News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Stupid is as stupid does

Started by LennG, August 12, 2021, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 25, 2021, 08:24:08 AM
This is what we are dealing with

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A woman reveals to the Greenville, SC School Board tonight that she has uncovered a plot by the CDC to shut down schools and turn them into Nazi-style concentration camps, where children will be taken away from their parents, and couples separated from each other. <a href="https://t.co/AZjEY70GGv">pic.twitter.com/AZjEY70GGv</a></p>&mdash; Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1430343630749843456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIhOPOzlvTA

I know all of this is a serious discussion and that is not lost on me, but I found this to be hysterical.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 25, 2021, 09:49:26 AM
I know all of this is a serious discussion and that is not lost on me, but I found this to be hysterical.

The lack of common sense and self-awareness certainly has an amusement factor.  If it weren't for school boards and politicians listening to (and being voted in by) these people, it would be completely hilarious. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

With a vaccine and the treatments and knowledge available, I can't begin to fathom the stupidity that created this:

Bodies stacked to the ceiling as COVID-19 surge creates backlog at Florida funeral homes, crematories

WINTER GARDEN, Fla. (WESH)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

As the topic says, stupid is as stupid does.

If this is NY, imagine what is going on in the Southern states?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Florida school district mandates masks after 400 COVID cases reported in one day

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-school-district-mandates-masks-after-400-covid-cases-reported-in-one-day/ar-AANKi7O?ocid=msedgntp

Hundreds of new COVID-19 cases prompted a Florida school district to institute a 60-day mask mandate this week, becoming the latest county to require face coverings as the hypercontagious Delta variant ravages the state.

The Orange County School Board approved the mandate at their Tuesday meeting, one day after the district confirmed more than 400 new cases of COVID-19 contracted by students and employees. The mandate goes into effect at the start of next week for all Pre-K-12 schools.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

There is a movie called Iodocracy.   It's about a future where our nation's collective IQ diminishes and an average guy from the period of the movie (it's about 15 years old) is treated as a genius in that new era.   It would seem our nation has moved closer to being the idiocracy that was foretold in the movie

QuoteSen. Ron Johnson has made multiple podcast and radio appearances this week in which he pushes Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19 while fear mongering about vaccinations. And he
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Len,

I know you asked why the right is killing off their own people with callous indifference toward this deadly disease.   I have read some things that really explained how they got to that point.  It all comes down to April 7th 2020.  On that day the NY Times ran a banner headline about how Covid had a huge outsized impact on the African American community.   It showed it was killing predominantly African Americans and the elderly.   With that story, the right ran with the idea that the disease as a liberal (those white city dwellers getting Covid) and Democrat (those minorities being sickened).    Tucker Carlson who earlier had shown concern about Covid, did a 180 after the NY Times declaration and decided the disease isn't that bad and we needed to lift lockdowns.  Now there was a touch of agism thrown in as the right ran story after story how we shouldn't shut down just to protect the elderly. 

So that was the path they decided to head down.  Their beloved President called for Dr. Fauci to be fired and encouraged armed protestors to try and intimidate local governments into lifting Covid protections.

Over time, the disease did come after the white rural voters and undereducated suburban white voters who form the base of American's Trump cult.   Only their form of politics doesn't allow for one to admit a mistake.   Their cult-like ideology is based on the idea that their beliefs and positions are right 100% of the time.   So there was no way they could do a 180 and admit they were wrong and start fighting against rather than for the Covid virus, they were simply too deeply entrenched.

Of course, that didn't stop them from peddling the racist tinged false claims that undocumented immigrants are the real villain spreading the disease.   The funny thing is not one of the people pushing those false claims seems intelligent enough to recognize the glaring issue.    If undocumented immigrants are the big Covid problem why don't we see those undocumented immigrants filling up our ERs and ICUs rather than Conservatives?   

I guess at the end of the day if we want to see our nation become a better place we need to challenge those who love to say "ALL LIVES MATTER!" actually mean what they say.   We as a nation need to care about all Americans, not just ourselves.   As long as selfishness and self interest rule, disasters like we have seen in the handling of Covid will happen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

squibber

I read an opinion piece that said the governor of Florida is fighting against mandates to help the business owners financially, the same owners who contribute to his campaign funds. So the governor wants its residents to go about like nothing is going on and to have tourists keep coming and spending for the benefit of businesses.

Just an opinion but it could be true.

LennG

Why Are People Taking Horse Medication for COVID-19 Infections?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/why-are-people-taking-horse-medication-for-covid-19-infections/ar-AANX5c3?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

I was going to add a comment, but after reading this, what else can one say.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on August 31, 2021, 10:26:10 PM
Why Are People Taking Horse Medication for COVID-19 Infections?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/why-are-people-taking-horse-medication-for-covid-19-infections/ar-AANX5c3?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

I was going to add a comment, but after reading this, what else can one say.
Crazy!!
If you're going to use veterinary medicine to treat COVID, please do society a favor and get yourself spayed/neutered while you're there.

bamagiantfan

For those in denial about the choice of getting vaccinated, and the effect it may have on the status of an NFL roster spot, Urban Meyer tells the truth about what is going on even though the Jags are already in damage control mode.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-jaguars-release-statement-following-urban-meyers-covid-19-vaccination-comments-152645364.html
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

America's right-wing has been powered by hatred, anger, and fear for decades.  They also have created a propaganda network that replaces reality with a political construct.   Of course, such toxic emotions and routine denial of reality come with a cost.

So many are collectively taking leave of their senses.   They refuse FDA APPROVED vaccinations against a deadly disease in favor of horse dewormer which the FDA not only didn't approve but has said is dangerous and doesn't work.

It was only a matter of time that we would see the dangerous tactics of the right start to kill people (like the last year+ or more if you count the Iraq and Afghan wars).   I guess the biggest surprise is just how glaringly obvious their stupidity has become.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

A doctor in rural Oklahoma said the number of people overdosing on the deworming medication ivermectin was so high that emergency rooms were filled to the brim.

The situation is so dire that people with gunshot wounds have to wait their turn to get treatment, Dr. Jason McElyea, an ER physician affiliated with hospitals in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an NBC affiliate in Oklahoma City.

McElyea spoke to the channel this week about the dangers of overdosing on the version of ivermectin meant for use in livestock. He said the hospitals he worked at became overwhelmed after people started taking ivermectin, believing unverified claims that it's an effective COVID-19 treatment.

"The ERs are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated," McElyea said.

https://www.insider.com/oklahomas-emergency-rooms-are-clogged-with-people-overdosing-on-ivermectin-2021-9
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Quote from: LennG on August 25, 2021, 11:58:10 AM

If this is NY, imagine what is going on in the Southern states?

I don't need to imagine Lenn. My county in Alabama is about to pass 32% of the population fully vaccinated.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

LennG

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 01, 2021, 10:16:28 PM
I don't need to imagine Lenn. My county in Alabama is about to pass 32% of the population fully vaccinated.

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Charlie Weiss