News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hearing Aids

Started by Shoelessjoe, February 13, 2021, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoelessjoe

This past week my wife and I each got a set of hearing aids.  The place where my wife retired from has a good insurance policy that covers hearing aids up to $4,000 for each of us so we agreed that we take advantage of it while it was available to us.  We went to get tested and finally got fitted this past thursday.  I can now hear things that I never heard before.  Like a light switch making a strange sound. The other day when we were checking out of a grocery store I mumbled something with my back turned away from her and she heard everything that I said. I don't know if this is a good thing.

The pieces that fit in the back of the ear have blue tooth so we are able to connect my cell phone to the devices and listen to music, podcast or whatever.  We got the one that recharge so we don't have to change the batteries.

Now all we need is for this state to get some vaccines so that we can protected.  We are on several wait list but we have been checking with the state, the local hospital, and pharmacies and nothing is available.

T200

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on February 13, 2021, 10:05:22 PM
This past week my wife and I each got a set of hearing aids.  The place where my wife retired from has a good insurance policy that covers hearing aids up to $4,000 for each of us so we agreed that we take advantage of it while it was available to us.  We went to get tested and finally got fitted this past thursday.  I can now hear things that I never heard before.  Like a light switch making a strange sound. The other day when we were checking out of a grocery store I mumbled something with my back turned away from her and she heard everything that I said. I don't know if this is a good thing.

The pieces that fit in the back of the ear have blue tooth so we are able to connect my cell phone to the devices and listen to music, podcast or whatever.  We got the one that recharge so we don't have to change the batteries.

Now all we need is for this state to get some vaccines so that we can protected.  We are on several wait list but we have been checking with the state, the local hospital, and pharmacies and nothing is available.
As soon as I read that, I immediately thought of this commercial:

https://youtu.be/xwSqSITCLCk

Glad you have supersonic hearing!  =))

What brand did you get? I've been thinking about getting one for my left ear. I had surgery a while ago to remove a tumor that diminished my hearing by about 40%.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Frank: Welcome to the electronic age of hearing aid technology.  I'll soon need one, too, so I read your post with great interest. 

Since my wife seems to need one even more than me, I have double the interest (or, maybe she's just ignoring me most of the time LOL).

Be sure to let us know if you pick up any police broadcasts or messages from outer space!!!

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on February 14, 2021, 10:19:42 AM
I've been thinking about getting one for my left ear. I had surgery a while ago to remove a tumor that diminished my hearing by about 40%.

Tim: Just one more way in which we are alike (no offense LOL).  As a child I had a bunch of left ear infections and probably mastoiditis to (memory is fuzzy) so I may have to get one some day soon.

Also, played in a loud band for many years (although it didn't seem to affect the hearing in my right ear at all). 

I have an iPad app for self-testing (available free for any Apple computer, but you need headphones, preferably good ones that fit over the ears, but it works with any type).  It's called Hearing Test (big surprise). 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 14, 2021, 10:49:43 AM
Tim: Just one more way in which we are alike (no offense LOL).  As a child I had a bunch of left ear infections and probably mastoiditis to (memory is fuzzy) so I may have to get one some day soon.

Also, played in a loud band for many years (although it didn't seem to affect the hearing in my right ear at all). 

I have an iPad app for self-testing (available free for any Apple computer, but you need headphones, preferably good ones that fit over the ears, but it works with any type).  It's called Hearing Test (big surprise). 

Bob
I don't have any problems being like you, Bob!  :ok:

Speaking of headphones, that's my other hurdle to getting a hearing aid. My current earbuds of choice are my PowerBeats. Love the sound quality and the ear hooks to keep them in place. If I do get a hearing aid I'll have to make sure I keep track of it.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Frank

Welcome to 'old age'.

My hearing was bad. My wife, being a retired UFT (Teachers Union) had a great also for hearing aids. But, I heard the VA was better, so about 3 years ago, I went and got tested and approved for hearing aids for both ears. Yes, they are a boon to all who cannot hear well. I truly never believed I needed them. My biggest problem was hearing people in a crowd, or at dinner with several couples. I just could NOT hear a darn thing anyone said and would nod or laugh as my wife did. With the hearing aids, I cannot say I hear every word. as I find certain voice distinctions still give me trouble, be they are high pitch, or very bass. I watch TV with the captions on because I still miss a word here or there and it could ruin the plot or joke or whatever I am watching. With that said, they have been a boon to me in my everyday life. I no longer have to blast the radio in the car, put the TV volume up into the 50's level. I did have a problem a while back as my granddaughter snuck up behind me and screamed in my right ear. Really, since then the hearing level in that ear is lower than my other ear. I had it checked and they found no problem, but it is harder to hear out of that ear even with the hearing aid.
We also had the choice of the rechargeable or batteries, and I opted for the battery model, as I know I will forget to charge them some night (like falling asleep with them in, or whatever). I do not have to pay for batteries thru the VA, so, again, I felt that is the way for us to go. Mine also has that blu-tooth compatibility, but since I rarely use my phone for anything other than calling someone, I haven't taken advantage of that feature.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss