News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sexual Harassment

Started by LennG, May 17, 2021, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

All we seem to hear these days are more and more people, famous or not, being accused of sexual harassment.

First I need to say that I truly believe that no woman, or man, has to be subjected to any sort of sexual harassment, but are some carrying this subject a bit too far? Myself, I am from a completely different generation. In my day, women seemed to like to be whistled at, even ogled a bit and now when a man makes a pass at a woman he is accused of sexual harassment. I see women dress so inappropriately with literally their breasts hanging out, skirts so tight they can't sit down. WHY--to attract attention? I would think so, yet when a man seems to react to that, he gets accused of harassment.

Is this term being thrown about too loosely these days. Why do women seem to wait years to say something? Is it a money grab, attention grab, or fear of reprisals?

I am really curious as to how others, maybe from a younger generation see this.

Again, I am not saying any woman needs to be harassed sexually or any other way. Guys like Harvey Weinstein are scumbags who used power o gain sexual favors from women and the old days of the 'casting couch are finally over. But for myself, when I see women dressed so sexually and then when a man seems to try to 'make a move' he is accused of sexual harassment. Are the days when say construction workers making a pass at pretty women, over and that will be sexual harassment?

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I think for too long women have had to put up with BS in the workplace and other settings, and a clamping down on this was long overdue. It goes without saying that there have been examples when men have been either falsely accused or where the phrase "sexual harrassment" has been somewhat stretched, but overall I think being more sensitive around this subject has been overdue. I also don't think that if a woman is dressed a certain way, that that entitles men to grab her or make lewd comments towards her. If you start going down the road of that line of reasoning that invariably gets you to a bad place.

As the father of a teenage daughter, I am glad that she will eventually be entering a work force that is less tolerant of crass behavior and inappropriate advances than it was a generation ago.

LennG

Oh I fully agree that no matter how a lady dresses, is no excuse to touch, feel or harass her. But if a woman is provocatively dressed should she not expect a few 'whistles' if you know what I mean?

Again, maybe I didn't make myself clear, no woman should need to fear being harassed anytime for just being a woman. I guess the real thing are times have changed dramatically. In my day many women loved to be found attractive and be whistled at by men, Sure not groped, but more admired.No woman needs to feel she must sleep with the boss to retain her job, and any man who pushes that needs to be fired or reprimanded.

Some people, like myself, are what we may call 'touchy/feely' people. I like to hug people, maybe touch them on the back if we are walking together, nothing out of line, but that's the way I relate to people. I fully understand that some people do not want to be touched, but is that harassment if a man just touches a woman on the arm, back or gives her a hug. Inappropriate maybe, but sexual harassment--IMVHO no,
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss