News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Wine Corner

Started by GordonGekko80, February 10, 2022, 04:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

I'll be ready for a bourbon thread.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MagicRat on February 10, 2022, 03:13:38 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm very partial to a nice red.

My usual go-to is South American.
Primarily a nice Chilean or Argentinian Malbec.
I like a full bodied red.

Now, when are we getting a malt whisky thread........

Good you mention you like Malbec, I have a very excellent one for you

Malbec Single Vineyard Finca Coletto Trapiche Mendoza
My Take: With its deep violet color, this Malbec already impresses visually. Immediately after opening, intensive aromas of plums, black cherries, blackberries and violets fill the air. What glorious opulence! But the wine only reveals its full splendor on the palate: the structure, which is as fresh as it is full, is carried by the wonderfully supple tannins with great power. Now there is also a finely balanced minerals that lasts until the overwhelmingly long finish. This is a really, really great show!
Rating: 8.5
Note: Deemed to be the best Malbec in the world...

Grapes: 100% Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Producer: Bodegas Trapiche
Alc.: 15%
Vintage: 2017

Goes with: A fine steak made from the best Argentinian beef is a worthy accompaniment for such an exceptional wine (though you guys have very good meat in the US, too - so a nice T-Bone goes very well with it as well). Grilled vegetables are also a real treat.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: babywhales on February 10, 2022, 03:58:21 PM
I must say I enjoy wine

I founded a wine club of 4 couples and we meet with each couple hosting, theme based each night.
WE have done:
vintage comparisons by region
vintage comparison by vineyard
By region
By grape
comparing genomes from Europe that were used to cultivate in USA
Food Parings
Fire year vs non fire year

makes the exploration more academic 

I have been collecting wine for over 20 years.

When my wife caught covid she can no longer drink red wine and has shifted to Cognac, Sauvaugn blanc and Rose' so its been interesting

I probably have around 250 bottles + or - from all over the world

Great topic

Nice one... to me, there is nothing better than a fine wine with a good dinner... THIS is what I call quality of life.

I mostly enjoy quite "heavy" wines with an intense, round body. I started drinking wine with Amarone, probably one of the heaviest overall.

My cave has about 200 bottles as well at the moment and I have been stacking up with US ones as well lately.

Let me give you a special one, which from a price vs quality perspective is really excellent:

Taglio del Tralcio, Aglianico del Vulture DOC, Re Manfredi
Grapes: 100% Aglianico del Vulture
Region: Basilicata, Italy

What's special about it is the production: When the grapes are ripe, the so-called "cutting of the shoot" ('taglio del tralcio') is practiced, which involves cutting the fruit head in order to interrupt the flow of sap between roots and bunches. It is thanks to this particular phenomenon of dehydration, which lasts from 7 to 10 days, that the grapes undergo a concentration of hints of ripe fruit and a softening of tannins. The hand-picked grapes begin the winemaking process with a cold maceration lasting 10 days followed by alcoholic fermentation. Finally, the wine ages for about 6 months in large barrels and for 6 months in the bottle.

My take: Purple red; intense aroma of red fruits such as blackberries and black cherries. On the palate it is soft with enveloping tannins. Round and fruity finish.
Rating: 7

Recommended with: baked pasta, red meats, braised meats, aged cheeses. Calzoncelli stuffed with ricotta and cinnamon with lamb ragout, Lucana-style stuffed chicken baked in the oven.

GordonGekko80

MagicRat

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 10, 2022, 10:23:33 PM
Jolly: I feel obligated to explain my previous note to Magic Rat.  I was not suggesting that my comment was the end of this (wine) thread.  He wondered where the malt whiskey thread is.....

I was feigning a belief that "Pinch" (known as "The Dimple" everywhere but in the USA) is the best... and suggesting in jest that the mere mention of Pinch would mark the end of the whiskey discussion.

Although I do like Pinch a lot, I don't think it is considered by connoisseurs to be in the class of something like Aberlour 16 (for example) or other more familiar "top shelf" whiskies.

Bob

PS. And I apologize for going off-topic.

You know, I've never tried the dimple/pinch but, I'm aware that it's a blend rather than a malt.....being a pedant here!

But you're on the money with Aberlour, the 16 is a special occasion drink, but the 10 and 12 year old are a nice dram also.

If you like a Speyside malt you should try the Cardhu, Gold Reserve. That's my current fav.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Bob In PA

Quote from: MagicRat on February 11, 2022, 04:46:00 PM
You know, I've never tried the dimple/pinch but, I'm aware that it's a blend rather than a malt.....being a pedant here!

But you're on the money with Aberlour, the 16 is a special occasion drink, but the 10 and 12 year old are a nice dram also.

If you like a Speyside malt you should try the Cardhu, Gold Reserve. That's my current fav.
Magic: Talk about coincidence.... just today, before I came here, I ordered a bottle of the Gold Reserve "Game Of Thrones" edition... I wanted to see if it is the same or different than the "regular" Gold Reserve. LOL Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MagicRat

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 11, 2022, 05:10:03 PM
Magic: Talk about coincidence.... just today, before I came here, I ordered a bottle of the Gold Reserve "Game Of Thrones" edition... I wanted to see if it is the same or different than the "regular" Gold Reserve. LOL Bob
Great  minds Bob!
Smell my cheese you mother!

Sem

We have a wine dinner coming up in a couple weeks at our son-in-law

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Sem on February 11, 2022, 06:14:53 PM
We have a wine dinner coming up in a couple weeks at our son-in-law

Sem

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 12, 2022, 03:04:44 PM
I see an Uber ride in your near future...!
Yeah, not sure we'll go to this one, but if we do we may not be driving anyway. But the nice thing about these events is it's a lot of food-to-wine ratio, and it's spread over a few hours so it's not as bad as it seems.