News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Operation Overlord: Invasion of Normandy 6 June 1944

Started by MightyGiants, June 06, 2021, 09:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

I got up bright and early today to hang my flag out. Neighbor asked me, "WHY, I thought Flag Day was later in the month". I told him it was June 6th, the Anniversary of D-Day. He said he forgot. IMVHO too many forget.

This should be on the mainboard, if not just for today. Just my opinion.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

just re-read Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers and am now rereading his Citizen Soldiers.  So many good books on DDay.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

ELCHALJE

At the lowest common denominator level, can you imagine being one of those guys in a landing craft approaching those beaches.  Speaking of bravery and patriotism!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: ELCHALJE on June 06, 2021, 04:49:20 PM
At the lowest common denominator level, can you imagine being one of those guys in a landing craft approaching those beaches.  Speaking of bravery and patriotism!!!!!!!!!!!
EL: Yes I can, and it scares the crap out of me even today to think about what those brave young men were asked to do (and more importantly, how they persevered and ultimately succeeded).

And the story of how Eisenhower and the allies deceived the Germans about when and where the D-Day attack would occur is a fantastic story in itself.

My dad was in the South Pacific and fought in a few equally harrowing operations there.  Two excellent movies (Saving Private Ryan & The Longest Day) did their best to be realistic, but IMO it simply can't be done....

Bob

PS. I'm certain that Vietnam, Korea and the various, more recent, events throughout the middle east and western Asia were no walk in the park either. War is hell, plain and simple.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Again, not to hijack this important  thread, but you hit the nail right on the head, WAR IS HELL.

While in my time in the service I didn't see any action, per se, I did spend a short time in Viet Nam as what we call a TDY (Temporary Duty). That said, when people ask me what I did in the service I tell them the truth, I typed. Sounds like an easy gig, maybe, but my main job in Germany was to process Airmen who had just finished their tour in Viet Nam. When these guys finished. they gave them the choice as to where they would like to finish their enlistment, USA, Japan, or Germany. So EVERY Airman who came to our base (which was the main base in all of Germany) had to be processed by me. What I saw from many of these guys is really hard to describe. People who know me, know I love to chat and chat away, so this was a perfect job for me. Unless too many of these guys were still shellshocked. In today's Army, they have medical terms for this, and they get help and compensation, but back then it was 'suck it up and move on'. I had many guys, you know, come over and 'Where are the Frauleins', but too many you couldn't get a word out of them. Ask them a question and they give one-word answers, or just say the least they have to. I was so sad for many of them and I did my best to reassure them that it WAS over and now they can enjoy Germany and all it has to offer. Most times it fell on deaf ears.

So when I hear stories from friends that their Father, Uncles, whatever were in WWII and just refuse to talk about it, I understand fully. To have lived thru that and then have to keep it all inside of you, it has to be relentless on your insides.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

bldevil

Quote from: ELCHALJE on June 06, 2021, 04:49:20 PM
I'm watching "Greatest Events of WWII in Color" on NFLX.  Season 1 episode 6 is on D-day.  The commentator just mentioned the fear that the German lookouts must have felt on the morning of June 6 seeing 6,000 ships heading in their direction.  A certain death sentence is probably what they felt.  Interesting counterpart to your observation.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

Trench

Thank you LennG....you were part of a generation that was very special....today