News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where do you come down on this virus issue?

Started by Bob In PA, August 19, 2021, 07:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Should people who have had the coronavirus and who currently exhibit so-called "natural immunity" (the presence of covid19 antibodies in their system) be subject to vaccination requirements or other restrictions which certain institutions, public or private, are attempting to place on un-vaccinated people?  In other words, are there two kinds of un-vaccinated people (those who have the antibodies in their system and those who do not)?

https://universitybusiness.com/george-mason-relents-grants-covid-19-medical-exemption-to-professor/
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I don't have a super strong opinion on this, because I frankly don't know enough about the comparative science between being vaxed and just having had the virus, both from a strength of antibodies standpoint as well as from a longevity standpoint. I will say however, that in practical terms it sounds pretty messy to start having provisions for people who have had covid but haven't been vaxed. What happens if they had covid 6 months earlier and still aren't getting vaxed? 8 months? It just seems like that system would be incredibly messy and cumbersome, and when you're dealing with huge numbers of people (in fact the entire population), you kind of want to make things as seamless as you can.

MightyGiants

What accepted/recognized medical standard was cited in this case to justify the "natural immunity" claim????   We know Covid is a deadly pathogen so before we let this professor run around infecting others with a disease he already managed to contract once, there sure as hell should be a solid scientific justification.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 19, 2021, 08:26:34 AM
What accepted/recognized medical standard was cited in this case to justify the "natural immunity" claim????   We know Covid is a deadly pathogen so before we let this professor run around infecting others with a disease he already managed to contract once, there sure as hell should be a solid scientific justification.
Rich: Actually, I was hoping you already knew the answer.  I don't know either, but he must have cited something credible, unless the university folded its tent rather than put up an "all-out" fight.  Bob

PS. Here's the legal document, but it's fairly complicated and I'm more interested in the Giants/Browns today.

https://nclalegal.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Zywicki-Complaint-All-Attachments.pdf

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 19, 2021, 08:36:24 AM
Rich: Actually, I was hoping you already knew the answer.  I don't know either, but he must have cited something credible, unless the university folded its tent rather than put up an "all-out" fight.  Bob

Bob,

I am unaware of any approved/accepted authority that has set a standard of natural immunity.  All standards I am aware of are advising vaccination even if there has been a prior infection.

First hand, I can tell you that a brother of a guy I worked with died of Covid after he was infected for a second time.

Frankly I think it's reckless and dangerous for unqualified people to be making up their own medical standards.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 19, 2021, 08:57:38 AM
Bob,

I am unaware of any approved/accepted authority that has set a standard of natural immunity.  All standards I am aware of are advising vaccination even if there has been a prior infection.

Rich: Thank you.  That was my understanding also.  Bob