News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: 2022-23 NY Rangers Season Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, June 30, 2022, 06:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on July 13, 2022, 01:00:14 PMTrocheck is fine but the term isn't great for a 29 year old. Also, they now have $65M committed to 11 players for the 23-24 season without contracts for Kakko, Laf, Chytil and Miller. Either the cap goes up significantly or they need to move a contract (Trouba?).

That's more or less my take as well. Would have preferred a lesser term but for an established 2nd line center the AAV isn't awful. I kind of like Trocheck as a player too. He's obviously not Miller or even Kadri, but he's definitely an upgrade over Strome IMO.

They're going to need to move someone among the vets, as you note. Not sure who or how? Panarin seems like the logical choice as they have a glut of right wingers and I'd like to see Laffy in the top 6, but that's not going to be easy and I'm not sure they want to anyway. Trouba would be great to move as they have a lot of young defensemen and his contract sticks out.

Will they move anyone this year though? As of this moment, it seems like they can just go into the season with everyone they have and vie for a cup.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 13, 2022, 01:12:19 PMThat's more or less my take as well. Would have preferred a lesser term but for an established 2nd line center the AAV isn't awful. I kind of like Trocheck as a player too. He's obviously not Miller or even Kadri, but he's definitely an upgrade over Strome IMO.

They're going to need to move someone among the vets, as you note. Not sure who or how? Panarin seems like the logical choice as they have a glut of right wingers and I'd like to see Laffy in the top 6, but that's not going to be easy and I'm not sure they want to anyway. Trouba would be great to move as they have a lot of young defensemen and his contract sticks out.

Will they move anyone this year though? As of this moment, it seems like they can just go into the season with everyone they have and vie for a cup.

I like the move as it shows they're ready to go for it after last season's run.  Trouba is probably going to be gone after this season in order to sign some of those kids as you mention but for this year it seems they are all in.  Trochek is a very solid player that is likely to improve his offense when playing next to a playmaker like Panarin, plays well defensively and at the faceoff circle. All of those things they were lacking in the playoffs.   

Blue Fire

Trocheck fits like a glove for what GG wants to do and is a huge upgrade on Strome. The deal was interestingly structured as well. Think it was a savvy move by Drury. Of all the guys that left Vatrano Strome and Copp he is better than all of them and a better fit for GGs system.

You expect growth on the players who development arc is still growing like Schneider Miller Kakko and Laffy.

You might get Kravstov , Culle or Othmann to make the team next year.

Trocheck might be a big boon for Panarin's game in this system.

We also get Blais back next year...

And there is a chance Drury may have another trick up his sleeve.

Perhaps something like this

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Trochek-Kravtsov/Blais
Lafreniere-Chytil-Othmann/Kravstov
Goodrow-Rydahl-Reaves

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones/Robertson-Schneider
Hajek/Emberson

Igor
Halak

Not too bad folks and a Stanley Cup contender...

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

nb587

Who is Rydahl and how did they get him?  I missed that

Blue Fire

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

I'd love to see one of Kravtsov or Othmann make the jump next year and actually be somewhat effective. Of the two, Kravtsov is clearly more experienced at the professional level, but I don't know what the latest is with him and all his BS with the team and whether all of that is salvageable. If it is, he makes the most sense, given he is a RW and Othmann is a LW. Right now, we have too many LWs as it is (can't even get Laffy top six minutes), and we have no right wings with any offensive ability other than Kaako, who hasn't exactly lit it up.

Jaime

Some Cap news. Copp's new contract with Detroit is eqivocal to Trocheck's deal just five years to Trocheck's seven. So a wash of sorts there.
We freed up Strome's 4.5 Mil salary  by letting him walk.
We traded that bust (one of Drury's few bad moves) of a D Patrick Nemeth. We dumped his 2.5 Mil salary, but it cost us a 2nd Rd pick, ouch.
We let Vatrano walk, saving us his 2.6 Mil salary.
But some bad news is we still owe 3.4 Mil in dead cap space buyout payment to Girardi, De Angelo, and Shattenkirk .
So, we have 6.2 Mil of Cap space going forward.
I probably missed something, so let me know Mates.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jaime on July 14, 2022, 11:10:20 PMSome Cap news. Copp's new contract with Detroit is eqivocal to Trocheck's deal just five years to Trocheck's seven. So a wash of sorts there.
We traded that bust (one of Drury's few bad moves) of a D Patrick Nemeth. We dumped his 2.5 Mil salary, but it cost us a 2nd Rd pick, ouch.
But some bad news is we still owe 3.4 Mil in dead cap space buyout payment to Girardi, De Angelo, and Shattenkirk .

Good summary. I actually see about $4.8mm of cap space on Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/

The only remaining thing the Rangers need to do is sign Kakko, which I understand is expected to be a two year deal in the $2m-$2.5m range. So that would leave them with $2m and change going into the season. Since cap space compounds during the season, my understanding is this would mean we would have $9m-$10m to work with at the trade deadline when rental season approaches. Here is a solid article from Brooksy that talks about that.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/14/chris-drury-needs-to-give-rangers-cushion-for-deadline-deals/

nb587

Is Motte out of the picture here?  I think added alot. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on July 15, 2022, 08:48:15 AMIs Motte out of the picture here?  I think added alot. 

Looks highly doubtful. This is from an article in ForeverBlueShirts that came out yesterday:

"GM Chris Drury held a press conference yesterday to discuss the team's moves. When asked about Tyler Motte, he answered that signing him would be too tight."

Furthermore, we know they still need to sign Kakko, and that will leave them with about $2m-$3m only in cap space. That wouldn't be enough to get Motte even if they were going to max themselves completely out, but we know they won't do that because they want to leave something to compound for later season rentals.

So Motte looks almost definitely out. It's too bad as I like him too, but it just doesn't seem like they can squeeze him in, and there was no way they were going to prioritize him over someone like Trocheck.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Jaime on July 14, 2022, 11:10:20 PMSome Cap news. Copp's new contract with Detroit is eqivocal to Trocheck's deal just five years to Trocheck's seven. So a wash of sorts there.

Trocheck is a much better fit to what GG wants to do and has had success under him already in his system.

coggs

Trocheck is a lot better than Strome and Copp.  He will actually drive the net which should open things up for Panarin. 

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 14, 2022, 07:58:29 AMI'd love to see one of Kravtsov or Othmann make the jump next year and actually be somewhat effective. Of the two, Kravtsov is clearly more experienced at the professional level, but I don't know what the latest is with him and all his BS with the team and whether all of that is salvageable. If it is, he makes the most sense, given he is a RW and Othmann is a LW. Right now, we have too many LWs as it is (can't even get Laffy top six minutes), and we have no right wings with any offensive ability other than Kaako, who hasn't exactly lit it up.

Kravtsov is supposed to be in camp, and he has a 1-way deal.  If he plays well, he will make the team.  Othmann is in that unfortunate spot.  Too good for Jrs, ineligible for AHL, and probably won't make the NHL club.  Would probably be better off playing in Europe this year, he played in Switzerland the year OHL shutdown due to the pandemic, but no idea if the agreement between the CHL and NHL allows it.

I am not big on labeling lines as "1st, 2nd, 3rd", etc.  I am all about the chemistry and in an ideal world your best 9 forwards get equal ice-time.  Top-12 would be nice, but if that happens it usually means you just can't score.  Anyways, would love to start the season with kid line intact.  Kreider and Zibanejad will be together.  Panarin and Trocheck.  Assuming Kravtsov will play with one of them and Blais with the other.

Jaime

Checkout Blais's career stats. For my money, he strikes me as strictly a bottom six guy. And his stats surprised me with all the buzz regarding his 1st Line deployment.
For all his immature bluster, Kravtsov really calmed down big time. Drury was in regular contact, and reportedly spoke to Kravtsov at length before he left to play in the KHL. He signed a one year prove it deal for 875 K(?).
Would think the Swedish Center age 26 (forget his name?) will replace Braydon Hunt on the Roster.