News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Unvaccinated people are "variant factories," infectious diseases expert says

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 16, 2021, 10:09:18 AM
No question you can still catch covid if you are vaccinated. Rich Eisen is another example besides the one you mentioned.

The good news of course is that you are extremely unlikely to get dangerously ill if you have received the vaccine, even with the new variant. The data is very encouraging on this point:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-variant-hospitalizations-covid-coronavirus-vaccine-immunity-11626374706?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

Still though a person can get sick. I'm wondering if it's prudent to wear the mask again indoors in public places.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 16, 2021, 10:05:22 AM
Any take on the Yankees who were vaccinated and now have Covid? One game PPD.

I don't have as much data as I would like, but I do know this:

The Yankees were over 85% vaccinated.    That allowed them to reduce restrictions.    It was reported that out of the 6 positive tests, "the majority were vaccinated" which I interpret to mean 4 were vaccinated and 2 were not.    Medical experts believe that if you have an asymptomatic infection when vaccinated, you are less likely to spread the virus because your virus loads are much lower. 

A major problem is the new Delta Variant.    That variant seems to have more vaccinated people becoming infected than the other variants.  Thankfully the vast majority of vaccinated people are not getting seriously sick or dying.

Based on all of this info, I would suspect that it was an unvaccinated player that was patient zero for the outbreak on the team.   Since they are unvaccinated they are more likely to contract the virus and to spread the virus.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 16, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
Still though a person can get sick. I'm wondering if it's prudent to wear the mask again indoors in public places.

Ed,

I don't wear a mask outdoors, but if I go shopping or I am indoors where I don't know if I will be around unvaccinated people I still wear a mask (I step down to a surgical level mask, rather than a KN95 level).  My feeling is the vaccine is like a bullet-proof vest.   The vest provides protection but that doesn't mean you want to test that protection by walking through a gunfight.

I can also tell you that Israel is back to masking up indoors.   Israel has a high vaccination rate and they vaccinated quicker than our nation did.  So they are sort of the canary in the coal mine, so to speak.   If you want to get a sense of what's coming in the future, watch what is happening in Israel. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 16, 2021, 10:21:12 AM

I don't have as much data as I would like, but I do know this:

The Yankees were over 85% vaccinated.    That allowed them to reduce restrictions.    It was reported that out of the 6 positive tests, "the majority were vaccinated" which I interpret to mean 4 were vaccinated and 2 were not.    Medical experts believe that if you have an asymptomatic infection when vaccinated, you are less likely to spread the virus because your virus loads are much lower. 

A major problem is the new Delta Variant.    That variant seems to have more vaccinated people becoming infected than the other variants.  Thankfully the vast majority of vaccinated people are not getting seriously sick or dying.

Based on all of this info, I would suspect that it was an unvaccinated player that was patient zero for the outbreak on the team.   Since they are unvaccinated they are more likely to contract the virus and to spread the virus.

How can any Major Sports Organization allow any player to be with the rest of the team if they are unvaccinated? They don't wear masks. I know it would be foolish to believe that in general population, unvaccinated people wear masks. There are millions of dollars at stake in MLB. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 16, 2021, 10:28:47 AM
How can any Major Sports Organization allow any player to be with the rest of the team if they are unvaccinated? They don't wear masks. I know it would be foolish to believe that in general population, unvaccinated people wear masks. There are millions of dollars at stake in MLB.

From what I could gather (I couldn't find a first-hand copy of the rules) all players can go maskless in the bullpen and the dugout if they are 85%.   Outside of that those who are vaccinated are supposed to continue to wear a mask but there are clauses that allow them to briefly remove their masks in many places and having enforced a mask mandate in an office setting essentially makes it nearly impossible to ensure the unvaccinated actually follow the rules.   You could make a big deal if you caught someone without a mask when one has to wear it at all times in certain areas or activities.   As I could see the rules, the best a team could do is if they see an unvaccinated player maskless for a period of time they can ask him to put his mask back on or pull it up over his nose. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 16, 2021, 10:54:07 AM
From what I could gather (I couldn't find a first-hand copy of the rules) all players can go maskless in the bullpen and the dugout if they are 85%.   Outside of that those who are vaccinated are supposed to continue to wear a mask but there are clauses that allow them to briefly remove their masks in many places and having enforced a mask mandate in an office setting essentially makes it nearly impossible to ensure the unvaccinated actually follow the rules.   You could make a big deal if you caught someone without a mask when one has to wear it at all times in certain areas or activities.   As I could see the rules, the best a team could do is if they see an unvaccinated player maskless for a period of time they can ask him to put his mask back on or pull it up over his nose.

This is a league rule or mandated by the Player's Association?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 16, 2021, 11:02:22 AM
This is a league rule or mandated by the Player's Association?

I am pretty sure the rules were negotiated and agreed upon between MLB and MLBPA
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 16, 2021, 11:05:40 AM
I am pretty sure the rules were negotiated and agreed upon between MLB and MLBPA

Thanks Rich for all the replies.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I read this in my paper today (if that is allowed these days)..

Quote2 NFL teams remain under 50% vaccinated

https://apnews.com/article/sports-football-health-coronavirus-pandemic-nfl-28b509f34f24a919750dc6c20b787c79?mkt_tok=ODUwLVRBQS01MTEAAAF-Ti2mxxdNg4C5yoo-DDYsVaQ8-OMwoy3slXzVaBIogsW4_HD654LHhPSNo85N64dCXSxEYgv6RaPA4oxmKQnh-xmCUB29TaWb3gVMuDapcEIZ

It also goes on to say that

Pittsburgh, Miami, Carolina, and Denver have the highest vaccination rates and are among 10 teams that have achieved at least 85%. About 73% of players have been vaccinated. Teams on the lower end of the vaccination table face potential competitive disadvantages.

I thought that to play, the NFL said everyone must be vaccinated? I guess I was wrong. What kind of stupidity is this now?  And where do the Giants fit into this? Are we going to go back t o games cancelled on Thirsday, being played Mon, Tues, Wed? Whyaren't every player vaccinated in order to assure a regular season without any hiccups.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on July 16, 2021, 05:21:17 PM
I read this in my paper today (if that is allowed these days)..

https://apnews.com/article/sports-football-health-coronavirus-pandemic-nfl-28b509f34f24a919750dc6c20b787c79?mkt_tok=ODUwLVRBQS01MTEAAAF-Ti2mxxdNg4C5yoo-DDYsVaQ8-OMwoy3slXzVaBIogsW4_HD654LHhPSNo85N64dCXSxEYgv6RaPA4oxmKQnh-xmCUB29TaWb3gVMuDapcEIZ

It also goes on to say that

Pittsburgh, Miami, Carolina, and Denver have the highest vaccination rates and are among 10 teams that have achieved at least 85%. About 73% of players have been vaccinated. Teams on the lower end of the vaccination table face potential competitive disadvantages.

I thought that to play, the NFL said everyone must be vaccinated? I guess I was wrong. What kind of stupidity is this now?  And where do the Giants fit into this? Are we going to go back t o games cancelled on Thirsday, being played Mon, Tues, Wed? Whyaren't every player vaccinated in order to assure a regular season without any hiccups.

Len,

I am sure the fans who were supporting and defending Toney for his anti-Vax stance will be calling for his head if he has to miss games or infects other players.     The NFL couldn't mandate the Vaccine, but to their credit, they made it very unpleasant for those that refuse to get vaccinated

As to where the Giants fit in, I haven't heard a peep.    I think the Giants getting to the 85% mark will be a test of Judge's coaching ability.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Here is an interesting Twitter thread from a virologist discussing the Delta variant

Dr. Angela Rasmussen

Excessively direct virologist. PI @VIDOInterVac. Affiliate @georgetown_ghss. Emerging virus host responses. 1X Jeopardy! loser. Rep: @anniescranton. she/her

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1415672461111271424.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on July 07, 2021, 08:51:26 PM
The Supreme Court ruled a while ago, I'm going to say about 100 but I'm not sure, that schools can require that students get vaccinated.  It was required by our local school district to have specific shots.  Small pox and polio are basically eradicated world wide. Around the year of 1900 the average life expectancy in the US was only 40 years.  Today that number has doubled to 79 years.  A large reason for this was vaccinations. 

Lenn, in PA doesn't have a helmet law and Florida is another state that doesn't.

I think that the better example would be cigarette smoking being band in public places, work place or restaurant because of second hand smoke.

I remember a high school history teacher once told us our freedom is limited to protect the rights of others.

These states that have low vaccination rates like Mississippi which has less then 30% of it's population which is only 2.9 million.  Just wait a few weeks after fourth of July parties the infection rates in these areas of the country where the vaccination rates are low will have outbreaks.  Maybe then some of them will start to see the light but by then for some it might be to late.

I posted this a few weeks ago just after the fourth of July.  Look at the states that are now hotspots.  Look at how these states medical facilities are now being taxed to beyond what they can handle. 

I saw a stat the other day that 99.5% of the Covid deaths in this country are attributed to people who are not vaccinated.  That's 199 out of 200.  These vaccinations do work.

On a related but not USA Covid subject.  There was an article in the Times today that the continent of Africa where Covid is rampant they are in desperate need of vaccines they just can't secure that would impact the continent.  The US should divert the vaccines, that are not being used by those states where their people will not protect themselves, to Africa.  If this were done you would definitely see outcries by the same people or groups that don't want to be vaccinated.

The bottom line, if we don't start address this virus on an international basis the world will not get out of this mess anytime soon.

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 16, 2021, 10:24:07 AM
Ed,

I don't wear a mask outdoors, but if I go shopping or I am indoors where I don't know if I will be around unvaccinated people I still wear a mask (I step down to a surgical level mask, rather than a KN95 level).  My feeling is the vaccine is like a bullet-proof vest.   The vest provides protection but that doesn't mean you want to test that protection by walking through a gunfight.

I can also tell you that Israel is back to masking up indoors.   Israel has a high vaccination rate and they vaccinated quicker than our nation did.  So they are sort of the canary in the coal mine, so to speak.   If you want to get a sense of what's coming in the future, watch what is happening in Israel.

Here is why:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/science/Israel-Pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

"And on Monday, Israel