News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Stores You Grew Up With That Are No Longer Around

Started by LennG, July 02, 2021, 06:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping-all/iconic-stores-you-grew-up-with-that-are-no-longer-around/ss-BB1d6Dby?ocid=msedgntp

Some of these I never heard of as they were probably located in parts of the country where I never visited.

Locally, I can name many more that were fixtures in the NY Metro area for so many years and sadly have gone

Abraham & Strauss department stores  (A&S)
E.J. Korvettes
Sterns Department stores
Caldor
Filene's Basement
Robert Hall
Learners
Sam Goody
J.J. Newberrys
Alexanders
Levitz furniture and then don't forget the Supermarkets
Waldbaums
Pathmark
Grand Union
A&P

And maybe the best of them all  Crazy Eddie
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I recognize every name you listed, Lenn.

I can add a couple more:
Walden Books
P.C. Richard & Son
And Supermarkets Bohack & King Kullen.

The article mentioned Hills Dept store....We had a Hills growing up, but it was strictly a grocery store. I'm not sure if it was the same parent company, but the Store Logo sure looks the same according to my foggy memory.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on July 02, 2021, 07:44:59 PM
I recognize every name you listed, Lenn.

I can add a couple more:
Walden Books
P.C. Richard & Son
And Supermarkets Bohack & King Kullen.

The article mentioned Hills Dept store....We had a Hills growing up, but it was strictly a grocery store. I'm not sure if it was the same parent company, but the Store Logo sure looks the same according to my foggy memory.

Lou

PC Richards is still alive and kicking, especially here on Long Island. I shop there all the time.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Jolly Blue Giant

Woolworths
Grand Way (the hardware and clothing store of sister company, Grand Union)
Family Bargain Center
Ames Department Store
W.T. Grant (simply called "Grants")
Not sure if Montgomery Wards is still in business
IGA
Peter Pumpkin
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on July 02, 2021, 08:41:29 PM
Lou

PC Richards is still alive and kicking, especially here on Long Island. I shop there all the time.
Ahhh, didn't know that Lenn. We bought from stuff from there when we first got married. I heard they were gone, but obviously not.
Thanks for the update.

I just thought of a couple more, but I haven't been back to L.I. for years so you'll have to let me know if these are still around....
Record World
Times Square Stores aka TSS
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on July 03, 2021, 08:06:42 AM
Ahhh, didn't know that Lenn. We bought from stuff from there when we first got married. I heard they were gone, but obviously not.
Thanks for the update.

I just thought of a couple more, but I haven't been back to L.I. for years so you'll have to let me know if these are still around....
Record World
Times Square Stores aka TSS

I had completely forgotten about TSS. I used to love that chain and shopped there all the time.

Charlie Weiss