News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

FBI secretly ran phone encryption program used by organized crime

Started by MightyGiants, June 09, 2021, 08:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In my opinion, this year-long sting by the FBI was an intelligence coup on par with the ones in WW2

In short, criminals thought they were slick by communicating with special encrypted communications services.  Well the FBI started shutting them down and got them to use an encryption service they ran.   I have to admire the brilliance of this move  =D>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/06/08/global-sting-fbi-run-messaging-app-tricks-organized-crime/7601886002/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Yes, good law enforcement operations of that magnitude often take time. Sometimes you just have to be patient and waiting for justice to happen.  Apparently, this operation worked as originally planned.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 09, 2021, 08:55:11 AM
Yes, good law enforcement operations of that magnitude often take time. Sometimes you just have to be patient and waiting for justice to happen.  Apparently, this operation worked as originally planned.  Bob

I would think the biggest challenge with an operation like this is just how long you sit and watch crime.  I mean you are reading all this intel on criminal activity and there has to be a strong temptation to do something about it.  Yet, the longer you wait the more people you can ensnare.     Plus I would imagine there is always the risk that someone finds out that this is happening. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 09, 2021, 09:05:39 AM
I would think the biggest challenge with an operation like this is just how long you sit and watch crime.  I mean you are reading all this intel on criminal activity and there has to be a strong temptation to do something about it.  Yet, the longer you wait the more people you can ensnare.     Plus I would imagine there is always the risk that someone finds out that this is happening.
Rich: It depends. 

One very important factor is whether waiting will take you up the ladder (to bigger targets), sideways, down, or nowhere. 

It's a judgment call, but they usually suspect someone very high up and will be patient until they get their target, or it becomes clear they'll never succeed (or the operation has been exposed).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Just a wonderful piece of law enforcement.

Says they prevented about 15 murders, that in itself should be applauded.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss