News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is the last book you read cover to cover?

Started by MightyGiants, June 17, 2021, 08:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jim's "Rifle" thread got me thinking.  What was the last book you read?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Cover to cover: "Hawaii" by James A. Mitchener. Well worth the effort. It's long and fact-based, but the story is excellent and he's one of my favorite writers.

My most recent book was "Life After Google" by George Gilder which is about the "next thing" in technology, the blockchain economy and beyond.

It's not for everyone, and you have to know a lot of tech lingo, etc. (and I don't fit that description) so I fast-read some parts, skim-read others, and read the key parts repeatedly until I got the picture.

Bob

PS. I'm not a "big-time" reader, but my most current book is "The Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

"Razor Girl" by Carl Hiaasen

Highly recommend it to anyone wanting a fun summer read.

If I was to try and list all the books I've read since the pandemic, it would fill several pages and bore everyone to death. Do give "Razor Girl" a shot - you'll thank me later. Don't get the idea that it ranks up there with "War and Peace" or any of the classics LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jimv

Cover to cover, it was "The League."  But, I'll do "The Rifle" cover to cover.

ozzie

I used to read a lot. I guess life has just gotten in the way lately as I don't seem to have as much time for it now, but the last book I read was called "The Last Druid" by Terry Brooks.
It was the finale of his Sci Fi / Fantasy Shannara series which has been going strong for decades.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jimv

Quote from: jimv on June 17, 2021, 09:38:10 AM
Cover to cover, it was "The League."  But, I'll do "The Rifle" cover to cover.

This was the first thought that popped into my head.  But, I had completely forgot about the last book I really had read cover to cover.  It was "Drums Along the Mohawk" by Walter D. Edmonds.  It was written in the 1930s & was the basis of the 1939 John Ford classic (one of my favorite movies).  Well, it turns out that the book is an extensive historical novel about the American/Tory & Indian battles during the Revolutionary War.  The movie actually only covers about the first third of the book and, even then, only a smattering of scenes from the book.  It's apparent that both 20th Century Fox & Ford only wanted to use the name of the book & the names of the characters.  In any event, both the book & the movie turned out well. =D> =D> =D>

GIANTS1

A friend of a friend passed away and he had alot of books. i recieved about 40. I am currently reading The Dome by Stephen King. about halfway through. Not a huge fan of his because some of his books are to far out there but i think i can finish this one.

Ed Vette

Do Audio Books count? If so then, "DMT, The Spirit Molecule" by Dr. Rick Strassman. Otherwise it's "Astrophysics For People In A Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

y_so_blu

"That First Season: How Vince Lombardi Took the Worst Team in the NFL and Set It on the Path to Glory," by Josh Eisenberg. Finished it last week. Lombardi took the Packers from 1-10-1 to 7-5 with almost the same roster. We never should've let that guy out of New York.