News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Smith/Chris Rock incident: Real or Staged?

Started by DaveBrown74, March 28, 2022, 06:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2022, 01:49:19 PM
I look at it this way, I seriously doubt one size fits all when you are talking about half the earth's population
I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that  :confused:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 29, 2022, 02:01:49 PM
I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that  :confused:

No, but I thought it was worth clarifying. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 01:53:01 PM
If they have an open marriage, then presumably that is something they mutually agreed to, and both of them were seeing other people. So given that, I am not sure why Will Smith would feel any more jilted, cuckolded, or humiliated than his wife would. Or why either of them would if they both agreed to it. I am not sure I see any connection between the open marriage and what happened at the Oscars myself, although admittedly I am not privy to the intimate details of their personal life.

Smith is clearly a hot-tempered, volatile person with violent instincts who thinks it's ok to smack someone. It's not the first time he has been caught on camera slapping someone. He also showed no remorse or regret the rest of the night after the incident and only put the apology out there once his PR team and agent got to him and persuaded him to. I disagree that this is publicity that he wants. He looks really bad right now, plus he didn't need any additional publicity as he was awarded best actor by the Academy. That is more publicity than almost any actor gets. Nobody wants to look like the biggest douche bag in America, which is what he looks like right now.

You think so?  If only real life was like the printed word.  Cut and dry.  Suuuuure they both wanted it.  The rest of what you wrote is just based on what you declared as given.

Have you ever met people in an open marriage before?  I have.  My sample size is only two couples (though I would guess this is far more than most people have encountered in their lives) and in both cases I got the sense that one of them wanted it more than the other and that the latter merely agreed to it more than wanted it themselves.

You can say "clearly" this and that but you just never know.

And if you dont know how one incident can lead up to a completely unrelated incident....then that renders anyone on this message board who has ever apologized for bad forum behavior with the explanation that "things have been stressful in my life lately" as an excuse maker.   I don't think that's fair?  Do you?  Besides, what need is there for a logical connection when we're talking about irrational behavior?  One can have a string of unconnected bad incidents that trigger some strange misdirected retaliation. 

On a side note, reading through this thread, I can tell you guys are in full on draft geek mode as the analysis of this incident is rife with deep dive pin point hawk eyed looks into tells and body language.  Some of you guys were born with calculators in your diapers.

"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 01:53:01 PM
If they have an open marriage, then presumably that is something they mutually agreed to, and both of them were seeing other people. So given that, I am not sure why Will Smith would feel any more jilted, cuckolded, or humiliated than his wife would. Or why either of them would if they both agreed to it. I am not sure I see any connection between the open marriage and what happened at the Oscars myself, although admittedly I am not privy to the intimate details of their personal life.

Smith is clearly a hot-tempered, volatile person with violent instincts who thinks it's ok to smack someone. It's not the first time he has been caught on camera slapping someone. He also showed no remorse or regret the rest of the night after the incident and only put the apology out there once his PR team and agent got to him and persuaded him to. I disagree that this is publicity that he wants. He looks really bad right now, plus he didn't need any additional publicity as he was awarded best actor by the Academy. That is more publicity than almost any actor gets. Nobody wants to look like the biggest douche bag in America, which is what he looks like right now.

It's amazing that any actor/actress doesn't have an open marriage. They make movies thousands of miles apart for weeks and even months at a time. If one is gone and gets back, then the spouse is off making a movie somewhere. I've read that some married celebrities only see each other a couple times a year

If you read up about the lives of the old 1930s-60s gossip columns, open everything was the standard. Read up on Lana Turner, Mae West, Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawford...just a tiny list of women who spent a lot of time on their backs (and other positions). Then there was Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, just off the top my head who boasted of sleeping with at least a thousand women. In fact, in old Hollywood it was just expected that sex came with the job and a marriage was little more than show. And even though the gay lifestyle wasn't really accepted by the general population until recently, it was rampant throughout Hollywood and everyone knew it and no one gave a rat's ass (Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn, Marlene Dietrich...and of course Rock Hudson, Chuck Conners, Vincent Price, Raymond Burr, Spencer Tracy (he claimed to only be bi though), some even say Cary Grant crossed to the other side, etc.). It should come as no shock that Harvey Weinstein (having known and been a part of the long history of sex in Hollywood) simply expected all actresses to put out if they wanted in the game - it was standard procedure for decades

Nothing in celebrities lives should shock us - in sports (Wilt Chamberlain, Tiger, Ric Flair, the list is endless). Same goes for musicians, politicians, and general socialites. Anyway, you get the picture. So when Will and Jada announced they had an open marriage I really don't know what the big deal was about as that has always been the unspoken rule in Hollywood in most cases

Moral of the story: If you want a quiet normal marriage, keep a simple life, don't get rich, and stay out of the spot light. Or like that old song by Jimmy Soul, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty woman your wife, So for my personal point of view, Get an ugly girl to marry you.." Even then there will most likely be challenges for which I can attest to... LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 29, 2022, 02:39:54 PM
It's amazing that any actor/actress doesn't have an open marriage. They make movies thousands of miles apart for weeks and even months at a time. If one is gone and gets back, then the spouse is off making a movie somewhere. I've read that some married celebrities only see each other a couple times a year

If you read up about the lives of the old 1930s-60s gossip columns, open everything was the standard. Read up on Lana Turner, Mae West, Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawford...just a tiny list of women who spent a lot of time on their backs (and other positions). Then there was Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, just off the top my head who boasted of sleeping with at least a thousand women. In fact, in old Hollywood it was just expected that sex came with the job and a marriage was little more than show. And even though the gay lifestyle wasn't really accepted by the general population until recently, it was rampant throughout Hollywood and everyone knew it and no one gave a rat's ass (Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn, Marlene Dietrich...and of course Rock Hudson, Chuck Conners, Vincent Price, Raymond Burr, Spencer Tracy (he claimed to only be bi though), some even say Cary Grant crossed to the other side, etc.). It should come as no shock that Harvey Weinstein (having known and been a part of the long history of sex in Hollywood) simply expected all actresses to put out if they wanted in the game - it was standard procedure for decades

Nothing in celebrities lives should shock us - in sports (Wilt Chamberlain, Tiger, Ric Flair, the list is endless). Same goes for musicians, politicians, and general socialites. Anyway, you get the picture. So when Will and Jada announced they had an open marriage I really don't know what the big deal was about as that has always been the unspoken rule in Hollywood in most cases

Moral of the story: If you want a quiet normal marriage, keep a simple life, don't get rich, and stay out of the spot light. Or like that old song by Jimmy Soul, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty woman your wife, So for my personal point of view, Get an ugly girl to marry you.." Even then there will most likely be challenges for which I can attest to... LOL

Costello once told Abbott that he would only marry an ugly girl. Abbott asked why. Costello said, "Because a pretty girl might find a better looking guy and leave him." Abbott said, "An ugly girl could also leave you."  Costello, "Yeah, but who cares?"
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimmyz on March 29, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
You think so?  If only real life was like the printed word.  Cut and dry.  Suuuuure they both wanted it.  The rest of what you wrote is just based on what you declared as given.

Have you ever met people in an open marriage before?  I have.  My sample size is only two couples (though I would guess this is far more than most people have encountered in their lives) and in both cases I got the sense that one of them wanted it more than the other and that the latter merely agreed to it more than wanted it themselves.

You can say "clearly" this and that but you just never know.

And if you dont know how one incident can lead up to a completely unrelated incident....then that renders anyone on this message board who has ever apologized for bad forum behavior with the explanation that "things have been stressful in my life lately" as an excuse maker.   I don't think that's fair?  Do you?  Besides, what need is there for a logical connection when we're talking about irrational behavior?  One can have a string of unconnected bad incidents that trigger some strange misdirected retaliation. 

On a side note, reading through this thread, I can tell you guys are in full on draft geek mode as the analysis of this incident is rife with deep dive pin point hawk eyed looks into tells and body language.  Some of you guys were born with calculators in your diapers.

The only thing I said "clearly" about was my statement that Smith is a volatile person prone to violent outbursts. I would say that is pretty clear, so I'll stand by that one.

True that we "just never know" about people, but bear in mind I am of the pretty simple view that Smith flipped out when he saw his wife's reaction to a joke about her bald head. I am not the one trying to tie it into all of these tangential marital details neither of us know much about. It is perplexing that after going on all these tangents you would accuse others of being in "draft geek mode" trying to read into this in an overly complex way. I think my take on it has been pretty straightforward.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 29, 2022, 04:09:37 PM
Costello once told Abbott that he would only marry an ugly girl. Abbott asked why. Costello said, "Because a pretty girl might find a better looking guy and leave him." Abbott said, "An ugly girl could also leave you."  Costello, "Yeah, but who cares?"

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jimmyz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 04:20:33 PM
The only thing I said "clearly" about was my statement that Smith is a volatile person prone to violent outbursts. I would say that is pretty clear, so I'll stand by that one.

True that we "just never know" about people, but bear in mind I am of the pretty simple view that Smith flipped out when he saw his wife's reaction to a joke about her bald head. I am not the one trying to tie it into all of these tangential marital details neither of us know much about. It is perplexing that after going on all these tangents you would accuse others of being in "draft geek mode" trying to read into this in an overly complex way. I think my take on it has been pretty straightforward.

I'm just making the observation that people's personal lives are complex and that this outburst does not appear to have started and ended with Rock's bald joke.  You can pass judgement of Smith as a person if you want but I think we can condemn what we saw without necessarily having to add in the condemnation of the man.

The draft geek mode comment was directed at the full on film breakdown I'm seeing in this thread.  It is comical and directed at the thread overall and not you directly but you can take it personally if inclined; just dont slap me.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimmyz on March 29, 2022, 04:42:25 PM

I'm just making the observation that people's personal lives are complex and that this outburst does not appear to have started and ended with Rock's bald joke.  You can pass judgement of Smith as a person if you want but I think we can condemn what we saw without necessarily having to add in the condemnation of the man.

The draft geek mode comment was directed at the full on film breakdown I'm seeing in this thread.  It is comical and directed at the thread overall and not you directly but you can take it personally if inclined; just dont slap me.

Fair enough, all good, I respect your view.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2022, 12:18:46 PM
Daniel Jeremiah had an interesting take on this.  He figures Smith got caught by his wife laughing at Rock's joke so he had to sort of make things right
He is allowed to laugh just like his wife is allowed to bang other dudes. Only fair and right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 05:05:35 PM
Fair enough, all good, I respect your view.

BTW....I do condemn what Smith did.  Chris Rock did not deserve that.  And anyone suggesting Rock deserved it (apparently Twitter is ablaze with comments about how Smith did the right thing) might want to consider how it might be if Smith's open hand caught Rock's jaw in a certain way as to make Rock drop to the floor in a heap on national TV; maybe even fall head first.    Smith is very lucky no charges were pressed.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimmyz on March 29, 2022, 05:24:10 PM
BTW....I do condemn what Smith did.  Chris Rock did not deserve that.  And anyone suggesting Rock deserved it (apparently Twitter is ablaze with comments about how Smith did the right thing) might want to consider how it might be if Smith's open hand caught Rock's jaw in a certain way as to make Rock drop to the floor in a heap on national TV; maybe even fall head first.    Smith is very lucky no charges were pressed.

I had a similar thought myself. The reaction by security and the public in general might have been a lot stronger if the blow (which appeared to have considerable force) knocked Rock to the ground and the show had to pause or cut to commercial. Or if he had caught Rock in the nose and caused a substantial nosebleed. Etc. I agree that Smith is very lucky. Rock was a total professional and handled it literally as well as any human being could have under the circumstances. If he had handled it in a more normal human way, I think they might have decided to toss Will Smith out of the building.

T200

Quote from: jimmyz on March 29, 2022, 05:24:10 PM
Will is getting dragged as well. Shannon Sharpe did not mince any words.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4854221428034388&id=100003397374747

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

GordonGekko80

I'm pretty sure Will Smith has seen his wife cry many times over what was happening to her. Who knows how many ways he tried to console her, who knows how many times he failed. Maybe he had to remind her that she was beautiful and that she would always be beautiful, even without hair. Sorry if it seems too easy to judge a gesture like the one that took place at the Oscar ceremony while sitting behind a keyboard. Sorry if a husband loses his temper when someone laughs at his woman trying to make a petty and low irony about an illness, because yes, Will Smith's wife's is an illness. Violence is never to be justified, true, but violence is also verbal and the tongue can hurt exactly like a punch in the face.

Having said that, I have my wife also suffers a mental illness. If someone makes fun of her because of that I do exactly what Will Smith did. EXACTLY THAT.
Because nobody knows what we talk about day in and day out, how much time I spent and spend trying to understand her, trying to help her. Only she and I do.

I know I took a slightly different stance previously when the discussion started off, then I put myself into W Smith's shoes... and you know what? I understood.

DaveBrown74

Will Smith resigns from the Academy. His personal statement is in the below link.

Irrespective of anyone's views on the degree to which Smith deserves condemnation, if it wasn't clear already, I think by now we can all agree that this event definitely was not staged.

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1510026473381507073