News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sitcoms worth watching

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 25, 2021, 11:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm a movie buff and watch Netflix, Prime, and Hulu more than traditional television. I usually watch a movie each night, but since a movie tends to generate a certain intensity, I like to watch a half hour sitcom afterwards to laugh a bit and then call it a night. In the past, there were very few sitcoms that I really looked forward to...Seinfeld, Three and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. I still watch the occasional Three and Half Men reruns. I felt bad when I read the news that Conchata Ferrell (Berta) died last year from Covid (may she rest in peace). Show was hilarious and still is...even if Charlie Sheen is a personal mess. Some of the best lines I've ever heard came from that show.

Regardless, there's a few rather obscure sitcoms I've found on Hulu that have really gotten my attention and figured I'd share. The one I'm watching right now is called, "The Guest Book". It has absolutely put me in stitches. Great cast, great writing, and just plain funny. Written by Greg Garcia who wrote "Raising Hope", "My Name is Earl", etc.

Another sitcom that is pretty funny is "Community" which I've watched in its entirety and got hooked (about a top notch lawyer in a firm that discovers he doesn't have a degree and is forced to go to community college). Worth checking out if you're bored. I liked it, my girlfriend did not. We have different senses of humor, LOL

Yet another sitcom that made me laugh a lot is "Quick Draw", a satirical western them where a Harvard educated man moves to the old west to take over a hostile town as Sheriff.

Anyway, just a few ideas if any of you are looking for something to watch and need a laugh. The Guest Book is really funny.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Better Off Ted was a poorly named sitcom that actually was very funny and is streaming on Hulu
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I mentioned this in another thread.....there is a show on Netflix called "Kim's Convenience" which I find really funny.
It revolves around a Korean family and their convenience store, but each of the main characters in the family have their own thing going on. I get a lot of laughs out of it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Since you mentioned sitcoms, nd older ones, I still watch All In The Family, whenever I can. Dated, maybe, but, almost like the Honeymooners, you know the lines that are coming and it is still hilarious.
Still love Cheers, MASH, even Friends has gotten better the more I watch it. and we never tire of Frazier reruns.
As for newer shows, Schitt's Creek is absolutely one of the best comedies on NETFLIX. The more you watch it, the funnier it gets.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I think you would count this as a sit-com, but "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is an all-timer for me. And oddly enough, I was never as big on Seinfeld as everyone else was, even though it was created by the same person as Curb.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 26, 2021, 08:27:15 AM
I think you would count this as a sit-com, but "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is an all-timer for me. And oddly enough, I was never as big on Seinfeld as everyone else was, even though it was created by the same person as Curb.

We LOVED this show until they canceled it and then brought it back. Larry David was one funny guy and just a marvelous supporting cast.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss