News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Around the NFL thread

Started by DaveBrown74, July 28, 2022, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 05, 2022, 06:23:01 AMI was on record as not wanting Travon Walker either fifth or seventh overall due to his lack of production in college making him a risky pick at the top of the draft. It looks like he had a good game last night however, for whatever that is worth. Here are the WalterFootball notes on his outing:

The most prominent rookie on the field was the first one chosen this past April. Travon Walker was electric as a pass rusher in this contest. He put plenty of pressure on Jaguars quarterback Jarrett Stidham, recording one sack in the opening quarter. He was also flagged for a roughing-the-passer penalty on the first drive, but that was a baffling call because Walker seemingly did nothing wrong.

Whether we wanted him on the Giants or not is obviously moot, since he went first overall, but I will definitely be interested to see how he stacks up against Thibodeaux both this year and over the next 2-3 seasons.

I think if one wants to continue to improve their player assessments, they can never admit that they were wrong about a player and then figure out why.   You do that, and you get better.  Yet far too often, I find that people (including those in the NFL) will simply cling to their assessment and try every biased trick in the book rather, which leaves one's abilities stagnated or perhaps getting worse
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

How he stacks up to Thibs is irrelevant as the Giants had no chance to get him unless they traded to get him.

Actually the only way it is relevant is for the Jags.  If Thibs is a better player then they blundered!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on August 05, 2022, 08:16:34 AMHow he stacks up to Thibs is irrelevant as the Giants had no chance to get him unless they traded to get him.

Actually the only way it is relevant is for the Jags.  If Thibs is a better player then they blundered!

I agree; it's not like the Giants had a choice.  Still, I wasn't high on Walker.  So if he proves to be the real deal, I will try and figure out what assumption I made that was faulty and led to the incorrect assessment. 

It's similar to Micah Parsons, I wasn't high on him for character concerns.  In that case, I am not completely sure that I was wrong not to want the Giants to draft him.  I mean, the Cowboys are the best team in the league when it comes to managing players of questionable character.  The Giants, not so much.  So just because Parsons excelled with the Cowboys doesn't mean the same thing would have happened if the Giants had drafted him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 28, 2022, 10:22:11 PMEli Apple... midseason form!

https://twitter.com/DanielJonesMVP/status/1552795146516840450

To be fair, he is covering the Bengals receivers no worse than anyone else did last season.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2022, 08:07:42 AMIf Stafford's season is ruined (and perhaps beyond), it does make the value of the trade an interesting question.  Does winning one Super Bowl justify the trade if that's all they get from Stafford?

For me personally, yes it was. Especially if Stafford only has one injury-plagued season. As of right now, there is no mention that he'll even miss a game.

A single Super Bowl is worth a ton to me. I would give up a lot to just get a single one.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 05, 2022, 11:01:03 AMFor me personally, yes it was. Especially if Stafford only has one injury-plagued season. As of right now, there is no mention that he'll even miss a game.

A single Super Bowl is worth a ton to me. I would give up a lot to just get a single one.

My two thoughts on Stafford.

1)  he has been injury prone most of his career, so I think any issue is more of a concern

2) Elbow tendinitis is uncommon in QBs, and from what I hear, he has a pretty bad case.  While they haven't talked about missing games, I would be surprised if he doesn't miss significant time.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2022, 11:04:11 AMMy two thoughts on Stafford.

1)  he has been injury prone most of his career, so I think any issue is more of a concern

2) Elbow tendinitis is uncommon in QBs, and from what I hear, he has a pretty bad case.  While they haven't talked about missing games, I would be surprised if he doesn't miss significant time.

Yup, it certainly doesn't sound great. We'll have to see what happens. The Rams have lost some key players anyway, so I don't regard them as the favorites in the NFC even with a healthy Stafford, but they're clearly still one of the best teams in the conference if he's playing, and I believe they have the best coach who has helped find ways to win lots of games both before and after Stafford got there.

MightyGiants

Here is a great link providing streaming news coming out of all the training camps

https://www.the33rdteam.com/news/nfl-training-camp-notes-2/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on August 05, 2022, 08:16:34 AMHow he stacks up to Thibs is irrelevant as the Giants had no chance to get him unless they traded to get him.

I'm more just interested to see how he stacks up against Thibs as a football fan in general. Going into the draft, both of these players were very hyped. I get that the Giants could only draft one of them - that was not really my point. More just that purely as a fan of this sport I'm curious about which one ends up being better. I have been way more of a Thibodeaux guy since before we drafted him, and obviously I am now, but like anyone else I certainly cannot rule out that Walker will end up being better. Many people think he will be. Just because the Giants didn't have a choice does not mean it's not an interesting comparison to follow over the coming years (in my opinion). I am presently of the opinion that we got the better player, but no question that view could end up being wrong. It's also clearly possible that there will be at least one better pass rusher who was drafted after Thibodeaux.

AYM

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2022, 08:32:31 AMI agree; it's not like the Giants had a choice.  Still, I wasn't high on Walker.  So if he proves to be the real deal, I will try and figure out what assumption I made that was faulty and led to the incorrect assessment. 

It's similar to Micah Parsons, I wasn't high on him for character concerns.  In that case, I am not completely sure that I was wrong not to want the Giants to draft him.  I mean, the Cowboys are the best team in the league when it comes to managing players of questionable character.  The Giants, not so much.  So just because Parsons excelled with the Cowboys doesn't mean the same thing would have happened if the Giants had drafted him.

Let's be clear, the Cowboys traded down and then drafted Parsons. If they knew Parsons would be what he became, there's no way they would've done that.

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2022, 08:07:42 AMIf Stafford's season is ruined (and perhaps beyond), it does make the value of the trade an interesting question.  Does winning one Super Bowl justify the trade if that's all they get from Stafford?

That is the goal of every team. They put all their ships into the pot and came out a winner. How many other teams have made moves like that and never won anything.

I think stafford could stink for the rest of his career and still the trade was worth it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Mike Evans had a lower body injury yesterday that may be a tweaked hammy. This guy has battled through injuries throughout his career and has managed to remain consistently productive no matter who his QB has been, but with Godwin still nursing his ACL recovery, if they were to have to play games with both of these guys either out or materially below 100%, and with Gronk gone and Fournette seemingly fat and happy after signing his contract, Tom Brady could all of a sudden find himself lacking real weapons to distribute the ball to. Obviously we're not there yet and both Evans and Godwin could end up being just fine come early September, but this is definitely something to watch. Keep in mind they also lost Jensen, Brady's highly trusted OC, so this team has some issues to be concerned about for sure despite being consistently regarded as one of the top teams in the league.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-new-york-giants-wr-kadarius-toney-darius-slayton-rumor-camp-dak-prescott-ceedee-lamb

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/could-cowboys-be-eyeing-giants-receiver-pipeline

Could Dallas want Slay? Or is this a writers wants?

I couldn't see the Giants trading with Dallas personally.  Or could they?

Dallas is in some WR trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE