News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Books and Authors you love

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 25, 2021, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Okay, I'm a big reader and love certain genres like action/thrillers, mysteries, legal thrillers, and certain times of my life, history (middle ages, Egyptian, ancient Chinese, European, Early American, etc.) Since settling in with a girlfriend for the past 3 years or so and my getting into the stock market, I've not had the time or inclination to read a book a week like I did for many years. I'd like to get back to that but it doesn't fit in well with keeping my girlfriend happy and adequately playing the market.

My favorite authors are: David Baldacci, Vince Flynn (may he rest in peace), Daniel Silva, Robert Crais, Lee Child, Preston and Child (not Lee, but Lincoln Child younger brother of Lee Child), Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler (may he rest in peace), Michael Chrichton (may he rest in peace), John Grisham, John Lescroart, etc.

Anyway, to get to the point of this thread, whoever on here suggested I give Carl Hiaasen a try, I want to thank him. I picked up "Bad Monkey" and "Razor Girl" a few months ago but just finally got around to reading one of the books...i.e., "Razor Girl". I haven't had a book captivate me like this since I read Chrichton's "Jurassic Park" in 1990 when I pick up the book at an airport and read it on my way to San Francisco for a business trip (probably the best book I ever read and the worst movie about a book ever made - turned a great story into multiple chase scenes...for visual effect and excitement I suspect).

I like thrillers that take place in various parts of the world because it's like taking a free trip. I like novels about Florida (as I've lived there in the past) and have read many of Randy Wayne White's novels, but by far, Hiaasen really paints a picture with words, develops a keen interest while injecting just the right amount of humor to keep me both deeply interested in the story while finding myself chuckling along the way. I think the term, "couldn't put it down" is a grossly overused term in book reviews - IMO, but it actually applies to "Razor Girl" (for me anyway).

Regardless, I want to thank the guy on here again for suggesting giving Hiaasen a try. Great author!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

I'm a classics guy, so if you're looking for modern authors and stuff like my wife reads (James Rollins, Tom Clancey, etc.) then there's probably no need to read the rest of this.

James A. Michener - Pulitzer Prize winner. Just read "Hawaii" and have read several others.  If you like historical novels, he's your man.  I mention "Hawaii" in particular (and first) because as I was reading it, it occurred to me that there is a STARTLING parallel between the machinations of his main characters and the manner in which today's "big shots" (politicians and heads of industry) attempt to manipulate our politics and culture "for the good of all" (which, interestingly, always seems to coincide with whatever is to THEIR advantage).  If anyone would like me to further specify some of the living people to whom I'm referring I'd be glad to do so.

Jules Verne - I have read nearly all of his best-known works. If you like reading descriptions of this world which paint a vivid picture of living creatures and our surroundings (whether on land, at sea or in the air) then his books will entertain you. If you read ABOUT this man, you'll find that he was very much into knowing and writing about the latest "science" of his day. In particular, I highly recommend "From The Earth To The Moon," "Around The World In Eighty Days," and of course his masterpiece, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

H. G. Wells - Possibly my favorite author, but see below.  Great plots; many consider him to be the founding father of modern day science fiction (as opposed to Verne's works, which are also science fiction, but he uses more mundane themes by comparison to Wells).  My recommendation is to go beyond the Wells' obvious works ("The Invisible Man," "The War Of The Worlds," "The Time Machine") and try a lesser-known book such as  "The Island of Mr. Moreau" (made into a truly awful movie, unlike the ones already mentioned), "When The Sleeper Wakes," "In The Days Of The Comet," and "The Food Of The Gods."  All are well worth reading, IMO.

Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) - There is no bigger fan of the Sherlock Holmes books (I have read every one of them at least twice). Where do you start if you have never read any? Probably with "A Study In Scarlet" (it was the first published, so it introduces Sherlock, Watson, and of their idiosyncrasies).  The major works, in order of publication, are "A Study in Scarlet" "The Sign of the Four" "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Valley of Fear."  If reading a whole book seems too daunting because you suspect you may not be interested... no problem.  Just read one or two short stories, which were published in the following volumes (they were published in the following order: "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes," "The Return of Sherlock Holmes," and "His Last Bow").  If you want to know which of Doyle's short works were his personal favorites, go here:  https://lithub.com/the-12-best-sherlock-holmes-stories-according-to-arthur-conan-doyle/  I really can't say enough about this guy and his work, so I'll just quit now LOL.

Other favorite authors: J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Dickens, Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Jack London.

Other comments: It's just me personally, I guess, but there are very few authors I really like (except Verne) who wrote in a language other than my native tongue. Translated books, I suspect, lose something in the translation (or could it be that, without a shared native and culture background, I just don't "get it"?).  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about this topic (if anyone reads this far into my far-too-long post LOL).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 25, 2021, 11:06:16 AM
Okay, I'm a big reader and love certain genres like action/thrillers, mysteries, legal thrillers, and certain times of my life, history (middle ages, Egyptian, ancient Chinese, European, Early American, etc.) Since settling in with a girlfriend for the past 3 years or so and my getting into the stock market, I've not had the time or inclination to read a book a week like I did for many years. I'd like to get back to that but it doesn't fit in well with keeping my girlfriend happy and adequately playing the market.

My favorite authors are: David Baldacci, Vince Flynn (may he rest in peace), Daniel Silva, Robert Crais, Lee Child, Preston and Child (not Lee, but Lincoln Child younger brother of Lee Child), Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler (may he rest in peace), Michael Chrichton (may he rest in peace), John Grisham, John Lescroart, etc.

Anyway, to get to the point of this thread, whoever on here suggested I give Carl Hiaasen a try, I want to thank him. I picked up "Bad Monkey" and "Razor Girl" a few months ago but just finally got around to reading one of the books...i.e., "Razor Girl". I haven't had a book captivate me like this since I read Chrichton's "Jurassic Park" in 1990 when I pick up the book at an airport and read it on my way to San Francisco for a business trip (probably the best book I ever read and the worst movie about a book ever made - turned a great story into multiple chase scenes...for visual effect and excitement I suspect).

I like thrillers that take place in various parts of the world because it's like taking a free trip. I like novels about Florida (as I've lived there in the past) and have read many of Randy Wayne White's novels, but by far, Hiaasen really paints a picture with words, develops a keen interest while injecting just the right amount of humor to keep me both deeply interested in the story while finding myself chuckling along the way. I think the term, "couldn't put it down" is a grossly overused term in book reviews - IMO, but it actually applies to "Razor Girl" (for me anyway).

Regardless, I want to thank the guy on here again for suggesting giving Hiaasen a try. Great author!

That was me. I'm glad you enjoyed those two books. Actually I haven't finished Razor Girl and have yet to read Bad Monkey, so I'm a bit behind. But I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed, all his other books. While not really necessary I'd recommend you start from the beginning (Tourist Season), and read them in chronological order. Some characters (and events) are recurring so it's good to know their back-story. One such character is Clinton "Skink" Tyree, truly one of the most fascinating characters you'll likely ever read about. But getting his story in order would be helpful to understanding him in later books.

I think Hiaasen is still writing a weekly opinion piece in the Miami Herald. I used to read it online, but haven't in years. His writing style and humor is really evident in his column.

His brother Rob was one of five people shot and killed at the Capital Gazette a couple years ago. You may remember it in the news. https://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/columns/ac-ce-column-carl-hiaasen-20180909-story.html

Quick and brief story - a few years ago I was flying between NY and LA, and a couple rows in front of me and across the aisle was a very large man, poured into an economy seat, and reading a book. I had my headphones on listening to music but I was watching him and every once in a while his whole body would shake like jello as he laughed. Later on as he got up I was able to see the book he was reading - Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen.

Sem

One other author recommendation I have is Ridley Pearson, (action/mystery). While I haven't read of all his books I have read his entire Detective Lou Boldt series and all his stand alone novels listed on his wiki page. All those have been intense, engaging, and very enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridley_Pearson

ozzie

I'll start off by saying I like this subject!  :ok:
My tastes run more to the Fantasy genre and my absolute favorite author is Terry Brooks. He is best know for his "Shannara" series, which he just finished up with his latest book, but he has written a couple of other series too.
I like Robert A. Salvatore and I love Robert E. Howard and his work.
Other authors I have gotten into are Michael Crighton, H.G. Wells, H.P. Lovecraft and Dean Koonce.
I have read my fair share of biographies too. It all depends on the subject.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Reading Bob's list brought a big smile to my face. I really don't read as much now but when I did, I read all the classics and Sherlock Holmes was my absolute favorite. I read the anthology many, many times.
I also read all the Ian Fleming--James Bond books. Add to that I simply loved James Mitchener, Ludlow, Phillip Roth and everyone's all time favorite Salinger.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on February 25, 2021, 09:07:59 PM
Reading Bob's list brought a big smile to my face. I really don't read as much now but when I did, I read all the classics and Sherlock Holmes was my absolute favorite. I read the anthology many, many times.
I also read all the Ian Fleming--James Bond books. Add to that I simply loved James Mitchener, Ludlow, Phillip Roth and everyone's all time favorite Salinger.

Lenn: I don't read as much any more either.  The old gray eyesight she ain't what she used to be.  Bob

jimv

Bob, I'm as big a fan of Holmes as you are.  I have the Holmes anthology, presented in the order in which they were written.  I've read the whole bunch several times. I also have have all the British TV series starring Jeremy Brett.  He is, IMO, the quintessential Holmes.  JRR Tolkien is also great, my favorite of course being "Lord of the Rings."   Another book turning into a close rendition on the screen.  It's getting late & bed calls, so I'll sign off and add some other tomorrow.

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on February 26, 2021, 12:48:38 AM
Bob, I'm as big a fan of Holmes as you are.  I have the Holmes anthology, presented in the order in which they were written.  I've read the whole bunch several times. I also have have all the British TV series starring Jeremy Brett.  He is, IMO, the quintessential Holmes.  JRR Tolkien is also great, my favorite of course being "Lord of the Rings."   Another book turning into a close rendition on the screen.  It's getting late & bed calls, so I'll sign off and add some other tomorrow.

jim: I have the Jeremy Brett set but also a complete collection of the Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce series from even longer ago.... on VCR!!!! (LOL I'm farily sure I also have it on DVD because my one remaining working VCR is not too reliable and occasionally eats the tapes!).  I assume you have seen all of most of them (although most aficionados probably prefer the Brett series, I'm a great fan of the Rathbone set).  Bob

jimv

Bob, I enjoyed the Rathbone/Bruce pix when the first came out.  That's Before I read the actual stories.  Except for the first two films, the series thrust Holmes into modern times.  In one film, he was actually fighting Nazis!  And, Bruce depicted Watson as a bumbling oaf, far from the "real" Watson.  No, I'm think I'll just stick with the Brett portrayal.  Sorry to disagree.  But, glad to see that we're both Holmes' buffs.

BTW, there are two other odd Holmes' films that I really enjoyed.  The first is "Murder by Decree" with Christopher Plummer as Holmes & James Mason as Watson.  It thrusts Holmes into the story of Jack the Ripper.  The other is "Mr. Holmes" with Ian McKellen as the aging retired Holmes ^ Laura Linney as his housekeeper.  I highly recommend both.

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on February 26, 2021, 09:31:09 AM
Bob, I enjoyed the Rathbone/Bruce pix when the first came out.  That's Before I read the actual stories.  Except for the first two films, the series thrust Holmes into modern times.  In one film, he was actually fighting Nazis!  And, Bruce depicted Watson as a bumbling oaf, far from the "real" Watson.  No, I'm think I'll just stick with the Brett portrayal.  Sorry to disagree.  But, glad to see that we're both Holmes' buffs.

BTW, there are two other odd Holmes' films that I really enjoyed.  The first is "Murder by Decree" with Christopher Plummer as Holmes & James Mason as Watson.  It thrusts Holmes into the story of Jack the Ripper.  The other is "Mr. Holmes" with Ian McKellen as the aging retired Holmes ^ Laura Linney as his housekeeper.  I highly recommend both.

jim: Our circumstances (viewing the movies before reading the books) are parallel.  I just accept the Rathbone movies (as you probably also do) as general entertainment rather than as depictions of the books.  Viewed in that regard I think they stand up well.  Viewed from a literary perspective, clearly they fall short. Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on February 25, 2021, 01:26:25 PM
One other author recommendation I have is Ridley Pearson, (action/mystery). While I haven't read of all his books I have read his entire Detective Lou Boldt series and all his stand alone novels listed on his wiki page. All those have been intense, engaging, and very enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridley_Pearson

Now that I know it was you who suggested I give Carl Hiaasen a shot, I want to thank you personally.  :ok:

I've read all the Walt Fleming series from Ridley Pearson and enjoyed them. Haven't read the Lou Boldt series, but I'm familiar with him because he showed up in one of the Fleming series (In Harm's Way I believe) to help out after finding a body in Seattle with connections to Fleming's town. Pearson is a good writer, especially if you want to become immersed in ultra-rural Idaho near the Sun Valley area to see how others live in different areas of the country. Much like James Lee Burke if you want to get a feel for what it's like to live in rural Louisiana. Burke is also a good writer.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

philo43

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 25, 2021, 11:06:16 AM

Great topic.

I agree with all the authors you mentioned and add to it Tom Clancy (may he rest in peace, favorite is Without Remorse), Stuart Woods - just humorous, Brad Thor and Brad Meltzer.  Hiaasen is great as you mentioned.  One of the things I like is authors like Flynn (Mitch Rapp), Clancy (Jack Ryan) and Cussler (almost all of his series - Pitt, Oregon Files, Fargo  etc) brought on coauthors so that their franchises continue after their deaths.

I probably have not "read" more than 2 or 3 books in the last 10 years, I fall asleep about a chapter in.  However, I have consumed 400 - 500 books (probably more ) in that period through audio books.  I have a free account to the New York Public Library (which has thousands of titles available) that I get my books from.  Anyone in NY can get an account.  My daughter gets hers through the Richmond VA library, so I assume the service is available in every state.

No purchasing a book and feel obligated to read it, no trips to the library to check out and return it.  Have tried many new authors this way - a few good, many not so - just quit listening and delete.

While you don't retain as much listening as opposed to reading, it was a great find for me.  80% of the time I am not being paid on the books, I have an earbud in and listening to a book.  Especially great when mowing the yard, doing menial labor, digging out stumps etc or traveling.  Never listen when working with power tools!

jimv

To pick up where I left off last night, I just devoured the Tom Clancy books.  When I started one, it was hard to put down. 

We have a famous author up here in Maine; Stephen King.  I really enjoyed his initial group of books because he often talked about places here in Maine.  In one book, I forget which, he described exactly the downtown area of Gorham, where I live.  My favorite is "Salem's Lot." When he wrote "The Green Mile," he did it as a serial.  When I'd get a part, I'd read it quickly and then sit on pins & needles until the next part came.  The movie of it was well done.   I knew the lady who had him in her H.S. English class.  She was holding a session on why authors wrote.  He popped up & said, "To make money."  Well, he sure has.

I've read all of the Kenneth Roberts' historical novels & I loved them all.  MGM did a really good job on Book I of "Northwest Passage," but they changed the ending drastically.  I've read & enjoyed Ken Follett's historical novels "Pillars of the Earth" & "A Place Called Freedom."  And, of course, I've also enjoyed many of John Grisham's books.   Another favorite of mine is "We Were Soldiers and Young," a true account of the Vietnam war experiences of Lt. Gen. Hal Moore.  The movie did an excellent job of it even while cutting out parts.

I've read books on the Giants and selected current events (political) books lately; and not that many at all.  I tend to fall asleep if I try reading too long.

jimv

I've bought & read most of the Brother Carfael stories by Ellis Peters.  GREAT!!!  I also have all of the episodes that BBC has filmed.  Again, GREAT!!!