News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hitchcock

Started by LennG, July 09, 2021, 11:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Many of us are huge fans of Alfred Hitchcock and his movies. We all have our favorites.
We also know Hitch had a 'thing' for putting himself into each movie, sometimes for a split second, sometimes in a shadow, sometimes just right here in front of you.

Here is a great site that shows (or not) every appearance he made in his movies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/every-cameo-that-alfred-hitchcock-made-in-his-films/ss-BB1gzWXm?ocid=msedgntp
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock's work. I think a strong case can be made that he is the greatest director ever. Sadly, he was far from the greatest person ever, however I don't think that should necessarily impugn the actual work he put out.

If I had to pick my favorite Hitchcock movie, I would probably go with "Rope." Stewart was awesome in that, as were both of the main actors. I loved how there was not a single cut in the whole movie. The tension and suspense in that movie was downright gripping, and the acting and dialogue are both superb. Just an all-around great movie.

ozzie

Funny you mention "Rope", I just watched that last weekend. Good movie and an interesting premise!
TCM showed quite a few Hitchcock films recently. I've got "The Lodger" & "The 39 Steps" waiting for me on the DVR.
I haven't seen everything he's done, but of what I've seen I think my favorite is "Notorious".
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

It's really hard to pick one over the other. Sure some were superb, while others were just good, but compared to so many other movies, even the so-so ones were just a joy to watch.

My wife's favorite is Vertigo and we have watched that so many times, I also love it.
While in my heart Psycho will always have a very soft spot, I think either Dial M For Murder or Rear Window are my favorites.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on July 09, 2021, 01:47:48 PM
It's really hard to pick one over the other. Sure some were superb, while others were just good, but compared to so many other movies, even the so-so ones were just a joy to watch.

My wife's favorite is Vertigo and we have watched that so many times, I also love it.
While in my heart Psycho will always have a very soft spot, I think either Dial M For Murder or Rear Window are my favorites.

After Rope, I'd probably go with Rear Window. That was definitely up there.

For some reason, I never liked North by Northwest as much as everyone else. Not sure why, but it just was never my favorite, even though I know it was for a lot of people.

Vertigo, The Birds, and Psycho were all great.

I haven't seen Dial M for Murder in ages but I know that was also a good one.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 09, 2021, 03:32:50 PM
After Rope, I'd probably go with Rear Window. That was definitely up there.

For some reason, I never liked North by Northwest as much as everyone else. Not sure why, but it just was never my favorite, even though I know it was for a lot of people.

Vertigo, The Birds, and Psycho were all great.

I haven't seen Dial M for Murder in ages but I know that was also a good one.

We had a thread here a while back about movies that if we see them while scrolling thru the channels, will always stop and watch. No need to only start at the beginning. I mention this because Dial M For Murder was just on TCM maybe a week ago and like I just said, I saw it while thumbing thru the channels and peeked in, and I was hooked all over again. (can't tell you how many times this has happened with Casablanca)
With many Hitchcock movies, unless you know the entire movie, it's hard to just 'pop in' but Dial M has been seen so many times and each time, a joy to watch. Grace Kelly at her loveliest.

Where I live, on Long Island, we have access to many, many libraries. Pre pandemic, most libraries had sort of lectures during the day, many about movies. Now, some of the libraries are starting in-person lectures once again. There was one person that always did a Hitchcock theme lecture. He told everyone beforehand, what movie they were going to discuss, we watched the movie at our convenience and then, as a group, discussed it. Next week, as a start-up, they are going to discuss 'Shadow of a Doubt' with Joseph Cotton. I already have it on my DVR and we will catch it over the weekend. Truly another great movie from the Master.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Neat discussion group idea.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on July 09, 2021, 09:45:49 PM
Neat discussion group idea.

Hey Lou, if you are in the neighborhood, drop in and join the discussion.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

Shoelessjoe

Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors but Michelangelo Antonioni who directed my favorite movie "Blow Up".  It was the film that got me interested in Photography back in 1967 and 1968.

The French absolutely loved Hitchcock.  If you ever get a chance to see the interviews by French director Francois Truffaut you will see absolute admiration for Hitchcock. 

Hitchcock was not to fond of mysteries but loved suspense.  He defined the difference between the two as being with a mystery it is more about who did it.  The audience doesn't know and they are focused on this aspect.  While with suspense you know who did it but you are brought along with epiphanies only to be brought down and then back up again.  It's almost as if he is toying with the audience.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on July 09, 2021, 07:06:43 PM
With many Hitchcock movies, unless you know the entire movie, it's hard to just 'pop in' but Dial M has been seen so many times and each time, a joy to watch. Grace Kelly at her loveliest.
=D>  Where's the "heart" emoji when I need it??
Dial M For Murder is my favorite Hitchcock film. Rear Window is right up there with it though.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on July 10, 2021, 10:22:11 PM
=D>  Where's the "heart" emoji when I need it??
Dial M For Murder is my favorite Hitchcock film. Rear Window is right up there with it though.

Steve

Still have that fixation of Ms. Kelley--even after all these years.     :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on July 11, 2021, 12:29:23 PM
Steve

Still have that fixation of Ms. Kelley--even after all these years.     :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Yes, even after all these years. Beauty like that does not easily fade away.

jimv

LennG

Quote from: jimv on July 11, 2021, 04:55:40 PM
KellEy??????

Give me a break Jim. That's all you can add to this thread.    :boooo: :boooo: :boooo: :boooo:

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Quote from: LennG on July 11, 2021, 06:48:44 PM
Give me a break Jim. That's all you can add to this thread.    :boooo: :boooo: :boooo: :boooo:

I just can't make up my mind to see if there's anything I care to add. :greetings: :greetings: :greetings: