News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Maps of the US

Started by Shoelessjoe, December 29, 2021, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoelessjoe

I found this on one of the Photography sites that I frequent.  The maps gives some insight into the US and populations.

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-723698-1.html

Bob In PA

Thanks, Frank, I found it very interesting!!!  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Blue4Life

Interesting maps and #4 map could've been made more interesting, like this one in the link below:

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

Two out of three people live within the 100 miles border zone, under the jurisdiction of Custom and Border Patrol (CBP) . So, why is that interesting, when most other countries around the borders probably have similar population statistics? Well, the major difference is the depth of the border zone and how the Constitution protection apply in this zone. For example the Fourth Amendment, among others, is not applicable in the US border zone. That's quite evident at border entry points, where border patrol can ask foreigners and Americans to unlock their electronic devices.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on December 29, 2021, 02:46:01 PM
I found this on one of the Photography sites that I frequent.  The maps gives some insight into the US and populations.

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-723698-1.html

Interesting data, Frank. My thoughts on the Coastal Populations reflected on how far the oceans recede during an Ice Age which cycles every 100,000 years or so with the exception of the Younger Dryas and the mini-ice ages of the last 2000 years. I wonder how many cities may have been wiped out along the coasts that were built when the water level dropped over 200 feet and the cycle reverted or during the great floods of 12,800 years ago. Lots have been said about global warming and the oceans rising. In 100 years, what will our coasts look like and will populations move inward?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Shoelessjoe

Here is another set of maps.

I like the Chef with KFC.
https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-723787-1.html

Ed Vette

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on December 30, 2021, 03:36:03 PM
Here is another set of maps.

I like the Chef with KFC.
https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-723787-1.html

The blue combined States vs LA County can't be correct. NJ alone has more almost 9 million people.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

The saddest map in the collection is the one showing all the countries of the world who still use the imperial measurement system. The U.S., Liberia, and Myanmar - we're not exactly in line with the most technical countries of the world.

Never thought much of Jimmy Carter, but his attempt to convert the U.S. to the metric system was spot on and would have been a remarkable legacy for him to go down in history books. It's really a damn shame that Reagan didn't continue the push  ~X(. The Imperial system is antiquated and complicated. Depending on which measurement being used, it is anything but the base 10 system. A foot was something akin to the size of a particular man's (apparently quite a large man for the time period) foot length in the 1600's...and is divided into 12ths for a base 12 math system. Three of his steps made up a yard (base 3 system), a "rod" (base 16) was a length used by some individual who had a long branch in his yard, etc., etc.

America might not be so far behind the rest of the world in math if our entire system of measurement was actually in base 10 like the rest of the modern world. It baffles me that the mighty U.S. never made the move to metric. Hell, even the Brits who invented the imperial system abandoned it decades ago seeing the benefits of a universal system using base 10 math. About the only metric measurement that most American kids understand is a 2 liter bottle because they like soda. And those who do a lot of international travel understand 100 KPH speed limit on many road signs is akin to "more than 60, but less than 65 MPH". Especially after being pulled over for going a hundred miles an hour...LOL

I doubt 95% of today's high school students could convert an inch to centimeters without going to Google or looking up a formula in a text book. It's really a crying shame  :'(

There is one imperial measurement that I actually prefer over metric and that is Fahrenheit over Celsius as temperatures are much more finely gradated than those in Celsius. Although, zero degrees as the freezing point and 100 degrees as boiling point per Celsius measurements is perfectly logical (as Spock would say)
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: