News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I have been watching "Fool Me Once" on Netflix.
It is a limited series, I think only 8 or 10 episodes.
An ex-military soldier and her husband get robbed and the husband gets shot and killed. A few days later the wife is looking at Nanny-cam footage and sees the husband playing with their young daughter.  And the mystery begins!
Then as the episodes progress we learn a bit more about her time in the military and about some other tragic events in her family that all seem to be connected.
I don't want to give anything away so I'll stop here.
I'm 4 episodes in and I like it. Intriguing and interesting with some good sub-plots.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on February 12, 2024, 01:57:36 PMI don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I have been watching "Fool Me Once" on Netflix.
An ex-military soldier and her husband get robbed and the husband gets shot and killed. A few days later the wife is looking at Nanny-cam footage and sees the husband playing with their young daughter.  And the mystery begins!
Then as the episodes progress we learn a bit more about her time in the military and about some other tragic events in her family that all seem to be connected.
I'm 4 episodes in and I like it. Intriguing and interesting with some good sub-plots.

Sounds interesting. I'm binging (re-binging) "Nikita" on Roku free television with ads. It's been a long time since I watched it and forgot a lot of it. I only checked it out to see if Roku for free actually worked...and then I got hooked. Great show btw

"Fool Me Once", looks good. I will check it out. Thanks for the tip
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Quote from: ozzie on February 12, 2024, 01:57:36 PMI don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I have been watching "Fool Me Once" on Netflix.

Yes, I watched that one along with the other seven Harlan Coben novels turned into Netflix short series. I may have mentioned them upthread, not sure. I liked them all and found them to be decent but not great, maybe a 7/10. Worth a watch though during these cooler months. If you like Fool Me Once then you'll probably like the other seven as well. When I was done with all eight, and based on my viewing, Netflix recommended Behind Her Eyes, which I just finished last night after watching the Superbowl. It's another British short series, (6 episodes), along the same lines as the Coben series. I may have enjoyed it a slight bit more actually. Lots of plot twists, and you do have to suspend reality a bit, but the payoff is worth it. 8/10.

*Edit: Yes, I did mention this before - https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?msg=936138

ozzie

Thanks for the tip, Sem. I haven't finished Fool Me Once yet, but will definitely check out the others when I am.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

If anyone has Peacock, the movie Oppenheimer will be streaming, starting Friday. I have not seen this as of yet and we are looking forward to it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I finished watching all 3 seasons of The Mandalorian and liked it very much. If you are a Star Wars fan, or a real fan, you will love this series. It is not heart-thumping, edge-of-your-seat fare, but like Star Wars, it has great characters, it has some laughs, and is loaded with action. If this is your thing, this is the series for you.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

And I just finished watching yet another Netflix short series, the six episode first season of The Tourist, set in Australia. Driving across the Outback, an Irishman is suddenly being chased by some guy wearing a cowboy hat and driving an 18 wheeler. After an on-road and off-road chase they eventually collide and the Irishman is left for dead. He eventually wakes up in a hospital with absolutely no memory of who he is or why he's in Australia, and more importantly, why someone apparently wants him dead. I enjoyed it. Season 2 drops on Netflix on February 29th.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_tourist/s01

LennG

All fans of Larry David should know the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm has started. Today, I think the 3rd episode is being dropped. In anticipation of this, we just finished rewatching last season as we had only seen it once (most seasons we have seen 3-4 times), and enjoyed it very much. (how can you not).
Since it is not really a continuing thing, we will start watching it, episode by episode and hopefully enjoying it as much as we did all the other seasons.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

As I mentioned in another post, the movie 'Oppenheimer' previewed on Peacock on Friday night and we sat down last night to hopefully enjoy all 3 hours of this highly-rated movie.
I really won't go into details of the movie, as what is really history, what is Hollywood magic, and who said what to whom we will never know. This movie was the 'hot' thing last year and was nominated for 13 Academy Awards, and the subject matter is right up my alley. (History, especially WWII).

So what did we think--personally, I was a bit disappointed in it. I really felt 3 hours was WAY too long to tell this story. I felt many parts of the movie were dry and talky. I did learn a lot about Oppenheimer his early life and his later life. Again, I won't go into details as I would leave it to anyone who wants to watch to form their own opinion. I just felt the movie jumped around too much, was way over my head when they talked science stuff (which happens a lot) and I just couldn't keep up with who was who as in 'those' days most men dressed alike. Throw in some very unneeded nudity and I am far from being a prude, but why have it in a movie like this except for the fact that they can do it and do, do it?

Overall, it was good. Very adult as there is no way kids, or even young teens would understand anything going on, but again, I was disappointed in that I really wanted it to be something very special, and to me, it wasn't that.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

As I mentioned earlier, I checked out free Roku, downloaded the app on the TV, to see how bad it would be to watch "Nakita" on Roku. Surprisingly...not only was it in HD and the advertisements minimal, I have ended up watching it all over again (on the 2nd of a 4 season series). I'm surprised how little I remember of the show that I watched many years ago. All I can say is that it is a great show. If you liked "Citadel" with Richard Madden and Priyanka Chopra Jonas, then you'll like Nakita. Hot as Maggie Q is though, she doesn't hold a candle Priyanka IMO...however, Lyndsy Fonseca (Alex) could give Priyanka a run for her money

I guess if I can rewatch a show that I watched ten years ago as though it was the first time (with vague memory of the overall plot), then maybe I can re-watch "Ozark" or "Breaking Bad" in a few years. Or on the downside, maybe I'm working my way towards Alzheimer's  :crazy:

Bill Brown

A few things I have seen lately.

The Beekeeper. Typical Jason Statham film

The Iron Claw. The story of the Von Erichs wrestling family. Lots of success and tragedy.

The Cocaine Bear. Not much to say.

The Masters of the Air. This is basically The Band of Brothers but with the men who flew the B-17 bombers over Europe in WWII. This is a 10 part series and I have seen the first 5. Excellent show.

The Dynasty. This is a 10 part series on the Patriots dynasty. Only 2 episodes so far but it's very good.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Since last night and today, I have finished the new season of Reacher. I know I, and some others, have waited patiently for this season to drop and are we satisfied?

Myself, I fully enjoyed this season of Reacher, but IMVHO it wasn't as good as last season. First, this season Reacher is with a crew, which takes away from his own amazing stuff. I found several parts of the plot and other things so unbelievable, that I was shaking my head about them. I will go into a bit more detail in the next paragraph.

So here is a spoiler alert to anyone who hasn't finished this series or plans on watching it, don't read any further until you do.

I am truly not a fan of any of the current, and past superhero-type movies. I feel they are more bubble gum fluff. Don't get me wrong, many, many people enjoy them or else we wouldn't have scads of them around, but overall, they are not for me. I felt this season's version of Reacher sort of fit into that class. My example, he and his crew get into so many firefights with the bad guys, yet they never even get hurt, or shot whatever in these fights, yet 50 or so bad guys are lying on the floor dead or wounded. An example in the final episode, Reacher recruits some other people to help him in his effort. They come out shooting and then there is a mass shooting. Reacher has no idea who these people are as he has never seen them, but in the firefight, why aren't they being targeted by Reacher and his band? Are they wearing, 'do not shoot at me' jerseys? This is just one of several things that happened, that took away some of the real enjoyment of this series. Others may not mind things like this, but I just felt Reacher was trying too hard to be Reacher and the entire series, he and his crew were the X-men, Amazing 4, or whatever is hip these days.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the series but felt some elements were so far over the top, they were just silly. I loved last season's Reacher because Reacher was the show, this season he was sharing with others, still trying to be Reacher.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

You aren't alone, Lenn...a lot of people said they liked Reacher 2, but that it wasn't nearly as good as the first series. Apparently, season 3 is being worked on as we speak, and they took the complaints into consideration. I too, thought a few things were strange, but I won't go into details and be a spoiler

One of them I'll point out that won't ruin for someone was...I thought when "Oscar Finley" (Malcolm Goodwin) the Margrave Chief of Detectives, from the first season, showed up that maybe so would "Roscoe Conklin" (Willa Fitzgerald) would also, but no. I thought they (Reacher and Roscoe) had chemistry in the first season. Not sure why Finley showed up in the second series as he disappeared just as quickly as he appeared out of nowhere

I think the producers are trying to keep as close to the original story by Lee Child when he wrote the books. The first season stayed true to the book...this one not so much. And in every book, he is about as much of a "loner" as there could possibly be, although he always finds one person that helps him...usually a woman. Usually no one though

I don't know if you are much of a reader, but there's 29 "Reacher" books you can read...and they bring as much or more excitement than the movies or series. I'm finishing "Blue Moon" right now and it's very good. I've read pretty much all the others. I read for a half hour to an hour every night in bed. Helps me to go to sleep fast and sound. Sometimes I kill a few chapters during the daytime, but usually 3 or 4 chapters before falling asleep

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 19, 2024, 03:57:41 PMYou aren't alone, Lenn...a lot of people said they liked Reacher 2, but that it wasn't nearly as good as the first series. Apparently, season 3 is being worked on as we speak, and they took the complaints into consideration. I too, thought a few things were strange, but I won't go into details and be a spoiler

One of them I'll point out that won't ruin for someone was...I thought when "Oscar Finley" (Malcolm Goodwin) the Margrave Chief of Detectives, from the first season, showed up that maybe so would "Roscoe Conklin" (Willa Fitzgerald) would also, but no. I thought they (Reacher and Roscoe) had chemistry in the first season. Not sure why Finley showed up in the second series as he disappeared just as quickly as he appeared out of nowhere

I think the producers are trying to keep as close to the original story by Lee Child when he wrote the books. The first season stayed true to the book...this one not so much. And in every book, he is about as much of a "loner" as there could possibly be, although he always finds one person that helps him...usually a woman. Usually no one though

I don't know if you are much of a reader, but there's 29 "Reacher" books you can read...and they bring as much or more excitement than the movies or series. I'm finishing "Blue Moon" right now and it's very good. I've read pretty much all the others. I read for a half hour to an hour every night in bed. Helps me to go to sleep fast and sound. Sometimes I kill a few chapters during the daytime, but usually 3 or 4 chapters before falling asleep

Since I now know you finished Reacher, I would like to discuss certain parts with you, maybe we can start a different thread so as not to spoil anyone else's enjoyment?

Sorry to say I really don't read books much, at all nowadays. I used to love to read and read everything and anything, but maybe thru the last 20 years or so I have not read any books, preferring papers and mostly online stuff. I know though, my loss.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

One thing to keep in mind is that Reacher is always moving around the country. It might be difficult to have a lot of reoccurring characters. I've read all of the books and for the most part he is a loner until the trouble starts.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."