News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Unvaccinated people are "variant factories," infectious diseases expert says

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

I saw two 10 second clips of opinion shows on Fox. That is not representative of the whole network or the many news shows aired everyday. Nor does it condemn the whole network as you are saying. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sem

Quote from: Woody on July 15, 2021, 08:34:16 PM
I saw two 10 second clips of opinion shows on Fox. That is not representative of the whole network or the many news shows aired everyday. Nor does it condemn the whole network as you are saying. Just my opinion of course.

Woody, while I have witnessed a few on Fox News call out anti vax sentiment, the fact remains that the opinion shows, Tucker Carlson, Hannity, The Five, and Laura Ingram are Fox

LennG

I stopped calling it FOX News, because they don't show the news only their opinions. A News show needs to report the news fairly and not sway people with opinions.

From now on it is just FOX.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Woody

Is CNN and MSNBC  different than Fox in they are opinion shows as well.

Woody

jimmyz

Quote from: Woody on July 15, 2021, 09:46:49 PM
Morning Joe is a news show ?

Morning Joe is $h!t.   A judge recently ruled that Rachel Maddow's show is not factual and should not be taken that way so when she says something is "literally" anything, you should take that to mean it is literally meaningless drivel.  Yet we have half the country convinced the charlatan is a hard hitting investigatory journalist.  But I'm not sure she's convinced anyone so much as she is providing ammo the half is willing to use no matter where it comes from or whether it works. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

DaveBrown74

The idea that anyone would watch TV as a way of getting "information" with which to make the critical decision about getting vaxed or not, rather than simply listening to their own trusted doctor (or any number of other doctors), all of whom are infinitely more knowledgeable on this subject than any journalist, politician, or other medical layperson, and virtually all of whom are motivated by public health and not by politics, is what perplexes me the most. Why do people think they know more than MD doctors on this subject? Do they actually think every doctor out there is now complicit with the "deep state" and is deliberately spewing out harmful advice that is not in their patients' best interests? I find that both troubling and bizarre, to say the least.

However, what people choose to legally do or not do with their own bodies is their decision. Yes, they put others at risk by not vaccinating, but the overwhelming majority of others they are putting at material risk are other like-minded individuals who have, for whatever reason, made this same choice. That does not make their lives less valuable in my opinion, but they did make a conscious choice and therefore have indicated that they are prepared to live (or die) with the consequences.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on July 15, 2021, 09:45:18 PM
Is CNN and MSNBC  different than Fox in they are opinion shows as well.

Those networks are not killing and maiming people by telling them not to get vaccinated HUGE HUGE HUGE difference
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 16, 2021, 03:21:19 AM
The idea that anyone would watch TV as a way of getting "information" with which to make the critical decision about getting vaxed or not, rather than simply listening to their own trusted doctor (or any number of other doctors), all of whom are infinitely more knowledgeable on this subject than any journalist, politician, or other medical layperson, and virtually all of whom are motivated by public health and not by politics, is what perplexes me the most. Why do people think they know more than MD doctors on this subject? Do they actually think every doctor out there is now complicit with the "deep state" and is deliberately spewing out harmful advice that is not in their patients' best interests? I find that both troubling and bizarre, to say the least.

However, what people choose to legally do or not do with their own bodies is their decision. Yes, they put others at risk by not vaccinating, but the overwhelming majority of others they are putting at material risk are other like-minded individuals who have, for whatever reason, made this same choice. That does not make their lives less valuable in my opinion, but they did make a conscious choice and therefore have indicated that they are prepared to live (or die) with the consequences.

I think you nailed it with that bold part.  There are plenty of places to get factual information about the vaccine.  I think those that are pulling information from TV opinion shows are the epitome of American apathy and intellectual laziness. 

I do have an issue with people that can get the vaccine (they are healthy enough and old enough) that are not because there are those that cannot get it and they are also being put in danger. 

Bottom line to me is that places with low vax rates are likely to have huge surges (already started) and potentially cause more shutdowns and/or hospitals to be above capacity.  We are already seeing more cases of advanced cancers because routine screenings were largely not performed during the pandemic. 

https://www.astro.org/News-and-Publications/News-and-Media-Center/News-Releases/2021/COVID-19-pandemic-has-led-to-more-advanced-stage-c

katkavage

I also love the diplomatic response "Well it's a personal decision and I respect that." So it's a personal decision not to get vaccinated and in doins go you are endangering others and most likely your loved ones who also are not, or cannot, be vaccinated. The decision is a selfish one. Let's call it what it is.

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on July 15, 2021, 10:58:37 PM
Morning Joe is $h!t.   A judge recently ruled that Rachel Maddow's show is not factual and should not be taken that way so when she says something is "literally" anything, you should take that to mean it is literally meaningless drivel.  Yet we have half the country convinced the charlatan is a hard hitting investigatory journalist.  But I'm not sure she's convinced anyone so much as she is providing ammo the half is willing to use no matter where it comes from or whether it works.

So let me get this straight.  Jimmy, you are perfectly okay with FOX news using their power to convince people not to get vaccinated with the broadcast of their anti-Vax propaganda.  I mean it's so bad that one FOX news viewer, Woody, posted false information that would discourage vaccination (giving false data to suggest people at the CDC were not getting vaccinated).   Now, this effort is clearly working as the areas where FOX News is most popular have the lowest vaccination rates.  As a result of FOX New's anti-Vax efforts people are needlessly dying or being maimed.

You are fine with all of that, just because a woman on a different network is espousing political opinions that you don't agree with.

I can't help but feel that is the attitude that is causing our country to end up in the crapper.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on July 15, 2021, 09:10:08 PM
Woody, while I have witnessed a few on Fox News call out anti vax sentiment, the fact remains that the opinion shows, Tucker Carlson, Hannity, The Five, and Laura Ingram are Fox
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 16, 2021, 08:42:52 AM

So let me get this straight.  Jimmy, you are perfectly okay with FOX news using their power to convince people not to get vaccinated with the broadcast of their anti-Vax propaganda.  I mean it's so bad that one FOX news viewer, Woody, posted false information that would discourage vaccination (giving false data to suggest people at the CDC were not getting vaccinated).   Now, this effort is clearly working as the areas where FOX News is most popular have the lowest vaccination rates.  As a result of FOX New's anti-Vax efforts people are needlessly dying or being maimed.

You are fine with all of that, just because a woman on a different network is espousing political opinions that you don't agree with.

I can't help but feel that is the attitude that is causing our country to end up in the crapper.

I spent a couple of days in South Carolina and saw their version of Fox and Friends. You don't know the half of it. They have a lot of people brainwashed about a lot of horseshit.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Any take on the Yankees who were vaccinated and now have Covid? One game PPD.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 16, 2021, 10:05:22 AM
Any take on the Yankees who were vaccinated and now have Covid? One game PPD.

No question you can still catch covid if you are vaccinated. Rich Eisen is another example besides the one you mentioned.

The good news of course is that you are extremely unlikely to get dangerously ill if you have received the vaccine, even with the new variant. The data is very encouraging on this point:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-variant-hospitalizations-covid-coronavirus-vaccine-immunity-11626374706?mod=hp_opin_pos_1