News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

SCAM ALERT

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, September 22, 2021, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

There is a scam going on right now that is nerve wracking. You get an email and it looks like this:

If you're like me, you go "whaaaatt??? I didn't order that".

So if you call the number to say you didn't want that so why am I getting it, you are told, "no problem, here's what you do to cancel"

You are told (in barely audible English) "Hold the windows key (bottom left hand corner) and the "R" key at the same time". A pop up comes on screen and the guy tells you to type a line of code. This is where you tell him to do whatever you want to himself. Regardless, DON'T follow his instructions and hang up.

I responded with "this is a scam buddy and I have a record of this going straight to the FBI" and hung up.

I called my bank and they said they have gotten a lot of calls about people saying they were charged for Norton 360...and it is a straight up scam. As long as you don't follow their instructions or give any information, then they can't get into your bank account.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

The tipoff that this was a scam/spam was right up at the top left corner, Ric.    See the email address after "Norton Team Billing"

Norton team billing doesn't use Gmail

As a general rule, you always want to look at the email address (not the name but the actual email address) that sent you whatever.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2021, 03:50:24 PM
The tipoff that this was a scam/spam was right up at the top left corner, Ric.    See the email address after "Norton Team Billing"

Norton team billing doesn't use Gmail

As a general rule, you always want to look at the email address (not the name but the actual email address) that sent you whatever.

Good point! Thanks Rich
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I understand the theory of it, but really, why would you (or anyone) call them?

How could they charge you?

I get emails all the time telling me I just bought $1200 worth of something from amazon, click on here if it wasn't me?

I go to my amazon account to check it out, not click on here.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Your county Division of Consumer Affairs may have an investigationEnforcement Outreach. We do in Bergen County.

https://bergenpassaicconsumeraffairs.com/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Blue4Life

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2021, 05:21:29 PM
I understand the theory of it, but really, why would you (or anyone) call them?

How could they charge you?

I get emails all the time telling me I just bought $1200 worth of something from amazon, click on here if it wasn't me?

I go to my amazon account to check it out, not click on here.

Maybe Jolly had been curious as to what happens, if he calls. I actually curious what was the code, that they wanted him to run. The "Windows-Key + R" will run the command, scripts, etc., at the logged in user account's access level. Since most of the people log in as administrators at home, even if the actual name of the account is Jolly for example, it's rather easy to gain remote access to the system. This type of scam counts on the administrator account, without it, the script will fail.

Well, there are ways to gain administrator access from the standard user account, but that's too long of a script to type in. Albeit they could give you a link to the script to run...

I'll stop here, before start to list all of the possibilities....  :confused: :laugh:

Sem

Quote from: Blue4Life on September 23, 2021, 02:28:06 PM
Maybe Jolly had been curious as to what happens, if he calls. I actually curious what was the code, that they wanted him to run. The "Windows-Key + R" will run the command, scripts, etc., at the logged in user account's access level. Since most of the people log in as administrators at home, even if the actual name of the account is Jolly for example, it's rather easy to gain remote access to the system. This type of scam counts on the administrator account, without it, the script will fail.

Well, there are ways to gain administrator access from the standard user account, but that's too long of a script to type in. Albeit they could give you a link to the script to run...

I'll stop here, before start to list all of the possibilities....  :confused: :laugh:

Hey hey easy there. I come here during work to get away from the I/T issues I deal with all day. Now I almost feel as if I should be getting paid to read this.  ;)

Blue4Life

Quote from: Sem on September 23, 2021, 03:42:12 PM
Hey hey easy there. I come here during work to get away from the I/T issues I deal with all day. Now I almost feel as if I should be getting paid to read this.  ;)

Presumably, you were getting paid for reading this...  ;) =))