News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Around the NFL thread

Started by DaveBrown74, July 28, 2022, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 28, 2022, 06:16:08 PMWashington commanders camp at 11am.
Pick a stupid name, get stupid results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1552824557941186563

Quote"After seeing the distraction it created, we removed the addendum from the contract," the team said in a statement. "It was clearly perceived in ways that were never intended. Our confidence in Kyler Murray is as high as it's ever been and nothing demonstrates our belief in his ability to lead this team more than the commitment reflected in this contract."

PFT has confirmed that the change was made on Wednesday. It's odd, frankly, that Murray would conduct an unscheduled press conference with reporters on Thursday for the purposes of complaining about a clause that no longer exists.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/28/cardinals-remove-homework-clause-from-kyler-murray-contract/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

MG,

I found it odd that Murray took umbrage to the public reaction and called it disrespectful to question his dedication, when in fact the offense he took really should have been to the Cardinals for making him agree first place to the study hours provision in a contract. Given all the blowback, I am not surprised they removed that from the contract. The whole thing just looked bad.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 29, 2022, 07:04:10 AMMG,

I found it odd that Murray took umbrage to the public reaction and called it disrespectful to question his dedication, when in fact the offense he took really should have been to the Cardinals for making him agree first place to the study hours provision in a contract. Given all the blowback, I am not surprised they removed that from the contract. The whole thing just looked bad.

DB,

Prior to all the play the clause got, I have to think both sides agreed that it was a reasonable request.   It's not like Murray hasn't made comments in the past about not needing to put a lot of time into film study.  I agree, though, that the Cards do not look to be a well-run organization, as this whole controversy was pretty easy to anticipate.  Plus, what type of team signs a player they don't trust to put in the work to such a huge contract?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 29, 2022, 07:19:08 AMDB,

Prior to all the play the clause got, I have to think both sides agreed that it was a reasonable request.   It's not like Murray hasn't made comments in the past about not needing to put a lot of time into film study.  I agree, though, that the Cards do not look to be a well-run organization, as this whole controversy was pretty easy to anticipate.  Plus, what type of team signs a player they don't trust to put in the work to such a huge contract?

All agreed. I think you're right that the two sides were ok with this prior to it going public, and the removal of the clause as well as Murray's comments the other day were 100% down to public reaction. I think we both agree that the public's reaction was reasonable. I don't think either Murray or the Cardinals look great here, although the latter looks worse. Either you trust the guy or you don't. If you do, then why was the clause there? If you don't, then why are you handing him one of the biggest contracts in the sport?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 29, 2022, 07:22:32 AMAll agreed. I think you're right that the two sides were ok with this prior to it going public, and the removal of the clause as well as Murray's comments the other day were 100% down to public reaction. I think we both agree that the public's reaction was reasonable. I don't think either Murray or the Cardinals look great here, although the latter looks worse. Either you trust the guy or you don't. If you do, then why was the clause there? If you don't, then why are you handing him one of the biggest contracts in the sport?

Not intended to defend the Cards, but I think part of the issue is that rule changes and evolution of the sport may have put too much emphasis on one position in a sport where there are 22 players on the field at any given time.

If I were on the competition committee I think I would be looking for ways to try and bring a little more balance and encourage more rushing, which would help to balance things out a bit.   I mean passing may bring the excitement but at the pace the NFL is going, they risk becoming the NBA where a handful of players have more power than the owners. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 29, 2022, 07:27:24 AMNot intended to defend the Cards, but I think part of the issue is that rule changes and evolution of the sport may have put too much emphasis on one position in a sport where there are 22 players on the field at any given time.

If I were on the competition committee I think I would be looking for ways to try and bring a little more balance and encourage more rushing, which would help to balance things out a bit.   I mean passing may bring the excitement but at the pace the NFL is going, they risk becoming the NBA where a handful of players have more power than the owners. 

Interesting point. How would you do that though? I don't think anyone wants sweeping rule changes or ramping up penalties in any way (if anything people want the opposite of that).

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 29, 2022, 07:27:24 AMNot intended to defend the Cards, but I think part of the issue is that rule changes and evolution of the sport may have put too much emphasis on one position in a sport where there are 22 players on the field at any given time.

The owners need to finally get on the same page and stop trying to one up each other!

These contracts have gotten out of hand. 

When these guys threaten not to sign deals and hold out the rest of the NFL has to band together and refuse to sign them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 29, 2022, 07:31:13 AMInteresting point. How would you do that though? I don't think anyone wants sweeping rule changes or ramping up penalties in any way (if anything people want the opposite of that).

To be frank, I don't have the answers.  I mean I think one thing would be to ease up on enforcement of offensive holding on running plays.  In the 80s and 90s, it seemed like holding on running plays was very rare, not like today.  I think in general you want to tweak the rules to reward and reduce the risk of rushes while making passing plays a little riskier. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1555436832590110721

Sounds like he has a rough case of elbow tendonitis in his throwing arm. Stafford has had elbow issues before, but early August is not a promising time to already be having this type of issue. The Rams do not have much in the way of a QB room outside of Stafford. It would be far from ideal if he were to have elbow issues that lingered into the season.

I think this potential problem further underscores just how wide open the NFC is this year. I actually won't be 100% shocked if the 7 seed in the NFC is 8-9 this year. I'm not saying that's likely, but there really aren't many clear-cut top contending teams after the top two or three.

DaveBrown74

I was on record as not wanting Travon Walker either fifth or seventh overall due to his lack of production in college making him a risky pick at the top of the draft. It looks like he had a good game last night however, for whatever that is worth. Here are the WalterFootball notes on his outing:

The most prominent rookie on the field was the first one chosen this past April. Travon Walker was electric as a pass rusher in this contest. He put plenty of pressure on Jaguars quarterback Jarrett Stidham, recording one sack in the opening quarter. He was also flagged for a roughing-the-passer penalty on the first drive, but that was a baffling call because Walker seemingly did nothing wrong.

Whether we wanted him on the Giants or not is obviously moot, since he went first overall, but I will definitely be interested to see how he stacks up against Thibodeaux both this year and over the next 2-3 seasons.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 05, 2022, 02:40:11 AMhttps://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1555436832590110721

Sounds like he has a rough case of elbow tendonitis in his throwing arm. Stafford has had elbow issues before, but early August is not a promising time to already be having this type of issue. The Rams do not have much in the way of a QB room outside of Stafford. It would be far from ideal if he were to have elbow issues that lingered into the season.

I think this potential problem further underscores just how wide open the NFC is this year. I actually won't be 100% shocked if the 7 seed in the NFC is 8-9 this year. I'm not saying that's likely, but there really aren't many clear-cut top contending teams after the top two or three.

If Stafford's season is ruined (and perhaps beyond), it does make the value of the trade an interesting question.  Does winning one Super Bowl justify the trade if that's all they get from Stafford?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE