News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quick question re: Kadarius Toney

Started by Bob In PA, July 22, 2021, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaugestus

I hope your right Dave. He's a very talented young man.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 22, 2021, 02:43:11 PM
Just so I'm clear, the only thing that Toney has actually done (or not done) that can really be criticized is not showing up for OTAs, right?

Maybe I'm forgetting something. But the cleat thing was not his fault, and if he genuinely had a family emergency (I think it is only fair to believe him unless there is evidence or probably cause that he was lying), then missing some time at work is hardly grounds for criticism. The tweeting and rapping is not a problem until it becomes one.

Am I missing something? This might be a tempest in a teapot...

Dave,

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is likely to be or he is surely going to be a problem.  However, there are many of us who feel there is a reason for concern, with all the issues that have gone on.   I would add his retweet Cole Beasley's anti-vax message to the negative side of Toney's ledger  (won't it be great if Toney costs the Giants a game because he gets Covid and infects enough of his fellow players that the Giants have to forfeit?).  As for some of the other Tweets, I appreciate they could prove to be harmless, but I can't completely rule out that they could be red flags.

I would say if there weren't character issues with Toney coming out of college, it would be easier to dismiss everything.  Since he did have character issues, how things have gone since he was drafted has done nothing to assuage concerns.   For all I know, most of the "odd" behavior was the Giants hiding an injury issue Toney was dealing with (Giants don't have to give injury information this time of year). 

Hopefully in a week or two this whole issue will be behind us

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

I could see Jason Garrett using Toney for slant routes, dig routes, as well as bubble screen-type plays. I would like to see Barkley and Toney in the backfield at the same time..perhaps in an I-formation, with Golladay , Slayton and Sheppard playing WR and Engram or Rudolph at TE....lol.....how is a defensive coordinator going to stop that? And lets not forget Danny Dimes can run....
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2021, 03:04:14 PM
Dave,

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is likely to be or he is surely going to be a problem.  However, there are many of us who feel there is a reason for concern, with all the issues that have gone on.   I would add his retweet Cole Beasley's anti-vax message to the negative side of Toney's ledger  (won't it be great if Toney costs the Giants a game because he gets Covid and infects enough of his fellow players that the Giants have to forfeit?).  As for some of the other Tweets, I appreciate they could prove to be harmless, but I can't completely rule out that they could be red flags.

I would say if there weren't character issues with Toney coming out of college, it would be easier to dismiss everything.  Since he did have character issues, how things have gone since he was drafted has done nothing to assuage concerns.   For all I know, most of the "odd" behavior was the Giants hiding an injury issue Toney was dealing with (Giants don't have to give injury information this time of year). 

I was never really clear on what his character issues were in college. I know there was some smoke there, but the only actual incident I read about was the gun thing, which the cops ultimately determined was not unlawful.

If Toney ends up being a bad apple, this won't be a good look for Judge. He was adamant in a post-draft interview that he and others did their due dilligence on Toney and determined that the character stuff was a non-issue and that he was a good kid. If that turns out to have been a poor read on their part, he'll be criticized for that for sure.

4 Aces

Jackknife

That's what we'll see from Toney early. He has no real chance of beating out a veteran top 3 of Golladay, Shepard and Slayton this year. If they're healthy, they're the top 3.

But Toney's a 1st round pick, and he'll play plenty. I suspect he'll be the KR, PR and gadget player right away. Get the D flowing with Barkley and come back the other way with Toney. When they stretch horizontally, hit the deep ball to Golladay.

Blue Fire

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 22, 2021, 02:43:11 PM
Just so I'm clear, the only thing that Toney has actually done (or not done) that can really be criticized is not showing up for OTAs, right?

Maybe I'm forgetting something. But the cleat thing was not his fault, and if he genuinely had a family emergency (I think it is only fair to believe him unless there is evidence or probable cause that he was lying), then missing some time at work is hardly grounds for criticism. The tweeting and rapping is not a problem until it somehow becomes one.

Am I missing something? This might be a tempest in a teapot...

Its the combination of all them together in short succession . Then one of our coaches making mention of him having to understand quickly what NFL life is all about tell you that he is off to a bit of an inauspicious start.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2021, 03:04:14 PM
Dave,

I would say if there weren't character issues with Toney coming out of college, it would be easier to dismiss everything.  Since he did have character issues, how things have gone since he was drafted has done nothing to assuage concerns.   
For all I know, most of the "odd" behavior was the Giants hiding an injury issue Toney was dealing with (Giants don't have to give injury information this time of year). 

The one thing that I keep coming back to is that the OL is such a question mark from top to bottom.  There is not 1 player that is even in the conversation as a sure thing much less a pro bowl type. I don

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 22, 2021, 03:36:10 PM
I was never really clear on what his character issues were in college. I know there was some smoke there, but the only actual incident I read about was the gun thing, which the cops ultimately determined was not unlawful.

If Toney ends up being a bad apple, this won't be a good look for Judge. He was adamant in a post-draft interview that he and others did their due dilligence on Toney and determined that the character stuff was a non-issue and that he was a good kid. If that turns out to have been a poor read on their part, he'll be criticized for that for sure.

I think if Toney crashes and burn it comes back on both Gettleman and Judge, however, I think Judge will survive the blowback
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

In May of 2018, Toney was detained

Blue Fire

Toney has hit everything but the lottery with his start with the New York Football Giants. Add Kovid to the list

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on July 22, 2021, 04:59:04 PM
The one thing that I keep coming back to is that the OL is such a question mark from top to bottom.  There is not 1 player that is even in the conversation as a sure thing much less a pro bowl type. I don

Blue Fire

I'm rooting for this kid. Maybe he'll grow through this adversity. Anyone know the Tyree story?

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 22, 2021, 01:28:55 PM
At this point, I would be happy if Toney shows up to camp attends practice regularly, and shows a good attitude.  Until I see that, I am really not thinking about all the other things the team might be able to do with him.  I might be worrying for nothing, but I really have my concerns.

I remember prior to the draft.   There were many smart people saying this isn't the year to gamble on a prospect because there was only limited opportunities to interact and scout prospects.   I wonder if the Giants made a mistake drafting Toney as he was a prospect that came with character questions.

Oh, you foolish foolish foolish man.  Why don't you ask for the sun and the moon while you're at it!   :laugh: =))
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara