News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

20 best westerns of all time

Started by LennG, November 06, 2021, 08:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-magnificent-20-the-best-western-films-of-all-time/ar-AAQnVfV?ocid=msedgntp

Not a bad list if I do say so myself.

Sure all movies are subjective, and whoever is making these lists usually puts a few of their favorites in the mix. But again, I really cannot quarrel with any of the movies, or their particular ranking.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

You know me, Lenny.  I can't agree with the list or the placement of some of the pix.

I'll have to give this some thought.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but if "Tombstone" doesn't make the top 20 list, I have a hard time buying this guy's list.

IMHO, the no.1 Western of all time is Tombstone. After that, there's some good ones. I personally loved the western movie, "Purgatory". I also like the spaghetti westerns, but the only two westerns I will watch over and over again are "Tombstone" and "Purgatory"
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Glad to see one of my favorite movies, Rio Bravo, make the list, even if at only 16.

ozzie

Although not my favorite genre, I do like westerns. I have not seen everything on this list but I will add a couple I like.
Silverado. Great cast, good story and a fun movie.

The Quick & the Dead. Again, good cast and the classic showdown in the street between two gunslingers.

Support Your Local Sheriff. James Garner, Harry Morgan and Bruce Dern in a lighthearted fun movie about a new sheriff in town up against a family of outlaws & rustlers.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jimv

OK.  I finally decided to come back to this thread.  To begin, I've always liked watching Westerns, especially those made by John Ford.  But, it'll be difficult for me to make a "Top 20 List."  Anyway, IF I had to, there are only eight off the original list posted that I'd keep (A tough drop was "Shane."  That's a good one!)  Anyway, here's the eight I kept:
Rio Bravo
My Darling Clementine
The Gunfighter
The Magnificent Seven
Red River
High Noon
Stagecoach
The Searchers

So, I thought a lot & came up with 12 that I like a lot, but nothing in particular order;  just as they popped into my mind:

The Virginian (1929)
The Virginian (1946)
Big Country
The Bravados
The Westerner
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Dodge City
Open Range
The Tin Star
Along Came Jones
Jubal
Arizona

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm still trying to wrap my arms around the idea that "Tombstone" is completely left off this list and none of my friends on this site seem to like it either  :-??

How is that possible?

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 13, 2021, 11:42:16 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my arms around the idea that "Tombstone" is completely left off this list and none of my friends on this site seem to like it either  :-??

How is that possible?

Let me chime in. I have seen Tombstone a couple of times and yes it is a good movie. To ME, it isn't a classic and a bit too long, but again, a good movie. Why it gets no love, maybe it is because the story, for the most part, has been done several other times, in the movies. A movie like 'My Darling Clementine', while maybe much further from the real story, was just a much better movie. IMVHO. I would much rather watch Henry Fonda than Val Kilmer anyday, again Just MVHO.
If Tombstone were on and I was thumbing thru the channels and saw it, I MIGHT stop and watch and might not. If My Darling Clementine were on and I stumbled upon it, I would stay and watch.
Sorry, no offense meant.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss