News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Smith/Chris Rock incident: Real or Staged?

Started by DaveBrown74, March 28, 2022, 06:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

One argument in favor of this event being staged is Rock's physical reaction to the blow. If you watch him, he has his hands behind his back and is leaning outwards, just prior to being struck. Two observations:

(1) If an angry person is aggressively storming towards you, the natural reaction is to take a more stable, defensive physical posture. You generally don't see people sticking their face out with their hands behind their backs in this situation. Granted, if it was real, Rock probably was not expecting Smith to actually hit him.

(2) Given his less than stable stance, a blow of that force would tend to knock the person down, or at least cause them to stagger or double over. Or at least to touch their face afterwards, check for blood, etc. Rock does none of that. In fact, he barely moves his feet.

The part of this that seems real is Smith's furious screaming after he has returned to his seat. The actual punch did not look conclusively real in my opinion.

I am still sticking to the view that it was real though. All of the reaction the next day makes it seem like it was, and I just don't believe that the Academy would sign off on something like this, including violence and major, high volume profanity. I also don't think the LAPD would have been willing to formally participate in a staged hoax.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on March 28, 2022, 09:10:04 AM
And Lucille

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually all that being said, Chris Rock is an XXXXXXX and needs a good punch in the face. I
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2022, 09:23:18 AM
One argument in favor of this event being staged is Rock's physical reaction to the blow. If you watch him, he has his hands behind his back and is leaning outwards, just prior to being struck. Two observations:

(1) If an angry person is aggressively storming towards you, the natural reaction is to take a more stable, defensive physical posture. You generally don't see people sticking their face out with their hands behind their backs in this situation. Granted, if it was real, Rock probably was not expecting Smith to actually hit him.

(2) Given his less than stable stance, a blow of that force would tend to knock the person down, or at least cause them to stagger or double over. Or at least to touch their face afterwards, check for blood, etc. Rock does none of that. In fact, he barely moves his feet.

The part of this that seems real is Smith's furious screaming after he has returned to his seat. The actual punch did not look conclusively real in my opinion.

I am still sticking to the view that it was real though. All of the reaction the next day makes it seem like it was, and I just don't believe that the Academy would sign off on something like this, including violence and major, high volume profanity. I also don't think the LAPD would have been willing to formally participate in a staged hoax.
You hit on yet you circle back. Lol
He instinctively would have put his hands forward to protect himself even after the blow. It
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 28, 2022, 09:18:16 AM
There are some really decent people in that arena; albeit, not a whole lot IMO. They've lost touch with real people yet oftentimes have an awful lot to say about things in which they are hardly experts. One of the actors who I used to hold in high regard, but no longer do is Tom Hanks. His smug reaction in response to Ricky Gervais during the Golden Globes (and Gervais is friggin hilarious in that position) and subsequent smugness towards the "little people" turned me off. I don't know if I totally agree with Marlon Brando after refusing the Academy Award for his role in the Godfather, but some of what he said was spot on. He said acting does not deserve accolades as it's nothing more than prostituting yourself for other peoples' enjoyment and is nothing more than pretending to be someone else.

However...I guess...pretending to be someone and doing an excellent job at it compared to rivals should be acknowledged...IMO. It only goes south when an actor suddenly decides he or she has "arrived at the pinnacle of humanity and should be adored - if not worshipped - by all" because they did a good job at pretending to be someone else

Regardless, Hollywood is Hollywood - a fairy tale land where commoners (usually very good looking ones) can become some of the wealthiest people in the world and get to flaunt limos, mansions, jewelry and outfits that cost tens of thousands of dollars while looking down their noses at the peons who revere them. I can't imagine what starving children and billions of poverty stricken around the world think of these people

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 28, 2022, 09:26:31 AM
You hit on yet you circle back. Lol
He instinctively would have put his hands forward to protect himself even after the blow. It

DaveBrown74

Many people resent Hollywood for giving/receiving awards, doing speeches, and often being arrogant, but athletes do exactly the same things, don't they? How come they don't get criticized for similar behavior? Is it because Hollywood gets more involved in liberal politics? Outside of that, I don't see a ton of difference as far as this aspect of their respective industries go.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2022, 09:23:18 AM

I think it was coordinated between just the two of them but Will went a little off script with the follow-up profanities.

Now, this is a reach but I think it's a possibility: Jada has essentially emasculated Will IN PUBLIC with her admissions of infidelity. Maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, Will gave Rock the go-ahead to tell the GI Jane 2 joke knowing that Jada would take it personally. Will had a hearty laugh at it and then feigned offended outrage.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2022, 09:32:03 AM
Many people resent Hollywood for giving/receiving awards, doing speeches, and often being arrogant, but athletes do exactly the same things, don't they? How come they don't get criticized for similar behavior? Is it because Hollywood gets more involved in liberal politics? Outside of that, I don't see a ton of difference as far as this aspect of their respective industries go.
So do high level executives and business owners with all those fancy dinners honoring each other with a hand job passing it on to the next one. All Pomp and Circumstance. In that case the criticism gets whispered.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 28, 2022, 09:46:58 AM
So do high level executives and business owners with all those fancy dinners honoring each other with a hand job passing it on to the next one. All Pomp and Circumstance. In that case the criticism gets whispered.

Good point - I agree.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on March 28, 2022, 09:44:06 AM
I think it was coordinated between just the two of them but Will went a little off script with the follow-up profanities.

Now, this is a reach but I think it's a possibility: Jada has essentially emasculated Will IN PUBLIC with her admissions of infidelity. Maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, Will gave Rock the go-ahead to tell the GI Jane 2 joke knowing that Jada would take it personally. Will had a hearty laugh at it and then feigned offended outrage.
He actually was smiling as he walked off stage.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 28, 2022, 09:18:16 AM
There are some really decent people in that arena; albeit, not a whole lot IMO. They've lost touch with real people yet oftentimes have an awful lot to say about things in which they are hardly experts. One of the actors who I used to hold in high regard, but no longer do is Tom Hanks. His smug reaction in response to Ricky Gervais during the Golden Globes (and Gervais is friggin hilarious in that position) and subsequent smugness towards the "little people" turned me off. I don't know if I totally agree with Marlon Brando after refusing the Academy Award for his role in the Godfather, but some of what he said was spot on. He said acting does not deserve accolades as it's nothing more than prostituting yourself for other peoples' enjoyment and is nothing more than pretending to be someone else.

However...I guess...pretending to be someone and doing an excellent job at it compared to rivals should be acknowledged...IMO. It only goes south when an actor suddenly decides he or she has "arrived at the pinnacle of humanity and should be adored - if not worshipped - by all" because they did a good job at pretending to be someone else

Regardless, Hollywood is Hollywood - a fairy tale land where commoners (usually very good looking ones) can become some of the wealthiest people in the world and get to flaunt limos, mansions, jewelry and outfits that cost tens of thousands of dollars while looking down their noses at the peons who revere them. I can't imagine what starving children and billions of poverty stricken around the world think of these people

When I hear comments like this and I consider the factual actions of the man on who the scorn is heaped, I wonder how such a disconnect is created.  I mean I like to think I am a good person, but Tom Hank's good deeds and works far exceed my own

https://thelatch.com.au/tom-hanks-charity-work/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Interesting theory. Certainly cannot be ruled out!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2022, 09:48:32 AM
When I hear comments like this and I consider the factual actions of the man on who the scorn is heaped, I wonder how such a disconnect is created.  I mean I like to think I am a good person, but Tom Hank's good deeds and works far exceed my own

https://thelatch.com.au/tom-hanks-charity-work/
Just cause someone does good deeds and throws money they have and can afford to give away doesn

Slugsy-Narrows

I could see that!  Like I said earlier he was laughing before he wasn

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on March 28, 2022, 09:52:14 AM
Just cause someone does good deeds and throws money they have and can afford to give away doesn
~ Coach Tom Coughlin