News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting (or perhaps I should say amazing) Scientific Fact

Started by Bob In PA, June 11, 2022, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

[practicing using the new system] 

Before reading this post, how many of you were aware that...

TWO-THIRDS of all of the people in the entire history of the human race who lived past age 65... are alive right now... today?

Bob

PS. Was going to put this on the main board but it's not Giants talk.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

That doesn't surprise me at all. As a long time genealogist I came to recognize that nearly all my ancestors were dead before they turned 65. In fact, most of them didn't reach 60. And my research goes back to about the early 1600's and I know things weren't better before 1600. Until the 1900's and the exponential growth in biology, medical care, and understanding diseases, life was pretty short
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I would have never guessed that myself. Very surprising.

Ed Vette

Prove it, Bob. 108,000,000,000 estimated who have lived over time. About 550 million are 65 or older today. That means that 366 million out of 101 Billion lived to be 65 and older.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 11, 2022, 03:46:21 PM[practicing using the new system] 

Before reading this post, how many of you were aware that...

TWO-THIRDS of all of the people in the entire history of the human race who lived past age 65... are alive right now... today?

Bob

Most of them are on BBH

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jimmyz

Not a surprise at all Bob. It is amazing though.

In almost all industrialized and westernized nations from Europe to the US to the industrialized Asian nations such as China, S Korea and Japan the population is moving towards an aging one.  Even in India, the birth rate is beginning to decline.  In the East Asian countries in particular, they will have undergone a rapid population growth rate inversion over the course of the last few decades that was much more gradual in the western nations.  It mirrors the fact those countries have converted from almost entirely agricultural to industrialized overnight.

Since the boomer generation, each generation is having less and less children.  The current population growth paradigm is in large part due to people living longer at a faster rate; certainly not because the rate of child bearing is growing. 

There are going to be some economic ramifications to this when you consider consumption vs investment habits of the various age brackets.

Conventional wisdom has solidified around a very loud minority that have made the claim our population is growing at astronomical and unsustainable rates.   But for those who look deeply, you should be seeing an eventual population collapse and in some countries, that eventuality is coming faster than anyone knows.  They say that when it comes to population changes, they happen at two speeds; glacial and lightning fast. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."