. There is a gory scene.

Sem

Quote from: squibber on September 29, 2022, 11:42:36 AMI watched a low budget movie on Tubi called The Oak Room.  If you like story telling, you might like this one.

An alcoholic drifter returns to a bar after being away for months. He owes the bartender for a big tab. The drifter said he has a story to tell him that is so good that if the bartender likes it will he tear up his bar tab? The bartender plays along. At first the bartender is not impressed and tells the drifter a story that will impress him. The drifter implores the bartender to let him finish his story. it is worth it.

I agree. The drifter's story is worth it.  Good movie but a warning. There is a gory scene.

OK, you have my attention. I might check it out.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on September 29, 2022, 11:53:33 AMOK, you have my attention. I might check it out.

Did the mention of the 'gory scene' do it for you Steve?   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Charlie Weiss