News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

30 Things I learned growing up watching movies

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, June 06, 2022, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Had to revive this thread after watching a show last night

You can suffocate a person to death simply by putting a pillow over his head...LOL.

A plastic bag over the head and secured tightly around the neck, sure...a pillow, never happen unless the person is already 99% dead and you are actually sitting on the pillow. Even then I doubt it  :no:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

squibber

I'm surprised no one thought of this. If a woman is being chased by a killer or monster, she will trip and hurt her ankle.

If someone takes a shower, they will only wash from the waist up. Yuk.

LennG

Anyone coming out of a hotel in NYC and needing a taxi seems as soon as they wave their hand, magically one pulls up right there.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

One thing I often wondered about is when you see a woman fighting a man.  How often do you see women fighting a man who outweighs here by a hundred pounds or more and winning (sometimes easily).   I appreciate that training in hand-to-hand and martial arts can impart an advantage but I often wonder to what degree.  It's not like the men the women are fighting are completely clueless in terms of fighting. 

In your classic movie or TV street brawl (usually involving police or some sort of special agent or a spy), how much of an advantage can training be when you have a woman (who at her size might struggle to bench press 100 pounds) have against a man who can easily bench 300 or 400 pounds?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

One of the things I always cringe over, is watching the protagonist get the ever-livin crap beat out of him, taking hits that would knock out (if not put in a coma) ordinary tough men. Not once, but several times, only to find his way to come back and finish his attacker off. I never worry about the hero of the movie losing a fight, even if he takes more than 25 knockout blows and thrown onto a cement floor that crack open a head like a watermelon dropped on a sidewalk from a third story window. And the hero never loses a tooth or looks worse for the wear the following day

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 14, 2022, 12:04:38 PMOne thing I often wondered about is when you see a woman fighting a man.  How often do you see women fighting a man who outweighs here by a hundred pounds or more and winning (sometimes easily).   I appreciate that training in hand-to-hand and martial arts can impart an advantage but I often wonder to what degree.  It's not like the men the women are fighting are completely clueless in terms of fighting. 

In your classic movie or TV street brawl (usually involving police or some sort of special agent or a spy), how much of an advantage can training be when you have a woman (who at her size might struggle to bench press 100 pounds) have against a man who can easily bench 300 or 400 pounds?

Funny you should bring that up. I watched a show on ABC about 30 years ago in which people did amazing things. They had a woman (about 120 pounds) who had a black belt go up against a Golden Gloves boxer who was 6 inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier. They were in a typical boxing ring. At first, the woman spun around and high kicked at the guy's head, just missing his jaw. She tried several other wild spinning and high-flying moves, while the man carefully dodged all she came at him with. Then with his first move, he simply gave her a quick left jab to the jaw, and she went to the floor like a sack of potatoes and did not get back up. She was knocked unconscious. The fight took about 1 minute, if that. She looked really impressive, but couldn't hold up to a simple jab from a professional boxer. Not knocking her because I know I couldn't take a jab from a pro boxer in my best years

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 14, 2022, 12:15:06 PMFunny you should bring that up. I watched a show on ABC about 30 years ago in which people did amazing things. They had a woman (about 120 pounds) who had a black belt go up against a Golden Gloves boxer who was 6 inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier. They were in a typical boxing ring. At first, the woman spun around and high kicked at the guy's head, just missing his jaw. She tried several other wild spinning and high-flying moves, while the man carefully dodged all she came at him with. Then with his first move, he simply gave her a quick left jab to the jaw, and she went to the floor like a sack of potatoes and did not get back up. She was knocked unconscious. The fight took about 1 minute, if that. She looked really impressive, but couldn't hold up to a simple jab from a professional boxer. Not knocking her because I know I couldn't take a jab from a pro boxer in my best years

Thanks, I suspected that was how things would go.    This was under the controlled conditions of a staged match.   I have noticed in street fighting, there is often grappling and very close-quarters fighting where size and strength are kings.  Plus, most fighting competitions, from wrestling to boxing, usually involves weight classes.

That all said, I can remember one call where I was treating a man who was six foot plus and a good solid 250 who was killed by a petite woman who hit him in the head with an iron frying pan. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Don't know if this has been mentioned already but----------------

In any sort of action/adventure movie, be it a western, a war drama, a crime story, police story, if our hero, the star, has a buddy, you absolutely know this buddy is going to die somewhere in this movie. And then our hero goes on a mazing rout of the baddies and brings justice to all.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on December 14, 2022, 04:56:39 PMDon't know if this has been mentioned already but----------------

In any sort of action/adventure movie, be it a western, a war drama, a crime story, police story, if our hero, the star, has a buddy, you absolutely know this buddy is going to die somewhere in this movie. And then our hero goes on a mazing rout of the baddies and brings justice to all.

My first thought after reading this was "Roadhouse" with Patrick Swayze - best friend and mentor Sam Elliot gets killed and sets up a rampage for Swayze to wipe out all the bad guys

Goose dies in "Top Gun"

Bubba dies in Forrest Gump's arms

Groot dies in "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Spock dies in "Star Trek II - Wrath of Kahn"

off the top of my head

LennG

I was giving this some thought last night, discussing it with a friend and we came up with a few more 'goodies'

Shooting at a locked door and it always opens. In real life, this can never work

Whenever someone drives up to any address, even in a huge city, there is always a parking space right there

Especially in those old Kung Fu movies, they never attack the hero in force, it is always one at a time

Waking up, after a nightmare, gasping for air ??????????? Why, were you running in the nightmare?

Want to watch a certain thing on a VCR, or listen to a certain song on tape, rewind it and it always comes to that exact spot

Our hero needs some news, so he puts on the TV, and voila, that story is the one that is on right now.

So what about women--they fight, battle, run, and go out in the rain but their make-up never runs, or smears, and their hair, no matter what, is always perfect, even after that walk in the rain. 

Need a uniform for disguise, knock someone and that uniform will always fit perfectly

Remember those westerns where the horse sees a snake, rears up, and always throws the rider off in the direction of said snake

A soldier carrying a personal memento of a loved one, such as a jewelry or photo, has no chance of returning alive.

Giant mutant creatures always head for 'downtown' locations

Old men die of heart attacks and old women in their sleep.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I saw a show earlier that was actually "unmovie like"

To add to all the crazy things we see in movies....all you have to do to knock a guy out (no matter how big or strong) is to "pistol whip" him...instant out cold...LOL like when Wyatt Earp knocks a guy out with a quick hit to the back of the head in Tombstone

But I saw part of a movie yesterday where an idiot novice criminal wannabe, hit a guy in the back of the head to knock him out. But instead of falling out cold like every other movie, he said, "what the f.. man, that hurts". So the guy hit him in the back of the head again, and he said, "stop doing that, that hurts like a son of a b.."

That's how it would go in real life, except the guy getting hit in the head would probably beat the snot out of the idiot that hit him in the head with a gun thinking it knocks people out

weeze

There used to be this TV show called "Banachek" where the main character was a insurance investigator. Supposedly he was a multi millionaire from solving all the tuff ones that no one else could. He travelled around in either a Bently or a Rolls, Ive forgotten which. Wherever he went in Boston, the supposed location of the series, he parked right in front of whatever building he was going to, Just pulled right up to that curb and parked, in Boston. Did this constantly. If you ever have been to Boston have you ever seen a parking space that was not in use? Another big one for this was "McMillan and wife". and that location is even more unbelievable. Pulls up to the curb wherever he goes.In San Francisco. San Francisco's last unused parking space was in 1938 when George R. Cumquat grabbed a empty space and parked his Packard in it. He was never heard from again.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: weeze on January 03, 2023, 01:08:27 PMThere used to be this TV show called "Banachek" where the main character was a insurance investigator. Supposedly he was a multi millionaire from solving all the tuff ones that no one else could. He travelled around in either a Bently or a Rolls, Ive forgotten which. Wherever he went in Boston, the supposed location of the series, he parked right in front of whatever building he was going to, Just pulled right up to that curb and parked, in Boston. Did this constantly. If you ever have been to Boston have you ever seen a parking space that was not in use? Another big one for this was "McMillan and wife". and that location is even more unbelievable. Pulls up to the curb wherever he goes.In San Francisco. San Francisco's last unused parking space was in 1938 when George R. Cumquat grabbed a empty space and parked his Packard in it. He was never heard from again.

Been to Boston many times. I park outside the city (usually a hotel where I'm staying) and take the "T" into town. I've driven pretty much every city in America. Boston is a city I refuse to drive in, let alone pretend there's some place to park where you're going. Boston is absurd. They never widened the streets while building skyscrapers, blocks are triangular and all one-way so you can never get back to where you wanted and some of the streets are winding because they built paved roads around boulders and big trees that they used to go around when horses were the mode of travel  :crazy: 

San Francisco  :no:  :no:  :no:  taxi, bus, or trolly

squibber

I think of those fight scenes where the hero is laying on the ground and the bad guy is on top choking him. The hero is always within reach(just barely) of a hard object that he grabs and hits the bad guy in the head with. If it's a zombie, it's usually a sharp object that the hero grabs and pushes it through the zombie's skull.

squibber

Speaking of zombies, how come when someone is surrounded by zombies, they never juke or zig zag their way through them. How about a body check like in hockey sometimes. Haha