News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quick question re: Kadarius Toney

Started by Bob In PA, July 22, 2021, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Eventually, IMO, the Giants will line up Kadarius Toney at every offensive skill position.

It's a certainty that he'll take a few direct snaps this season from some sort of "wildcat" type formation. 

But he was recruited to college as a QB... so I wonder how you assess the chances that he'll take at least one snap this season from UNDER CENTER?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

beaugestus

Bob, I don't know if he'll take a snap under center, but, I agree they will try everything within their system to try to get him into some space. Last year Garrett was limited in what he can call for a myriad of reasons.

FL GMAN

How about passes off a jet sweep or reverse ala OBJ

MightyGiants

At this point, I would be happy if Toney shows up to camp attends practice regularly, and shows a good attitude.  Until I see that, I am really not thinking about all the other things the team might be able to do with him.  I might be worrying for nothing, but I really have my concerns.

I remember prior to the draft.   There were many smart people saying this isn't the year to gamble on a prospect because there was only limited opportunities to interact and scout prospects.   I wonder if the Giants made a mistake drafting Toney as he was a prospect that came with character questions. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: FL GMAN on July 22, 2021, 01:23:38 PM
How about passes off a jet sweep or reverse ala OBJ
FL-G: THAT is going to happen.  Even Nick Falato has predicted that Toney will throw a few passes this season, likely off the fake reverse.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2021, 01:28:55 PM
At this point, I would be happy if Toney shows up to camp attends practice regularly, and shows a good attitude.  Until I see that, I am really not thinking about all the other things the team might be able to do with him.  I might be worrying for nothing, but I really have my concerns.

I remember prior to the draft.   There were many smart people saying this isn't the year to gamble on a prospect because there was only limited opportunities to interact and scout prospects.   I wonder if the Giants made a mistake drafting Toney as he was a prospect that came with character questions.
Rich: You're not alone.  Toney is an "outside the box" guy, which can be off-putting to many fans, but I think you're being a bit too guarded in your attitude. He's a fun-loving happy type of guy like Lamar Jackson, IMO. Bob

Ed Vette

I think you're on to something, Bob. I hope they can utilize his skill set and athleticism to it's fullest potential.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 22, 2021, 01:32:49 PM
Rich: You're not alone.  Toney is an "outside the box" guy, which can be off-putting to many fans, but I think you're being a bit too guarded in your attitude. He's a fun-loving happy type of guy like Lamar Jackson, IMO. Bob

I was talking to Jamie on the phone last night.  I referred to Toney as OBJ without the accomplishments ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2021, 01:28:55 PM

There was certainly a gamble here but I think they looked at it this way:

-We just scored a 1st round pick next year (which could easily be a top 15 one).
-We wanted a wide receiver to complement what we have and he in theory does that along with being a very high upside guy with his freakish change of direction ability

So in summation they felt at 20 with what they got to move down to 20 it was 'worth' the risk at that point.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

ozzie

I have to say I'm with Rich on this one. I hope for the best with and for Toney, but until I see something.....
And as far as Lamar Jackson goes, I don't think he ever had cleat problems or opted out of workouts.
Fingers crossed.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

PSUBeirut

I can definitely see Toney taking a snap from behind center and running some read option.  Not often, but doesn't have to be....   I'm gonna love seeing DJ splitting out  :laugh:

Painter

While I don't like the term, gadget player, there can be little doubt that the Giants will use Toney in a variety of ways from the slot, and outside in bunch, and I would expect also in sweeps and screens, and a Z Reverse.

Of course, one of his great strengths has been turning short passes into big gainers. Of his 1,583 career receiving yards at Florida, 64.4% of those came after the catch. That's what leads me to imagine the Giants Offense combining his short pass explosiveness with Golliday's as a deep threat. I'm less keen on seeing him in a Wildcat but, quien sabe, we are starting from nada

En todo caso, let's hope they all stay healthy and have a really good camp.

Cheers!

beaugestus

Larry having Mexican food tonight? Arriba!  =))

Painter

Quote from: beaugestus on July 22, 2021, 02:25:33 PM
Larry having Mexican food tonight? Arriba!  =))

Arriba! indeed, John. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to be confused with Speedy Gonzalez. And I'm too old to be a Spanish Gadfly. ;)

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Just so I'm clear, the only thing that Toney has actually done (or not done) that can really be criticized is not showing up for OTAs, right?

Maybe I'm forgetting something. But the cleat thing was not his fault, and if he genuinely had a family emergency (I think it is only fair to believe him unless there is evidence or probable cause that he was lying), then missing some time at work is hardly grounds for criticism. The tweeting and rapping is not a problem until it somehow becomes one.

Am I missing something? This might be a tempest in a teapot...