News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Database of "Canceled" People

Started by Bob In PA, April 23, 2021, 11:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 25, 2021, 10:14:02 AM
Rich I will stop because if you don't believe what you hear then what can I say. The idea that the guy that was fired was badgering the principle is laughable and if the situation was reversed you would be screaming for the principles head. On a side note I appreciate your football contributions to the site.

I am sorry that you were unwilling to listen to what I had to say.   Maybe if I could get a blog on TownHall.com...    :D

Seriously, no hard feelings.  We may not agree but that doesn't preclude respecting one another.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 10:12:51 AM
Did you read the book or are you repeating (without critical review) the opinions of others and trying to pass that opinion off as fact?

1) Why would you even question this? Of course I listened to it

2) The statement from the school district says it all "The Binghamton City School District released a statement apologizing for "the negative light this has shined" on the law enforcement profession."  I think that proves it as a fact. The BCSD is about as far as you can get from a "right wing" ideology.

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 10:34:39 AM
1) Why would you even question this? Of course I listened to it

2) The statement from the school district says it all "The Binghamton City School District released a statement apologizing for "the negative light this has shined" on the law enforcement profession."  I think that proves it as a fact. The BCSD is about as far as you can get from a "right wing" ideology.

I do appreciate you adding another example of the right-wing canceling something they don't agree with.    It's sad how the right-wing (thanks to the propaganda network) is so outraged and up in arms about the so called cancel culture but as soon as there is something they don't agree with, they violently cancel it.

I have said before, consistency of views is more important (in my opinion) than the views themselves.   You can't be out with torches and pitchforks ready to hunt down those liberal elites you claim are canceling everything they don't agree with, and then turn around and engage in the exact same behavior you accuse and vilify others for.

Well I had a chance to listen to the book (we all can)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whR_JIzknpo

It's sort of disturbing for people to listen to that story and come away angry that the book was "blatantly anti-police".   To hold that view one would have to ignore the FACT that a police officer was found guilty of murdering a man while 4 or 5 other police officers stood by and did nothing while the public pleaded for his life.   To hold that view one would have to pretend that video of officers drawing guns on a brown-skinned soldier who was completely innocent of wrongdoing didn't happen.  We would have to ignore the number of police officers who donated to Rittenhouse's defense fund (the guy brought a military-style weapon to a black lives matter protest and shot and killed multi-unarmed protestors.  One a LT who was in charge of internal affairs (of all divisions) sent along a note of encouragement along with his check.

If the police directed more of their anger and energy toward the bad apples that are making them look bad as they did about canceling this book and the message it contained, maybe the book could be consigned to the dustbins of history.   Of course some would want it to read long even if we get rid of the racist bad apples in the police force because we can't white wash history and all that...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Mighty,

To be honest I read the first couple lines of your reply and just gazed over the rest of it.

I gave you a first hand account of this book and it's affect - yet you try to justify it, because it fits your political agenda. 

I have sat through the last 2 zoom meetings with the school board since this "controversy" has erupted.  The Superintendent, School Board president and 2 other members of the board are so far left, they make you, AOC and the the rest of the "squad" look like fanatical right wingers.

The 4 mentioned acknowledged how it could be perceived, with out stating the out right fact, and that is wrong.  The other fact is the 300 (?) member police force is in a 90% agreement and took offense to it and will never work another sporting event for the district.

If the shoe was on the other foot, you would be beating the drum as to how wrong it was.  That is not an opinion on my part, but a fact based on many years of your postings.

As usual, you missed the main point of my original post.  You stated that it was not appropriate for 3rd graders to be in discussions about sex or be exposed to Dr Suess with it's racial stereotypes, I gave you a real life example of the exact same concept with this book.  Because it fits your narrative, you defend it.

I will try not to respond, because it will go south.

Take a look in the mirror my friend - The next game, if I get in a fight or confrontation with an a$$hole to protect my wife, because the police are not there - I will think how right you are.  /sarcasm/

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 11:48:51 AM
Mighty,

To be honest I read the first couple lines of your reply and just gazed over the rest of it.

I gave you a first hand account of this book and it's affect - yet you try to justify it, because it fits your political agenda. 

I have sat through the last 2 zoom meetings with the school board since this "controversy" has erupted.  The Superintendent, School Board president and 2 other members of the board are so far left, they make you, AOC and the the rest of the "squad" look like fanatical right wingers.

The 4 mentioned acknowledged how it could be perceived, with out stating the out right fact, and that is wrong.  The other fact is the 300 (?) member police force is in a 90% agreement and took offense to it and will never work another sporting event for the district.

If the shoe was on the other foot, you would be beating the drum as to how wrong it was.  That is not an opinion on my part, but a fact based on many years of your postings.

As usual, you missed the main point of my original post.  You stated that it was not appropriate for 3rd graders to be in discussions about sex or be exposed to Dr Suess with it's racial stereotypes, I gave you a real life example of the exact same concept with this book.  Because it fits your narrative, you defend it.

I will try not to respond, because it will go south.

Take a look in the mirror my friend - The next game, if I get in a fight or confrontation with an a$$hole to protect my wife, because the police are not there - I will think how right you are.  /sarcasm/

I  listened to the book being read.  As I said, I appreciate you sharing the story because it's a classic example of the right-wing being guilty of do as I say not as I do politics.  There was nothing, in my opinion, anti-police in that book.   The book addressed the issue in the news and the issues that people are talking about now.  It told the story from the vantage point of a white family and a black family.   Of course, the book is but a jumping-off point to discussions to have with young kids who are hearing about these issues on TV, and from older siblings or even overhearing their parents talking.

It's sort of amazing the double standards at play that the same adults angry that a private company decided to stop exposing children to racial stereotypes would be angry that children would be read a story that does an excellent job addressing a difficult issue.  If I didn't know better I would think that those on the right don't want kids to be raised free of prejudices or bigotry (or at least less so).   Hardly an isolated incident as we saw the angry radical math teacher making the rounds on the right-wing propaganda network demonizing his employer for teaching racial equality and daring to talk about racism.

The world is a scary place for kids and they are trying to understand why sometimes the police behave like this toward 100% innocent men

While behaving this way with 100% guilty criminals

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

One last reply - you always bring up left and right to justify your ideology ( I don't even read it), I gave you a personal example of reality of it.

Background - 3 weeks ago tomorrow, my wife and I were in Richmond (7 hour drive) visiting my daughter and her fianc

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 01:03:08 PM
I am giving you a personal account of how it has affected 3 people directly, let alone the 100 or so spectators at the events and yet you are probably going to continually post your agenda about how worse the right is or it is a right wing propaganda machine .

Get over yourself and look at reality.

There is a lot of ironies, that are clearly lost on you, with your rude and disrespectful remarks.    Here is the thing, I have had many black friends over the years.   I have my personal experience where a black friend and a fellow volunteer were stopped by police for the crime of "walking while black".  I had many friends among the guys I worked with at the inner-city hospital and they felt comfortable enough to share their views on race.  They all had way too many stories of being pulled over while black and they all knew how they had to behave to try and prevent being shot.  So you are hardly the only one with personal stories.

I should be angry with you, I really should because you had no right to speak to me that way, but anger and hatred are only making things worse.   I know what has you so ginned up that you would violently lash out at me, I am not going to make it worse by reacting the same way.

I will only patiently and respectfully ask you to try and maintain consistency in your views.  I will ask you to consider why you felt the story was anti-police.  Really ask why.   Did the book invent something that didn't exist?   

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 01:38:17 PM

There is a lot of ironies, that are clearly lost on you, with your rude and disrespectful remarks.    Here is the thing, I have had many black friends over the years.   I have my personal experience where a black friend and a fellow volunteer were stopped by police for the crime of "walking while black".  I had many friends among the guys I worked with at the inner-city hospital and they felt comfortable enough to share their views on race.  They all had way too many stories of being pulled over while black and they all knew how they had to behave to try and prevent being shot.  So you are hardly the only one with personal stories.

I should be angry with you, I really should because you had no right to speak to me that way, but anger and hatred are only making things worse.   I know what has you so ginned up that you would violently lash out at me, I am not going to make it worse by reacting the same way.

I will only patiently and respectfully ask you to try and maintain consistency in your views.  I will ask you to consider why you felt the story was anti-police.  Really ask why.   Did the book invent something that didn't exist?

~X(

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 01:47:55 PM
~X(

I am not going to meet your anger and rage with more anger and rage.  That is exactly what the right wing propaganda network wants,  every one angry and at each other's throats.  If we are going to end the cycle of anger, hate, and division people need to say "enough"

I have no anger or hatred toward you because you don't agree with me.  I have only respect as a fellow Giants fan and another member of my BBH family. :cheers:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

The reality of it is the book (which the School District has apologized for) has put my wife and granddaughter in harms way. 

That is all that matters to me

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 02:00:44 PM
The reality of it is the book (which the School District has apologized for) has put my wife and granddaughter in harms way. 

That is all that matters to me

The book preached peace, tolerance, respect, and inclusion.  What part, specifically, inspired people to threaten your family?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 02:13:50 PM
The book preached peace, tolerance, respect, and inclusion.  What part, specifically, inspired people to threaten your family?
Rich: I can't answer your question, but maybe it was MAINLY the fact that the book "preached" at all.  This isn't about religion... at least, I don't view political matters as religion.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 02:13:50 PM

I am completely amazed at how tone deaf you are.  The school district has apologized for it, saying it put the police in a bad light, the BPD will not work with district because of it. And yet you still want to argue it is OK

The book caused the off duty police officers to not work the games (which I mentioned in my initial post - and you ignored), which means no security - they used to have my wife's back - but they are not there - so the same a$$holes that show up that they (BPD) used to deal with, I have to.  What is so difficult to understand?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 25, 2021, 02:30:57 PM
Rich: I can't answer your question, but maybe it was MAINLY the fact that the book "preached" at all.  This isn't about religion... at least, I don't view political matters as religion.  Bob

Bob, 

I think you are making a lot about a word I used.   The video is there for all to see.  I am looking for a quote (preferably in context).  Beyond that teaching(a better term than preaching) children is a responsibility

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 02:31:32 PM
I am completely amazed at how tone deaf you are.  The school district has apologized for it, saying it put the police in a bad light, the BPD will not work with district because of it. And yet you still want to argue it is OK

The book caused the off duty police officers to not work the games (which I mentioned in my initial post - and you ignored), which means no security - they used to have my wife's back - but they are not there - so the same a$$holes that show up that they (BPD) used to deal with, I have to.  What is so difficult to understand?

You keep leaning on the apology of a political entity instead of the sound proof of specific words.

I also find it interesting that you gave the police who violated their oaths to serve and protect a free pass.  I don't share your view that a children's book excuses the disgraceful behavior of the police, who would be better off acting in a manner that deserves respect rather than harming citizens while demanding it
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 02:39:13 PM
I also find it interesting that you gave the police who violated their oaths to serve and protect a free pass.  I don't share your view that a children's book excuses the disgraceful behavior of the police, who would be better off acting in a manner that deserves respect rather than harming citizens while demanding it

Again you failed to read what I posted - they do their duty every day - the security gig is an off duty job for them, the made an extra $120 per game for their OFF DUTY security at the games with the blessing of the BPD.  They can choose to work or not work these games. It is off the clock. So no - they did not violate their oaths, they just chose not to work on their own time for a school district that they feel disrespected them.