News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So what about this record heat and drought of a lifetime

Started by LennG, June 17, 2021, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-aud-nw-nyt-climate-drought-western-us-20210617-ueojc3bc5jhifeehfxz3yxpn3a-story.html

It is unbelievable the numbers for heat in the other parts of this country. I listen to the news and shutter, how can it be that hot and it's not even summer. We seem to say this every year and it just keeps going.

And then there is the drought that has gripped the Western States going on 5 years now with no relief in sight. My brother lives outside Durango, Colorado and after speaking to him last night, they are in bad shape. This is supposed to be the season where they get the runoffs from winter snows, yet it didn't happen and the drought is much worse. It will affect many of the major cities out west.

Is there a long term solution?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

The climate, it is a-changing.   (saying it with Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin' playing in my head)

Look country's like Israel have made desert living work.   We are going to need some more massive infrastructure projects on par with the Hoover dam to adjust to what is happening.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Quote from: LennG on June 17, 2021, 07:22:44 PM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-aud-nw-nyt-climate-drought-western-us-20210617-ueojc3bc5jhifeehfxz3yxpn3a-story.html

It is unbelievable the numbers for heat in the other parts of this country. I listen to the news and shutter, how can it be that hot and it's not even summer. We seem to say this every year and it just keeps going.

And then there is the drought that has gripped the Western States going on 5 years now with no relief in sight. My brother lives outside Durango, Colorado and after speaking to him last night, they are in bad shape. This is supposed to be the season where they get the runoffs from winter snows, yet it didn't happen and the drought is much worse. It will affect many of the major cities out west.

Is there a long term solution?

Lenn..the easiest way and most simple is planting trees.....

Examining the Viability of Planting Trees to Help Mitigate Climate Change.....a NASA study

It
The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

Planting billions of trees across the world is one of the biggest and cheapest ways of taking CO2 out of the atmosphere to tackle the climate crisis, according to scientists, who have made the first calculation of how many more trees could be planted without encroaching on crop land or urban areas.

As trees grow, they absorb and store the carbon dioxide emissions that are driving global heating. New research estimates that a worldwide planting programme could remove two-thirds of all the emissions from human activities that remain in the atmosphere today, a figure the scientists describe as
The KING is in the building

LennG

watched this on the TV this AM, where the weather guy said this was a once in a 1000 year event. Yes that was 1000 year event

https://news.yahoo.com/pacific-northwest-heat-dome-affect-153319436.html

Pacific Northwest "Heat Dome" to affect more than 25 million with unprecedented temperatures

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss