News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

the most iconic American sandwiches

Started by LennG, May 31, 2022, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

NOW, to get back to serious business....... my family is from northeast PA, but after high school my mom (graduating at age 17 in 1938) moved to Philadelphia... that's where the good office jobs were pre-WWII....

During her five years there, she and her friends spend a good deal of time in Atlantic City... where (according to her, LOL) she became an expert on all things New Jersey.

So I have it from the highest possible source (who shortly will turn 101) that it is "Taylor pork roll" which, as you can see, is a combination of the two most-commonly-used names for that particular food item.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 04, 2022, 09:31:26 AM
Ed: I apologize if I ruined your joke, but I just deleted all the duplicate posts (before seeing the one with the punch line!).   Bob

There's a Tapatalk glitch where the post gets hung up and shows as not posting, so when I refresh it actually does post each time I refreshed it. So now I have to back out of the site and restart it to show it in fact did post. Just another Tapatalk issue along with the 40 emails I get every day when someone posts.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 04, 2022, 09:44:11 AM
There's a Tapatalk glitch where the post gets hung up and shows as not posting, so when I refresh it actually does post each time I refreshed it. So now I have to back out of the site and restart it to show it in fact did post. Just another Tapatalk issue along with the 40 emails I get every day when someone posts.

I see I'm also having it on my desktop.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Yeah, the response to "post" is really slow the last couple of days. I've wondered if it was my computer. I guess not  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Jolly: Me too. As you said, it's only the "Post" button.  In all other respects, IMO, the system seems to be working as usual.  Bob

jimv

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 04, 2022, 09:41:04 AM
NOW, to get back to serious business....... my family is from northeast PA, but after high school my mom (graduating at age 17 in 1938) moved to Philadelphia... that's where the good office jobs were pre-WWII....

During her five years there, she and her friends spend a good deal of time in Atlantic City... where (according to her, LOL) she became an expert on all things New Jersey.

So I have it from the highest possible source (who shortly will turn 101) that it is "Taylor pork roll" which, as you can see, is a combination of the two most-commonly-used names for that particular food item.

Bob

Bob, God Bless your Mother!!  101!  WOW!!!

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on May 31, 2022, 01:01:12 PM
Myself, I would have to say my all-time favorite sandwich is something you can only get at a Jewish Deli--Hot Pastrami on fresh rye bread with some great deli mustard. My own take on this is I add a nice scoop of sauerkraut on top of the pastrami. My mouth waters for this. AND there is a huge difference between the pastrami one gets at a Jewish deli compared to any other deli or supermarket.  Don't know why but there is.

Hi Lenn - one of my all-time favorites as well. Add a nice dill pickle to it and you have perfection.

I also like a good hot Reuben as well. I like my cold sandwiches as well. Paneri is a good go-to spot, so is Jersey Mike's, but get me into an old Italian deli where they have fresh Capicola ham and I'm happy as a camper.

My Polish heritage engrained in me a love for the sandwich from the old country - Zapiekanki. In a nutshell, it's an open-faced toasted sandwich that you can put just about anything you'd like. Try good old-fashioned kielbasa, sauerkraut, mustard or, if you're feeling for something lighter, try a cheese of your choice, green onion, cooked bacon bits, Polish mushroom and a seasoning/condiment of your choosing. Use a baguette for the bread or even French bread cut in half. Toast lightly and it makes for either a yummy snack, light lunch on the go or whatever your fancy is. I've actually integrated them as a staple of a diet I was on, about 20 years ago, and successfully dropped 65 pounds back in the day ... without the kielbasa and bacon, of course!

I also enjoy Panini, or pressed sandwiches, in the same manner as zapiekanki, with grilled chicken breast, fresh veggies and a small dab of olive oil and Italian herbs and spices. Great stuff!

Stopping now as I am getting hungry ...

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 04, 2022, 10:18:10 AM
Jolly: Me too. As you said, it's only the "Post" button.  In all other respects, IMO, the system seems to be working as usual.  Bob

I am not sure why this happening.  I am trying to figure it out
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Classic sandwiches that many people love but I have never liked:

1. PB&J: I didn't even like these as a kid. The idea of just a sandwich full of sugary mush is not appealing to me and never has been.

2. Egg salad: Just not a fan. I love eggs and I like things like tuna salad, but I just don't find egg salad appetizing for some reason.

3. Tuna melt: Just never found this combination appetizing, personally. Maybe it's the fact that fish and cheese seem incompatible to me, but for whatever reason I just don't like these.

4. Sloppy Joes. I'm not talking about the NJ version of sloppy joes with turkey and cole slaw. Those are good. I'm talking about the sloppy joe meat (ie hamburger helper) on a cheap, grocery store processed burger bun. I didn't mind these when I was a kid, but I would not want one today.

5. Stuffing french fries or potato chips into a normal sandwich: This grosses me out. However, there is one exception, and that is the Primanti Bros restaurant in Pittsburgh. They're famous for these types of sandwiches, and the sandwiches are iconic. I've had them before as I have been to a Giants/Steelers game in Pitt. I admit it was pretty darn good. But just doing this at home is kind of gross in my opinion.

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on May 31, 2022, 01:01:12 PM
Myself, I would have to say my all-time favorite sandwich is something you can only get at a Jewish Deli--Hot Pastrami on fresh rye bread with some great deli mustard. My own take on this is I add a nice scoop of sauerkraut on top of the pastrami. My mouth waters for this. AND there is a huge difference between the pastrami one gets at a Jewish deli compared to any other deli or supermarket.  Don't know why but there is.
Lenn: I know a lot of "argumentative" people (including a few right here!) but IMO none of them would ever argue with a hot pastrami on fresh rye w/mustard.  LOL  Bob

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 09, 2022, 12:59:30 PM

For anyone that likes, has liked or is looking to try some new variations, check this out

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/25-grown-up-versions-of-peanut-butter-and-jelly/ss-BB1fBlkO?bk=1&ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4d9ccfec47144d36b44da5e44e355431

The grilled one kinda looks appealing, at least to me.

For the most part, I wouldn't try any of them. Like you, the grilled one looks tempting as I usually toast my bread when I make a PJ&J. The other one that looks interesting is the PB&J Pancakes with confectioner sugar sprinkled on top. The rest...yuk  :sick:

Bill Brown

Being from Maine I will boast about our classic lobster roll. Fortunately for me I  don't really care for them because at a minimum of about 28.00 for one that would price me out of that market.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ps11yat14 on June 10, 2022, 06:26:22 AM
Being from Maine I will boast about our classic lobster roll. Fortunately for me I  don't really care for them because at a minimum of about 28.00 for one that would price me out of that market.

Bill

Wow - I would've thought that lobster rolls in Maine would be far less costly than places away from Maine. That really surprises me. 28 bucks seems awfully high. I don't think I've ever paid over 12 bucks for one in Boston or 15 dollars in New York. On the other hand, I haven't had one in a couple of years (maybe more thanks to Covid) and inflation is rampant  :-??

Bill Brown

Jolly. I saw this ad today for this restaurant. For people here in rural Maine it is thought of as a bit pricey but not an expensive restaurant. We have been there a few times. I find the price of the lobster outrageous but they will have no problem selling them

Bill

You cannot view this attachment.   
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."