News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Crazy Things Boomers Did That Millennials Just Won’t Get

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2021, 09:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on August 10, 2021, 11:49:34 AM
Buy a NEW car for  3G

I seem to remember a commercial when the Ford Maverick first came out which touted its base sticker price of $1999. Not positive though.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on August 10, 2021, 12:01:05 PM
I seem to remember a commercial when the Ford Maverick first came out which touted its base sticker price of $1999. Not positive though.
Ha, Steve, I'm, glad you mentioned that. My first car was a Ford Maverick. Bought it before it was even released. I was in Germany at the time, and they always had guys from car companies looking to sell cars to GIs. Guys were buying VW's for $1200 and shipping them back to the states. Anyway, I was about ready to rotate back to the USA, never drove a car before, didn't even have a driver's license, and this Ford guy came around advertising this 'NEW' car, the Maverick for $1600 special for servicemen. So I bought it, sight unseen, and told them I would pick it up at the factory in Detroit on a certain day. True story, I came home, took 10 driver's ed lessons in 2 weeks, scheduled my road test, passed it, and caught a military flight to Detroit, took a taxi to the factory, got my car, and drove it back home. I was never in a car alone before and drove that sucker all the way home.
Funny thing, the darn car needed shocks after about 6 months, I went to move the rearview mirror and it fell off, among many other things that went wrong in its first year. But, guys always remember their first car and that was it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on August 10, 2021, 03:45:29 PM
Ha, Steve, I'm, glad you mentioned that. My first car was a Ford Maverick. Bought it before it was even released. I was in Germany at the time, and they always had guys from car companies looking to sell cars to GIs. Guys were buying VW's for $1200 and shipping them back to the states. Anyway, I was about ready to rotate back to the USA, never drove a car before, didn't even have a driver's license, and this Ford guy came around advertising this 'NEW' car, the Maverick for $1600 special for servicemen. So I bought it, sight unseen, and told them I would pick it up at the factory in Detroit on a certain day. True story, I came home, took 10 driver's ed lessons in 2 weeks, scheduled my road test, passed it, and caught a military flight to Detroit, took a taxi to the factory, got my car, and drove it back home. I was never in a car alone before and drove that sucker all the way home.
Funny thing, the darn car needed shocks after about 6 months, I went to move the rearview mirror and it fell off, among many other things that went wrong in its first year. But, guys always remember their first car and that was it.

That's a great story Len!!