News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Wine Corner

Started by GordonGekko80, February 10, 2022, 04:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

I've been thinking for a while about opening a thread in here about this topic as I enjoy US wines very much (especially Californians).

As a native Italian I have a palate for our own ones, but I enjoy US wines very much, too, of which I would like to share a couple with you guys (although I understand that Wine Tastes are extremely subjective).
So I'd like to kick off an Exchange on the topic, hoping that it can flourish.. :)

The best US Red Wine I have had in my 42 years was the following

Dominus Napa Valley Christian Moueix
Cabernet Sauv., Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot

My Take: Deep and dark ruby red, complex aromas of red and black berries, lots of spice and floral notes, elegant on the palate with polished tannins, juicy fruit and a beautifully integrated oak note, ends intensively and long.
Rating from 1-10 this was clearly a 10. The price is prohibitive though (300$ a bottle over here)

Another I have tried lately and like very much was this one:

Intrinsic Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, Intrinsic Wine Co.
Cabernet Sauv., Cabernet Franc

My Take: Great label and very enjoyable US Cabernet Sauvignon! Once opened, the Intrinsic must be allowed to breathe so it can unfold its aromas. A nice, soft Cabernet Sauvignon, aromatic, nice to drink with a pleasant, mild acidity and light tannin structure. The regular CH price too high, but very consistent in the offer! ($50 a bottle in normal price, I got 2 boxes of 12 bottles each for in offer of 28$ a bottle - that's the price it's worth in my view).
Rating from 1-10 this was an 8 for me.

I can also give you a couple of Italians, Spaniards but also some Swiss, Austrians and South Americans if you are interested...
Overall, I mostly enjoy Malbec, Merlot, Tempranillo, Corvina among others...

Bob In PA

Gordon:  I don't know enough about wine to do anything other than read the posts here, but thanks for starting this thread.  Good idea. I'm certain to learn something... as I know little to nothing.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Ed Vette

I was told that the higher the alcohol percentage the peak ripeness of the grapes and the best time to capture the flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

I live right in the heart of California's Central Coast wine region. There's somewhere between 250-300 wineries within 90 minutes of our house. Our region doesn't have the reputation of Napa or Sonoma counties but are still producing some fine wines. My wife and I are members of two wine clubs, one is a local winery that's known for their Rh

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Sem on February 10, 2022, 10:47:13 AM
I live right in the heart of California's Central Coast wine region. There's somewhere between 250-300 wineries within 90 minutes of our house. Our region doesn't have the reputation of Napa or Sonoma counties but are still producing some fine wines. My wife and I are members of two wine clubs, one is a local winery that's known for their Rh

MagicRat

I'm no expert, but I'm very partial to a nice red.

My usual go-to is South American.
Primarily a nice Chilean or Argentinian Malbec.
I like a full bodied red.

Now, when are we getting a malt whisky thread........
Smell my cheese you mother!

LennG

A topic I really cannot contribute to. When I was in the service, in Germany, I got to know a lot about Rhine Wines and other German wines, but that has long gone. Today my complete wine list is a hearty bottle of Manechevitz Concord Grape as sweet as a wine can get.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Upon consideration of the title of this thread (and recalling a bad joke my wife often makes), it occurred to me that some days we could justifiably refer to the main football thread as "The Whine Corner."  Sorry.  Bob

babywhales

I must say I enjoy wine

I founded a wine club of 4 couples and we meet with each couple hosting, theme based each night.
WE have done:
vintage comparisons by region
vintage comparison by vineyard
By region
By grape
comparing genomes from Europe that were used to cultivate in USA
Food Parings
Fire year vs non fire year

makes the exploration more academic 

I have been collecting wine for over 20 years.

When my wife caught covid she can no longer drink red wine and has shifted to Cognac, Sauvaugn blanc and Rose' so its been interesting

I probably have around 250 bottles + or - from all over the world

Great topic
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Bob In PA

Quote from: babywhales on February 10, 2022, 03:58:21 PM
When my wife caught covid she can no longer drink red wine
Chris: That's unexpected... if you search the Internet for "covid red wine" you'll see that they suspect a connection between drinking red wine and NOT getting covid.  Looks like getting the disease changes things. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MagicRat on February 10, 2022, 03:13:38 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm very partial to a nice red.

My usual go-to is South American.
Primarily a nice Chilean or Argentinian Malbec.
I like a full bodied red.

Now, when are we getting a malt whisky thread........
Magic: Pinch... end of thread.  LOL  Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 10, 2022, 04:10:36 PM
Magic: Pinch... end of thread.  LOL  Bob

=)) LOL...I'll keep it going

I'm not a big wine guy myself - almost nothing but beer for me...and I'm not a beer snob. I drink Busch Lite at home and Miller Lite when out on the town. I do like a pint of draft Yuengling from the tap every now and then, but stick to the Lites for most cases. Don't care much for hard liquor. If I do drink liquor, it's an occasional (and by occasional I mean once or twice a year) dirty Grey Goose Martini and on even rarer occasions, a Bloody Mary. I only do shots when someone pays for them and they are set in front of me and I complain about it because I don't care for the taste and I don't like feeling drunk or not in complete control

After I retired a few years ago, I started a Wine Touring business in the Finger Lakes. I could take up to 12 passengers and got to know dozens of the owners of wineries. Of course I couldn't drink because I was driving, but I learned alot about wines - at least wines of the Finger Lakes. Quite often, one of my customers or an owner of a winery would give me a bottle of wine. Almost always a Riesling for which the area is famous. To me, it didn't taste a lot different than Gew
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on February 10, 2022, 11:18:10 AM
Nice insight Sem. Much appreciated.

Any special ones that spring to mind which you'd say are worth for me trying?

I really can't be much help. Honestly I'm far from an expert when it comes to wines, I drink so few anymore and that's not about to change. However there's a few local wineries that produce wines that I really enjoy. One is Brander, known for their Sauvignon blanc, (most bottles are $25-$30), another is Laetitia Winery, they produce a variety of wines, my favorite of which is a Pinot Noir  - La Colline ($65). Also, Zaca Mesa Winery is known for Syrah, and they're one of the oldest wineries in the area. I do remember seeing Zaca Mesa wines back in NY, but I don't recall seeing wines from the other two wineries, but I never really searched for them either. Then about 40 minutes up the road in Paso Robles there are over 200 wineries, many of which are producing some very nice Zinfandels, but I don't know enough about them to recommend any. Tobin James, who I think might be found nationally, is up there but the one time I stopped in for a tasting it was a horrible experience so I never explored their wine.

* Not sure if you've ever watched the movie Sideways, but it was a wine-related movie filmed right around where we live.

Bob In PA

Jolly: I feel obligated to explain my previous note to Magic Rat.  I was not suggesting that my comment was the end of this (wine) thread.  He wondered where the malt whiskey thread is.....

I was feigning a belief that "Pinch" (known as "The Dimple" everywhere but in the USA) is the best... and suggesting in jest that the mere mention of Pinch would mark the end of the whiskey discussion.

Although I do like Pinch a lot, I don't think it is considered by connoisseurs to be in the class of something like Aberlour 16 (for example) or other more familiar "top shelf" whiskies.

Bob

PS. And I apologize for going off-topic.