News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

30 Things I learned growing up watching movies

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, June 06, 2022, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Len's news one reminded me of another:

If there's someone wanted by law enforcement, that person goes into a bar and within a few seconds, his face appears on the news and someone at the bar makes the connection.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Just to continue on the "pistol whip" scenes in movies resulting in the immediate unconsciousness of the "hittee"...LOL

In this morning's news, a man pistol whipped a 57-year-old man in NYC demanding his property. Instead of falling to the ground out cold, the pistol whipped victim fought back and the guy with the gun ended up getting shot in the hand, sent to the hospital, and arrested. That is the most likely and realistic situation when someone pistol whips another guy. The guy pistol whipping the victim obviously has watched far too many movies and actually believes it's normal for people to immediately become unconscious

https://nypost.com/2023/01/07/would-be-thief-pistol-whips-man-in-harlem-cops/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

squibber

It seems like whenever you see someone walking in a parking garage, they either get beat up or killed.

LennG

In a shoot-out, the bad guy usually has more than the alloted 6 bullets and when he finally does run out of bullets, he will ALWAYS throw the gun at the good guy who ALWAYS ducks out of the way and never then shoots the bad guy. He will always end up in a fight with the baddie.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Every movie or tv show in which firearms are used, the guy always takes his handgun and shoves it in the back of his pants...what a laugh. I own a variety of handguns and have a holster for each one, even if it's just a nylon sheath to keep it from falling through my pants. If I was to put a gun in the back of my pants, it would take about 10 seconds of walking or running before the gun slid down my pants and was now resting in my crotch...something I would never want in a million years. But in movies, guys do it all the time like it's nothing..."dohhh...I'll just stick this ole handgun in the back of my pants and then run around til it goes off and blows my nuts off"

I laugh every time I see it on TV

squibber

Whenever someone points a gun at someone and the gun holder gets too close to who he is pointing the gun at, you know most of the time the unarmed person is going to disarm the gun holder.

LennG

Glad this was brought back as I was thinking of this the other day.

I had a few 'older' movies on the DVR and decided to watch and you know what several things seem to always occur. I don't know if they were mentioned already but here is what I saw

In ANY war type of movie, if a guy takes out a pix of his family, he is a goner. ALWAYS. Never carry a pix of your sweetheart, wife, mother, or kids. If you do and show it to even one person, you are dead.

In any of those crime dramas, either the good guy or the bad guy can disable or completely knock out someone with a karate chop anywhere from the neck up.

If the good guy is trying to hide something like microfilm he will put it in a place where they are sure to find it with minimal effort.

And especially in those movies from the 40s, no matter what the genre, when everyone wore hats, no matter what, fight, fall down stairs, and even in the movie I just saw, jumping off a moving train, that darn hat will never fall from their head.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

To add on to what Lenn said, "if the protagonist in the movie has a loved one (wife, daughter, etc.), the antagonist in the movie will kidnap her as a last resort to defeat the good guy. Like in "True Lies" and the bad guy finds out "Harry" (Arnold Schwarzenegger) has a daughter...great movie BTW. This plot happens to Liam Neeson all the time...LOL

Storal of the morey: Don't be a hero and go after really bad guys if you have loved ones - that is your Achilles heel! And every movie exploits that little scenario. You know it's going to happen the first time the hero pulls out a picture of a loved one he misses back home