News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Pink Floyd versus Led Zeppelin

Started by DaveBrown74, August 04, 2021, 01:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I had a debate with a good friend of mine the other day about which of these two bands was "better." I put the word "better" in quotes because obviously this is entirely subjective, and we acknowledged that from the beginning of the conversation. Both are clearly iconic, great bands. That is not in question.

It's still a fun converation though. I thought I'd throw it in the FP to see if anyone here had a view. Since there isn't a ton of traffic here, I realize this thread idea may not take, but I still thought it would be worth posting.

For me personally, the winner is Zeppelin. I have always liked Floyd, and I went through a multi-year phase when I was in high school and college where I was very into them, but I have always loved Led Zeppelin, and that continues today. Floyd is more of an experiential type of band, almost like an opera. Zeppelin to me is just incredibly tight, high quality rock with a great blues element but also a lot of beautiful melody. Zeppelin also has truly top notch musicians in the band. Page is arguably the best guitarist of all time (certainly in the top short list), and Bonzo was one of the greatest drummers of all time (Rolling Stone has him as number one in their top 100). Plant is also clearly an iconic front man with a unique, powerful voice. So as individuals I think Zeppelin wins out, and for me personally their music is just more versatile while not sacrificing any quality.

One characteristic of a great band in my opinion is when you listen to the music, it can take you back to a certain time in your life and make memories more vivid. Both of these bands actually do that for me, but Zeppelin songs for me personally are ones I just always want to hear. For Floyd you need to be in a certain mood.

I would love to hear any opinions on this subject if there are any here.

FL GMAN

I like both bands so it's a tough choice but like you I would probably give the nod to the Zeppelin. As far as bands go I am more of a blues rock guy which is probably why I picked Led Zeppelin. My favorites are the Allman Brothers and Clapton but it's tough as Jeff Beck and Santana are high on my list as well. Of the new guys I like Derek Trucks the most followed by Kenny Wayne Sheppard Marcus king and Joe Bonamassa

ozzie

Both iconic. Both excellent. Having to choose one over the other I'll take Pink Floyd. I think there is more of a variety in their songs and I love Gilmour's playing.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: FL GMAN on August 04, 2021, 08:46:13 AM
I like both bands so it's a tough choice but like you I would probably give the nod to the Zeppelin. As far as bands go I am more of a blues rock guy which is probably why I picked Led Zeppelin. My favorites are the Allman Brothers and Clapton but it's tough as Jeff Beck and Santana are high on my list as well. Of the new guys I like Derek Trucks the most followed by Kenny Wayne Sheppard Marcus king and Joe Bonamassa

Love Allman Bros as well. One of the best shows I ever went to for any band was seeing them at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Fantastic.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on August 04, 2021, 08:51:53 AM
Both iconic. Both excellent. Having to choose one over the other I'll take Pink Floyd. I think there is more of a variety in their songs and I love Gilmour's playing.

I love Gilmour too. Talk about a talent.

Pink Floyd's music is hauntingly beautiful. It creates a mood in a way that Led Zeppelin doesn't (which isn't a knock on LZ but more of a strength of PF). There is no doubt about that. I actually find Zeppelin's music more varied overall, so your comment about variety was interesting to me. Maybe I'm forgetting about some of Floyd's songs.

Bob In PA

Zeppelin for me, and it's not even close (despite the fact that I spent much of ages 14 through 41 as a keyboard player in part- and full-time rock bands). Not dissing Pink Floyd, just professing a strong preference. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 04, 2021, 10:54:25 AM
Zeppelin for me, and it's not even close (despite the fact that I spent much of ages 14 through 41 as a keyboard player in part- and full-time rock bands). Not dissing Pink Floyd, just professing a strong preference. Bob

Same here.

It's a lively debate though. If you took a huge poll of many fans, you'd get close to a 50/50 response I think.

It is debated in great detail in this thread that I found while browsing online. Some excellent and interesting points made in some of these comments. Well worth purusing at your leisure if you have time and are interested in the subject:

https://www.quora.com/Music-Which-is-better-Led-Zeppelin-or-Pink-Floyd

Jolly Blue Giant

I know it's just a matter of taste, bur for me it's Zeppelin hands down. There were a couple of PF songs that I thought were OK, but they didn't ever blow me away. In the early 70's, I was always blown away by Zep.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

squibber

Excuse me for digressing here but I was always perplexed by the opening lyrics to Pink Floyd

squibber

To answer the OP, it is The Floyd for me. I like experiential music that takes my mind on a journey. David Gilmour

Sem

Quote from: squibber on August 05, 2021, 05:12:28 PM
Excuse me for digressing here but I was always perplexed by the opening lyrics to Pink Floyd

Sem

Quote from: squibber on August 05, 2021, 08:04:52 PM
Sem, I probably got that impression from David Gilmour who took a shot at Roger

GIANTS1

Pink Floyd for me. Love stairway to heaven but to much screaming in alot of LZ songs for me.

DaveBrown74

Going back to my earlier point about how people are very split on this subject overall, so far in this thread, by my count we have four votes for LZ and three for PF. It really is split, or pretty close to it....