News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Binghamton University gets HUGE windfall for Lithium Battery development

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, September 03, 2022, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

As an alumni of Binghamton University, I am glad to see it becoming a major education center for new green enviro-technologies to go along with their already established leading micro-electronics technology center

A couple of days ago, BU won a 63 million dollar grant from the Build Back Better bill, a windfall passed through Congress and President Biden and the largest amount awarded in the U.S. to any single project. New York State also threw in 50 Million to jump start the development of making Binghamton the leading hub of lithium technology

One of BU's professors (Dr Stanley Whittingham, who won the 2019 Nobel prize winner in chemistry for his role in developing the lithium-ion battery) spear headed the program vying for monies to make Binghamton the lithium center for the U.S. As of now, the only lithium battery manufacturing in the country is in Binghamton at a company called iM3NY Corporation that was started with the encouragement of Whittingham who has developed courses at BU to educate students in the technology. He wants Binghamton to become the Lithium Hub of education, technology, and manufacturing in the Western Hemisphere so as not to be completely dependent on China

The original IBM manufacturing plant that was the birthplace and headquarters of IBM for more than half a century is basically a ghost town of a plaza of empty buildings that used to employ over 20,000 workers. The goal is to make it the premier lithium manufacturing facility in the world. Hopefully, the end result of this project lives up to the hype. Great news for the community as well as another feather in the cap of Binghamton University that has the goal of being one of the top universities in the country in green technologies as well as micro-electronics
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Excellent news, this should help your local economy as well. It would be great if, when I visit my long time home in the Triple Cities, I don't leave feeling depressed.