News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

what is the worst movie you ever had the misfortune to watch?

Started by MightyGiants, June 07, 2021, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I simply have no answer for this. Many people say the worst movie ever made was Plan 9 From Outer Space and it could very ell be, but it has achieved a sort of 'campiness' now and people watch it for laughs.

Like Jim, I am a movie person. Unlike Jim, who loves to rewatch many of his favorite movies, I am always looking for new movies to explore. Some so bad that I turn them off after 20 minutes or so, while others may well fit into my comfort zone and even what some think of as bad, are actually fine for me.
I have watched MANY 4 to 5 star rated movies and absolutely hated them, and, as I said before, just too numerous to name.
What really disappoints me are those well-received movies that I so look forward to and then I am so disappointed, that I could throw something at the TV. Read some of my reviews in the movie thread and see how I hated many popular movies and those are the 'good' ones. The movie Parasite was one of these. It won the Best Pix award yet I couldn't get thru more than 30-40 minutes of it. I literally hated it.

The joy is to find a treasure that is disguised as a lower type movie. I watch so many just to find those few.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Almost every "modern" horror movie.  I am a big fan of the pre-1950's horror and "monster" pictures, but except for a few well-known successful ones, nothing much after that time has measured up.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jimv

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: jimv on June 07, 2021, 05:13:31 PM
Worst movie:

QUEST FOR FIRE.

Holy cow, that was the movie that I was going to say. Can't believe someone else actually saw this besides me. I remember renting it on a VHS tape when they first came out and there was a small VHS rental place in a strip mall in Binghamton (long before Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores came out). My wife told me to get a movie after work so we could try out our brand new VCR and enjoy a movie at home without commercials. Since the place didn't have a huge selection and everyone was renting anything they could, "Quest for Fire" was one of the few tapes left on the shelf and the cover looked interesting so I picked it up. It was just a horrible movie from start to finish. No words, just grunts and screams...and a little canibalism. I wanted the last two hours of my life back when it was over and it caused my wife to yell at me for wasting our money on something so stupid.

Here's a 1-minute clip to show the brilliance of the movie...LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dnZHFsFP7o
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Two come to mind,

jimv

One other stupid thing about "Quest for Fire:"
They drop the fire in the water just before they reach their camp!

ozzie

It's hard for me to pick a "worst movie ever", but there are a few that when the movie ended, I was incredibly disappointed.
First one that comes to mind is "Lord of the Rings". It seemed to go on for far too long and then when the movie ended, there was no resolution whatsoever. It just ended.
I've never even bothered to watch any of the sequels. I just lost interest due to that "ending" and refuse to waste any more of my time with it.
Also there are some movies that get great reviews, friends and people I know rave about it and then I watch it and I just don't get what all the hoopla was about.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on June 08, 2021, 01:27:44 PM
It's hard for me to pick a "worst movie ever", but there are a few that when the movie ended, I was incredibly disappointed.
First one that comes to mind is "Lord of the Rings". It seemed to go on for far too long and then when the movie ended, there was no resolution whatsoever. It just ended.
I've never even bothered to watch any of the sequels. I just lost interest due to that "ending" and refuse to waste any more of my time with it.
Also there are some movies that get great reviews, friends and people I know rave about it and then I watch it and I just don't get what all the hoopla was about.
Lou

One man's poison is another gold.

I LOVED the LOTR trilogy, especially after the first installment. I couldn't wait the year until the second one was released and the same for the 3rd installment.
You see they were all made at the same time, one after the other, and then released one a year for 3 years. It was sort of like the old serials we watched in the movies with cliffhangers making you want to come back. If it didn't work for you, so be it. I feel the exact same way about other movies that so many people loved.
I have certain actors and actresses, no matter what the movie, I won't like it if they're the stars. Jim Carrey comes to mind, as well as Adam Sandler. I have watched several of their movies and hated every one of them and refuse to even try and watch any others, no matter how good a review they get.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

ozzie, Lenny was right; the title of the book is THE LORD OFTHE RINGS.  It was written in three parts & filmed the same.  Naturally, there was no satisfactory ending to the first of the three movies.  I strongly suggest you re-watch the first one then watch the second & third in order.  I really think you'll enjoy the finished product.  I read the book & watched the films and enjoyed them immensely.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on June 08, 2021, 05:56:17 PM
ozzie, Lenny was right; the title of the book is THE LORD OFTHE RINGS.  It was written in three parts & filmed the same.  Naturally, there was no satisfactory ending to the first of the three movies.  I strongly suggest you re-watch the first one then watch the second & third in order.  I really think you'll enjoy the finished product.  I read the book & watched the films and enjoyed them immensely.

And this is from a man who really doesn't watch or care for many of the 'modern' movies. If Jim gives it the thumbs up, then one would suspect it is truly worth watching.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss