News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you are vacinated how much are you giving up your masks

Started by MightyGiants, May 14, 2021, 08:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on May 14, 2021, 07:09:54 PM

This what happens when you stay with all these political threads on the Front Porch. Here is a thread that has NO political mention, yet because politics are allowed here, it is open season on every thread.

I actually agree with you, Len.   I also think we should be allowed to have these current events-type non-political threads.   The problem is how do you deal with the posters who lack self-control or respect for the rest of the forum?   I mean there is always going to be someone that feels the need to parrot what they heard on FOX News last night.   It's a shame really because this thread was going pretty well.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

To try and get this thread back on track, my boss (who is a health officer and epidemiologist, told me she was impressed by this commentary by another epi

QuoteZach Binney is a sports epidemiologist and assistant professor of quantitative theory and methods at Oxford College of Emory University. Thursday on Twitter, he tried to explain what
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Covid became politicized the moment Trump tried to ban travel from China and was called a racist for doing so.  First shot always comes from the Left so don't complain when a political thread is political.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on May 14, 2021, 07:39:49 PM
Covid became politicized the moment Trump tried to ban travel from China and was called a racist for doing so.  First shot always comes from the Left so don't complain when a political thread is political.

Jimmy,

You are normally a kind intelligent man and a good football fan and your posts are thoughtful well received.  As soon as things turn to politics you turn into an ugly rage monster (one could almost imagine the spital flying from your mouth as you angrily pound away at your keyboard).  You feel compelled to spew your toxic hate-based politics on threads like this that are not even political (like this one).  As I told you before, you should avoid politics.  It's not good for you.   All that anger and hate that the topic of politics generates in you is not good for you emotionally or physically.    You can't control what will happen in Washington, but you can control your reaction to what happens. 

Stop focusing on why you hate your fellow Americans and start thinking about things we have in common like all being fans of the Giants.  All you ended up doing on this thread, is annoy everyone on this that wanted to talk about the masking and social distancing change and embarrass yourself.  Is that really want you want?  Take it from a friend, I noticed if I tuned into MSNBC many times I would get angry and upset listening to Morning Joe on my ride in.   My solution was to turn it off.   Life is too short to ruin it with angry, hate, and outrage.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 15, 2021, 07:12:31 AM
Here is a Harvard Epidemiologist with a different take than the other article I posted

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1393090966928637952.html

I respect the scientists, but these epidemiologists are risk-averse in general. We cannot let them make policy. They can offer their advice and then so many other factors need to be taken into consideration when policy is made. We have other risks and dangers that are the collateral damage from restrictions to prevent the disease. All must be taken into account. We will never get to 100 percent vaccinations. Nor will we ever get to a full mask restriction. We have to move on sensibly. The world needs to move forward  with common sense. Not hysteria on both sides.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on May 15, 2021, 11:26:16 AM
I respect the scientists, but these epidemiologists are risk-averse in general. We cannot let them make policy. They can offer their advice and then so many other factors need to be taken into consideration when policy is made. We have other risks and dangers that are the collateral damage from restrictions to prevent the disease. All must be taken into account. We will never get to 100 percent vaccinations. Nor will we ever get to a full mask restriction. We have to move on sensibly. The world needs to move forward  with common sense. Not hysteria on both sides.

I tried to present both sides of the issue (the article on the Yankee's cases and this article.   I think it's time to start opening back up more.  I just personally think it might be a bit too fast especially with all the variants out there.  At this point I would not fault those that embrace the CDC guidelines and their newfound freedoms or those that opt to be more careful.   I will be less thrilled with those that skip the vaccine and go around behaving as they got it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I will add that I suspect the CDC is using this new ruling as a bit of a carrot
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmanfansince

I'm fully vaccinated but, will wear a KN95 mask and go about like we're still on high alert. This is part of life now and forever.
Always Be A Little Cabbage Trying To Get A Head

MightyGiants

I am finding it on a personal level difficult to deescalate.  I mean I spent a year ingraining habits that prevented me from contracting Covid.  Just turning off that switch is not easy.   I went to the grocery store this morning.  I was thinking of down stepping to a surgical mask when I went into the store, but I opted to say with my trusty KN-95.  I am just not sure how many of those who skipped the vaccine are going to be going around acting like they are vaccinated.   I know the vaccine is 80% or 90% effective, but it still feels like a needless risk to test its effectiveness when I don't have to.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

I got the J&J in early March but I'm still going to wear the mask for now while indoors in places like grocery stores, etc. I was at an outdoor party yesterday. Because it was outdoors, on a 12 acre property, I did not wear my mask.

On a side note, a friend of mine, who was fully vaccinated (Moderna) by mid-April, just found out she now has Covid. She lost her sense of smell and taste for a couple days, but it's back now. She feels a bit run down, but otherwise ok. She is immunocompromised, on a kidney transplant list, so perhaps that played into it.

LennG

As most know I still umpire High School baseball. They have finally started playing ball with some strict guidelines to follow like all players have to wear masks on the field, as well as coaches and umpires. So now the CDC says we really don't have to and that has thrown a real monkey wrench into the situation. I have been vaccinated almost right from the get-go yet I still wear my mask most of the time. Today I had a game where NO ONE except myself and my partner was wearing masks, on or off the field. We decided since we haven't been given any different guidelines, that we should continue to wear the mask until we are told not to. Wearing the mask on the field is a real pain as just from breathing hard it gets damp yet we are still wearing it.
Eventually, we will probably stop wearing them outside as well as in, but until we are so sure that it is really safe, that's the way we will proceed.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on May 17, 2021, 08:49:33 PM
As most know I still umpire High School baseball. They have finally started playing ball with some strict guidelines to follow like all players have to wear masks on the field, as well as coaches and umpires. So now the CDC says we really don't have to and that has thrown a real monkey wrench into the situation. I have been vaccinated almost right from the get-go yet I still wear my mask most of the time. Today I had a game where NO ONE except myself and my partner was wearing masks, on or off the field. We decided since we haven't been given any different guidelines, that we should continue to wear the mask until we are told not to. Wearing the mask on the field is a real pain as just from breathing hard it gets damp yet we are still wearing it.
Eventually, we will probably stop wearing them outside as well as in, but until we are so sure that it is really safe, that's the way we will proceed.

For what it's worth, you are likely to be safe outside doing your umpire duties.   You have some distance and outside is much safer than inside.   Odds are slim of getting infected and even on the outside chance you get infected odds are even slimmer of you getting sick.   

You choice, but you certainly could stop wearing one if you feel comfortable.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 18, 2021, 08:10:28 AM
For what it's worth, you are likely to be safe outside doing your umpire duties.   You have some distance and outside is much safer than inside.   Odds are slim of getting infected and even on the outside chance you get infected odds are even slimmer of you getting sick.   

You choice, but you certainly could stop wearing one if you feel comfortable.   

As far as we know, that state mandate says to wear masks for sporting events, yet now they change in mid season and we haven't gotten any word to change. I have written to the state chairman about this but have yet to hear from them,
AND, we work as a team, so what if we do remove our masks and then most other umpires do not. It has to be a consensus of the entire group and not an individual choice. I even asked my partner yesterday about not wearing masks as we are both vaccinated and he reiterated just what I said, we still have to follow the guidelines until we are informed we don't have to.

I agree with you, we should not need them, but every state is moving in their own direction and at their own speed. That is the real problem.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I quit wearing a mask the last few days. Got vaxed (J&J) a month ago. I carry a mask in case the front door mandates wearing a mask and then I put it on.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: