News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Depression-era THANKSGIVING recipes that are actually delicious

Started by brownelvis54, November 06, 2021, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Really cool stuff here. Never knew that some of the recipes that Mom and Grandma used to cook had this kind of history.  Sadly most people ( including myself) don't know how to cook a lot of stuff here. Looking at the picture of the potato pancakes made me wish I had a plate of them right now.

Hard Times, Great Recipes
During the Depression, scarce resources and frugal mindsets forced home cooks to get creative during the holidays, but the recipes they devised out of necessity deserve a second look in times of plenty. These Thanksgiving recipes from the 1930s stood the test of time as reminders of an America that no longer exists, though some call for ingredients that might seem unfamiliar today and others require more work than modern cooks are used to putting in. All, however, were created for special feasts in a time food was a precious commodity.

LINK

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/depression-era-thanksgiving-recipes-that-are-actually-delicious/ss-AAQoBPO?ocid=msedgntp&pfr=1#image=1
The KING is in the building

ozzie

I have that exact recipe for Hoosier Cream Pie and was literally looking at it today, thinking about making it for Thanksgiving!
I think it's an omen telling me I should make it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

AZGiantFan

There is a very interesting Youtube channel called Great Depression Cooking with a lot of depression-era recipes being made by a woman who lived through it.  Here is a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-GVl7scrYE
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll