News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bill and Melinda Gates are getting divorced

Started by Bob In PA, May 03, 2021, 05:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

You should have no trouble finding that news story.  I'd sure like to represent her money.  Bob

PS. Just a wee bit of humor.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I will confess to being completely surprised by this story. I would have thought that even if the romance side of things was gone from their marriage, they were something of an institution and, if nothing else, had in common the passion for all the work they have done and continue to do on their foundation. And I think there are plenty of people in their 50s-70s who would say that their marriage is strong, but that it is more of a "best friends" or "partnership" thing than it was when they were in their 20s and 30s. In the case of the Gates, if another woman (or man) is involved, then that is a clear reason to split up though. I read some vague stories about that but nothing solid.

In any case, at least their children are grown at this stage, and hopefully it does not interfere with the work they are doing on their foundation. Hard to believe it won't have at least some sort of impact though.

LennG

According to the reports I heard, their 'work' is supposed to go on as if nothing has changed.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Bill and Melinda were in love and got married.  Bill and Linda had all the money two people could ever want.  Apparently, Bill and Linda became unhappy and fell out of love with oneanother.

I guess it's true what they say, money can't buy happiness. 

Then again, I have often wondered how long-term relationships manage to last.  If you look back at what you liked, wanted, valued, and respected 20 or 30 years ago and how you were like back then and compare it with today I would expect we all see major differences.   So you take two people who are changing over the decades what are the odds of both people changing in a way where they not only love each other (long after the excitement and novelty has worn off) but are even still compatible
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 05, 2021, 01:38:29 PM
Bill and Melinda were in love and got married.  Bill and Linda had all the money two people could ever want.  Apparently, Bill and Linda became unhappy and fell out of love with oneanother.

I guess it's true what they say, money can't buy happiness. 

Then again, I have often wondered how long-term relationships manage to last.  If you look back at what you liked, wanted, valued, and respected 20 or 30 years ago and how you were like back then and compare it with today I would expect we all see major differences.   So you take two people who are changing over the decades what are the odds of both people changing in a way where they not only love each other (long after the excitement and novelty has worn off) but are even still compatible

Certainly a fair point. I guess the thinking is that, ideally at least, you're both developing over that 20-30 years, but not on separate paths necessarily. You have common life interests and might evolve on similar paths by virtue of being so intertwined in your lives. Clearly it works for some people. For others not so much. And as we both know, plenty of people don't get divorced whose marriages are far from perfect.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 06, 2021, 04:21:29 AM
Certainly a fair point. I guess the thinking is that, ideally at least, you're both developing over that 20-30 years, but not on separate paths necessarily. You have common life interests and might evolve on similar paths by virtue of being so intertwined in your lives. Clearly it works for some people. For others not so much. And as we both know, plenty of people don't get divorced whose marriages are far from perfect.

I saw it with one of my younger brothers.    He is a bit of a man child, fun with a sense of humor but hardly Mr responsibility.  When he got married his wife no doubt enjoyed the fun part and the humor part.  Only over the years, she matured and when they had kids I suspect she would have preferred more of a sense of responsiblity.   So life conditions and time changed her and what she was looking for, my brother didn't change and in the end, they got divorced because she grew apart from him

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

I have a different perspective.

My dad passed away last Thursday at 92, late in the afternoon,  he and my mom were married 71 years when he passed. They had arguments, but they had figured out how to get through them, usually not lasting more than 24 hours - they never allowed each other to "drift" away. If one thought the other was, they would start a conversation to talk about it.  They were / are both deeply religious, so maybe that had something to do with it.

My oldest brother just celebrated his 44 anniversary last month.

My middle brother will celebrate his 41st anniversary in Oct

My wife and I (second marriage for both) will celebrate our 33rd in Oct. Both of our 1st marriages lasted less than 2 years for various reasons.

None of the 3 of us are very religious, but I think we all learned through osmosis, how to deal with with the trials of a marriage.

I think that over time, it is the two people that are not truly invested in each other that leads to the divorce.

Bob In PA

Quote from: philo43 on May 06, 2021, 10:39:01 AM

My dad passed away last Thursday at 92, late in the afternoon,  he and my mom were married 71 years when he passed. They had arguments, but they had figured out how to get through them, usually not lasting more than 24 hours - they never allowed each other to "drift" away. If one thought the other was, they would start a conversation to talk about it.  They were / are both deeply religious, so maybe that had something to do with it.

My wife and I (second marriage for both) will celebrate our 33rd in Oct. Both of our 1st marriages lasted less than 2 years for various reasons.

None of the 3 of us are very religious, but I think we all learned through osmosis, how to deal with with the trials of a marriage.

I think that over time, it is the two people that are not truly invested in each other that leads to the divorce.
philo: My condolences on the loss of your dad.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on May 06, 2021, 10:39:01 AM

My condolences on the loss of your dad
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I also echo my condolences on your loss.

I have always wondered if ultimate success leads to more divorce.

We have heard the story so many times, especially in show business, where couples marry but as they gain more success, there are many more hurdles in their lives and divorce is just an easy answer. People do grow apart, but in today's world, it is just too easy to say let's get a divorce then really sit down and try and work things out.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on May 06, 2021, 01:48:09 PM
I also echo my condolences on your loss.

I have always wondered if ultimate success leads to more divorce.

We have heard the story so many times, especially in show business, where couples marry but as they gain more success, there are many more hurdles in their lives and divorce is just an easy answer. People do grow apart, but in today's world, it is just too easy to say let's get a divorce then really sit down and try and work things out.

In my opinion, I think if there are non-adult kids involved I think it's better to try and figure out a way to make it work.   If there are no children involved, I am could see an argument for both divorces and trying to make it work.  The funny thing is that someone once told me that divorce rarely leads to happiness.    The point was that usually with the person you divorce you loved say 70-90 percent of all the things about them but there is that 10% to 30% you don't like.  So when you look for a new significant other one often focuses on the small part you didn't like while forgetting (or taking for granted) all the parts you loved
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE