News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The "Undoing"

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 03, 2020, 08:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 14, 2020, 11:57:38 AM
In my opinion, this is the very best performance ever of Edward Norton. I can't wait to hear what you thought of the movie.

GREAT movie!
Yes, Edward Norton was superb in it. I couldn't believe that was his first film role. Great story, excellent acting, interesting and intriguing throughout!
Very worth checking out if you haven't already seen it! Highly recommended! ***** 5 stars
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on December 17, 2020, 05:48:24 PM
GREAT movie!
Yes, Edward Norton was superb in it. I couldn't believe that was his first film role. Great story, excellent acting, interesting and intriguing throughout!
Very worth checking out if you haven't already seen it! Highly recommended! ***** 5 stars

I've been saying for a long time that Primal Fear is a great movie. The court scenes and especially the last scene still blows me away...LOL. And I haven't seen it in a long time but still gets a rise out of me emotionally thinking of that last scene.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

On everyone's recommendation, I finally got to watch this series and agree 100% it was great. I refrained from reading this thread as I wanted to know nothing and go in with a clear mind. Just an excellent watch. Kidman is always good, I loved Hugh Grant as the 'bad guy'. I'm so used to seeing him play those innocent guys in silly comedies, and, of course, Donald Southerland was superb.

So my take, I watch so many of those old crime dramas, Agatha Christy stories etc. etc. that in my mind whomever the obvious killer is, it's usually not them, so I basically eliminated the husband right from the get-go. I also had Southerland as the killer. He had all the motivation, the money and he was perfect as the killer. Each show gave me more and more reason to suspect him. His wife recently passes, he loved the fact that his daughter and grandson were coming to live with him, he hated the husband and the list could go on. The hammer planted at his beach house. He WAS the killer. I really never thought that the son was the killer even when the hammer was found in his violin case. That was just too easy. I did, for a couple of moments think Kidman could really be the killer, as a sort of dual personality. She would have been a second choice.

Maybe I missed the 'plan' as I never really put it all together as you explained, but reading it, it sure as hell was the perfect plan. My question though, how or why did she 'suddenly' figure it out, as opposed to believing him. What made her suddenly know it was her husband and maybe not the victim's husband?

Also, I agree with the poster who said that it was simply unbelievable that the husband killed the woman so suddenly, in fits of rage over basically nothing, and NEVER showed any sort of anger, ever in their 15 years of marriage.

Anyway, a good watch, so thanks for the recommendation.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 29, 2021, 01:47:24 PM
On everyone's recommendation, I finally got to watch this series and agree 100% it was great. I refrained from reading this thread as I wanted to know nothing and go in with a clear mind. Just an excellent watch. Kidman is always good, I loved Hugh Grant as the 'bad guy'. I'm so used to seeing him play those innocent guys in silly comedies, and, of course, Donald Southerland was superb.

So my take, I watch so many of those old crime dramas, Agatha Christy stories etc. etc. that in my mind whomever the obvious killer is, it's usually not them, so I basically eliminated the husband right from the get-go. I also had Southerland as the killer. He had all the motivation, the money and he was perfect as the killer. Each show gave me more and more reason to suspect him. His wife recently passes, he loved the fact that his daughter and grandson were coming to live with him, he hated the husband and the list could go on. The hammer planted at his beach house. He WAS the killer. I really never thought that the son was the killer even when the hammer was found in his violin case. That was just too easy. I did, for a couple of moments think Kidman could really be the killer, as a sort of dual personality. She would have been a second choice.

Maybe I missed the 'plan' as I never really put it all together as you explained, but reading it, it sure as hell was the perfect plan. My question though, how or why did she 'suddenly' figure it out, as opposed to believing him. What made her suddenly know it was her husband and maybe not the victim's husband?

Also, I agree with the poster who said that it was simply unbelievable that the husband killed the woman so suddenly, in fits of rage over basically nothing, and NEVER showed any sort of anger, ever in their 15 years of marriage.

Anyway, a good watch, so thanks for the recommendation.

Great minds must think alike, LOL. Your suspicions were exactly as mine. I told my girlfriend over and over it was Sutherland and each week, something added to that suspicion. I figured he planted the hammer and did everything possible to point the finger at Grant...who, like you said, hated him. He actually passionately despised him and seemed he wanted his daughter all to himself.

As far as when the wife figured it out, I think (being a professional therapist/psychologist) she had an understanding of human behavior so well, she knew as soon as Grant's mother called her on the phone and explained about his sister that everything she thought about Grant was wrong and that he had a great ability to hide his true self. Grant's lack of interest or his ability to hide any emotion regarding his sister doesn't add up to a "caring, empathetic, and loving" person. In fact, it's the trademark of a psychopath.

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 29, 2021, 03:09:48 PM
Great minds must think alike, LOL. Your suspicions were exactly as mine. I told my girlfriend over and over it was Sutherland and each week, something added to that suspicion. I figured he planted the hammer and did everything possible to point the finger at Grant...who, like you said, hated him. He actually passionately despised him and seemed he wanted his daughter all to himself.

As far as when the wife figured it out, I think (being a professional therapist/psychologist) she had an understanding of human behavior so well, she knew as soon as Grant's mother called her on the phone and explained about his sister that everything she thought about Grant was wrong and that he had a great ability to hide his true self. Grant's lack of interest or his ability to hide any emotion regarding his sister doesn't add up to a "caring, empathetic, and loving" person. In fact, it's the trademark of a psychopath.

Agreed, but try an I might, even though she was a psychiatrist and understand human behavior, and then realizing that the man she married showed no remorse, but he had to show love and tenderness etc. He wasn't a so-called mindless, remorseless zombie. AND that doesn't make him a killer. Sure she was pissed at him but she still stuck by him until that point.
Her lawyer wanted suspicion pointed at the dead girl's husband. he really had the most interest in seeing her dead. I still can't get how that proverbial 'lightbulb' went off in Kidman's mind, and the plot was hatched. Throughout the show, you couldn't be definitely sure it wasn't the other husband. Granted that Hugh Grant's story was so ridiculous, he was there, they made love, he left, then came back--silly, but people did believe it.

And we are so attuned to never suspect the obvious, that we look for, who is the most unlikely guy to be the murderer--Sutherland, that we immediately go right there. Good stuff anyway.

PS, ever get to watch the last season of Fargo?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 29, 2021, 05:22:41 PM
Agreed, but try an I might, even though she was a psychiatrist and understand human behavior, and then realizing that the man she married showed no remorse, but he had to show love and tenderness etc. He wasn't a so-called mindless, remorseless zombie. AND that doesn't make him a killer. Sure she was pissed at him but she still stuck by him until that point.
Her lawyer wanted suspicion pointed at the dead girl's husband. he really had the most interest in seeing her dead. I still can't get how that proverbial 'lightbulb' went off in Kidman's mind, and the plot was hatched. Throughout the show, you couldn't be definitely sure it wasn't the other husband. Granted that Hugh Grant's story was so ridiculous, he was there, they made love, he left, then came back--silly, but people did believe it.

And we are so attuned to never suspect the obvious, that we look for, who is the most unlikely guy to be the murderer--Sutherland, that we immediately go right there. Good stuff anyway.

I watched the first 5 episodes and was into it, but my girlfriend absolutely hated it (no big deal, she hates most of the shows I like) and then Hulu was canceled by mistake after I was forced to cancel my credit card after someone (a slimeball) in California got my numbers and tried to use it. Took forever to get Hulu back up, but I still haven't had the TV to myself anyway and have had too much stuff going on (surgery on my head, a friend's death, another friend's father passing, dealing with a lawyer on a tough case, trying to get my elderly parents vaccinated....and just a whole lot of stuff). Anyway, I will get back to it at some point. Wish my girlfriend had a job (that she has to go to) right now, LOL

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 29, 2021, 05:22:41 PM

Finally got around to it and loved it. It started slow, but built in intensity until it was a "must watch" whenever I had the chance to sit down and watch tv. Disappointed with the ending, but then I remembered how pretty much every Fargo series ends....  :laugh:

I thought Chris Rock did a superb job and I was highly skeptical that he could pull off a serious bad guy role. He certainly pulled it off. I liked Timothy Olyphant's role and was surprised how his role ended...again, this is Fargo LOL

LennG

Agree about Chris Rock, only he was 'on paper' a bad guy, but he really wasn't a 'real' bad guy in the sense we know them.

Also, I was so enthused when I saw Timothy  Olyphant's name in the credits and I was pretty disappointed in his role here, especially his end.

Have you ever watched Justified? Just a terrific series with him as the star. I think it ran for 4-5 years. Also just loved him in Deadwood. A show that never should have been canceled.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Yeah, I watched "Justified" and always liked Olyphant. Like you, I was taken aback a bit at his demise. There was a lot of dark humor in this series - a whacko nurse, the girl literally crapping her pants over and over while in the midst of a robbery, the idiot brother with the bug eyes tripping and "bang", etc. The nurse saying, "can you kill him first so I can watch him die" was just a sample of her whacked out brain. All in all, a good watch.