News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How the times have changed

Started by LennG, February 10, 2021, 11:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Aunt Jemima Officially Has A New Name: Pearl Milling Company

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/aunt-jemima-officially-has-a-new-name-pearl-milling-company/ar-BB1dzlCs?li=BBnb7Kw&ocid=mailsignout

Is this something anyone wants to discuss? Myself, I can definitely understand why the pix needed to be replaced, but the name Aunt Jemina? Does just the name convey images of Racial stereotypes? 

I know for myself, and I have no inner meaning, but I have enjoyed these items since I was a kid and no matter what they call it now, it will always be Aunt Jemina to me. Just like many other things that have name changes, you grow up with a certain name and it sort of sticks. And no offense meant to any of the new or old names.

Sorry but I will NEVER call the old Tappen Zee Bridge, the Mario Cuomo Bridge.  NEVER   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Len,

I am going to share something with you and it's not to offend you in any way.    I started working with carpenters and cabinet makers back in the 1980s and they were on the older side.   Now there is a corrugated nail that looks like this:

Now the old-time carpenters that I worked with would call these "Jew nails".    Now before I shared this story I did a quick Google search to learn the origin of that slang.  I think the reason for the slang name was that these fasteners played a similar role as wooden pegs when you were creating joints and framing.   As you are likely aware Jewish law requires that coffins not use metal nails or screws but rather glue and wooden pegs.  So that is likely how those fasteners gained that name.   So it wasn't really anti-Semitic (per se) but clearly, it was lacking in cultural sensitivity.

Now to circle back to the topic at hand, how would you like to go to your local Home Depot and be treated to the sight of boxes of these fasteners with the name "Jew nails" and a picture of a respectable Jewish man on the box?   I am pretty sure you wouldn't like that.    I think the same applies to Aunt Jemima.  Sure they have removed the stereotype/caricature of an African American slave/kitchen worker (that the name conjures up) and people may not use that name in the same way anymore, but its origins are still tainted and it's not much different than the example I gave you.

Besides a brand is supposed to bring value to your product.  If your branding offends a significant portion of the population you wish to sell the product to it's a good idea to change it.  It will take time and money for Quaker Oats to market the new "Pearl Mills' brand but in the end, it has a much higher potential in terms of value than their current one has. 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I understand your point and I did know the story behind the image you put up.

I might be embarrassed if I had to go into Home Depot and ask for a Jew Nail, but overall, I wouldn't mind if it were used in general conversation. It wasn't meant in a derogatory way and I might use it myself if that were the prevailing name for it. We are creatures of habit.

Growing up, as I said, we used Aunt Jemina products all the time. I still have an image of what Aunt Jemina looked like but I also remember thinking that that is what an Aunt might make for us, if she were preparing pancakes or whatever. Yes, the pix was very stereotyped of the old Black image, but I was referring to the name itself, Aunt Jemina. To me it just brought back memories of a good breakfast and not a sort of 'Mammy' figure. Again, I certainly understand the stereotype and you are probably right. But, again,  as I said, it is just another part of early memories that have been taken away.  Not an image of a old Black woman, but a wonderful breakfast.
I hope I am making myself clear here, the mention of Aunt Jemina, to me, brought up visions of good food made by someone who cared. The new image, while politically correct, conjures up an image or corporate money and nothing to do with good food.

So the times are changing, and probably for the better.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Len,

The name and the image are forever linked. The name wasn't/isn't derogatory but many feel the image harkens back to a time when Blacks were slaves and weren't compensated or given credit for their work. Slavery was bad enough but now their likeness is being used to profit without a cent going to whomever was the inspiration for Aunt Jemima.

Change the image to whatever but as soon as someone says "Aunt Jemima" we know what the image in their mind would be.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: T200 on February 11, 2021, 10:15:45 AM
Len,

The name and the image are forever linked. The name wasn't/isn't derogatory but many feel the image harkens back to a time when Blacks were slaves and weren't compensated or given credit for their work. Slavery was bad enough but now their likeness is being used to profit without a cent going to whomever was the inspiration for Aunt Jemima.

Change the image to whatever but as soon as someone says "Aunt Jemima" we know what the image in their mind would be.

I understand Tim, and I can make no argument with what you say. As I said, I was brought up on this and if I were to mention Aunt Jemina, no matter who was on the box, I probably would think of that lady who first represented the product.

Maybe it's the new name, which doesn't conjure up an image of anything that really bothers me.

I guess we can say the same thing for another of my favorite products, Uncle Ben's rice. Is that gone also?

Charlie Weiss

GIANTS1

Somebody mentioned Quaker oats above. Im sick of them pushing their religion on me.  LOL

T200

Quote from: LennG on February 11, 2021, 04:41:09 PM
I understand Tim, and I can make no argument with what you say. As I said, I was brought up on this and if I were to mention Aunt Jemina, no matter who was on the box, I probably would think of that lady who first represented the product.

Maybe it's the new name, which doesn't conjure up an image of anything that really bothers me.

I guess we can say the same thing for another of my favorite products, Uncle Ben's rice. Is that gone also?
We all were, Len. Including Uncle Ben's, now known as Ben's Original. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-bens-original-rice-20200923-dvnszvau4bcl7nm64dsr3a7yty-story.html

I don't want to stray too far from your original post and thought. But just discussing this reminds me of the power (good and bad) of imagery in all its forms. I'll leave it at that.

LennG

Quote from: T200 on February 11, 2021, 07:00:11 PM
We all were, Len. Including Uncle Ben's, now known as Ben's Original. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-bens-original-rice-20200923-dvnszvau4bcl7nm64dsr3a7yty-story.html

I don't want to stray too far from your original post and thought. But just discussing this reminds me of the power (good and bad) of imagery in all its forms. I'll leave it at that.

Did they update the image on 'Ben's Original?'

Charlie Weiss

T200

They removed him altogether. It's just the name.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk