News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I got my COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent booster yesterday

Started by MightyGiants, September 10, 2022, 12:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on September 30, 2022, 08:02:24 PMWe got our new booster today, Moderna. As of now, just have some sore arms.

My wife was speaking to her cousin who sort of insisted that these shots need to go into your right arm and not the left. (we did left arms).

Any theory to this?

Len,

That is the first time I have heard this theory.   From a medical and scientific perspective, the choice of the arm makes no difference.  It's just a matter of preference (in terms of which arm may be sore). 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

I remember once hearing that it's best to get your shots in your dominant arm. Reason being the additional arm movement will lead to a quicker disbursement of any pain and discomfort. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that however.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on October 01, 2022, 12:01:10 PMI remember once hearing that it's best to get your shots in your dominant arm. Reason being the additional arm movement will lead to a quicker disbursement of any pain and discomfort. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that however.

I was just reporting someone's theory. I never heard it either, but what
Steve says, makes sense.

BTW, last reported just arm pain. That was short-sighted. Around 11, I started getting chills and basically felt every muscle in my body was hurting. Took some Tylenol, and went to bed, but slept on and off most of the nights.
About 5 AM woke up soaked in sweat, took a couple more Tylenol, and now feel fine. tough night but it was worth it for the new protection.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on October 01, 2022, 12:01:10 PMI remember once hearing that it's best to get your shots in your dominant arm. Reason being the additional arm movement will lead to a quicker disbursement of any pain and discomfort. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that however.

I was told two things to help with vaccines.  Frequently move the arm you got the shot in and be well hydrated before and after the shot
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Unfortunately the Florida government is pro-Covid.   They have literally killed thousands of Americans with their weckless anti-science policies.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 08, 2022, 12:17:44 PMInteresting:

https://twitter.com/ikwilson/status/1578539632484311041
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Interestingly, despite the narrative that Florida has recklessly killed off its own citizens by being less aggressive with covid restrictions, their covid deaths per capita are lower than states like New Jersey and Michigan despite having a higher median age (ie higher percentage of covid-vulnerable people) than those states. They're also only marginally worse than NY and Pennsylvania.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

You'd think if their policies were as reckless as the media portrays them and the more restrictive blue states up north are the ones saving the most lives, it would show up more in the actual hard data. For some reason it hasn't though.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 08, 2022, 03:38:46 PMInterestingly, despite the narrative that Florida has recklessly killed off its own citizens by being less aggressive with covid restrictions, their covid deaths per capita are lower than states like New Jersey and Michigan despite having a higher median age (ie higher percentage of covid-vulnerable people) than those states. They're also only marginally worse than NY and Pennsylvania.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

You'd think if their policies were as reckless as the media portrays them and the more restrictive blue states up north are the ones saving the most lives, it would show up more in the actual hard data. For some reason it hasn't though.

If you cared about the truth and learning reality,  you would have considered that NJ was one of the first states hit.  At that time, there was little known about the disease; there was a massive shortage of PPE and cleaning products.  By the time it hit Florida, there were more PPE and supplies and knowledge about the disease.  Florida is also warmer, which allows for more things to be done outdoors.  There is also the issue where a densely populated state will fair worse with an air-borne disease.  I am not playing the game that so many play, where they push false or misleading claims, and I waste massive amounts of time disputing those claims.  I told the truth about what went on and if you don't like it and want to make false claims to deny it, so be it.  I am not being sucked down this rabbit hole.  If you want to go around claiming that putting self-serving political agendas ahead of science, medicine, and public health is a good idea, go right ahead.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMIf you cared about the truth and learning reality,  you would have considered that NJ was one of the first states hit.  At that time, there was little known about the disease; there was a massive shortage of PPE and cleaning products.  By the time it hit Florida, there were more PPE and supplies and knowledge about the disease.  Florida is also warmer, which allows for more things to be done outdoors.  There is also the issue where a densely populated state will fair worse with an air-borne disease.  I am not playing the game that so many play, where they push false or misleading claims, and I waste massive amounts of time disputing those claims.  I told the truth about what went on and if you don't like it and want to make false or misleading claims to deny it, so be it.  I am not being sucked down this rabbit hole.  If you want to go around claiming that putting self-serving political agendas ahead of science, medicine, and public health is a good idea, go right ahead.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMClearly, you prefer your narrative over the truth. 

Not really. I was looking at the actual numbers and just noting that it's interesting that the state's per capita deaths don't seem to support the narrative you put out, which was that Florida is recklessly killing its own citizens.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMFlorida is also warmer, which allows for more things to be done outdoors.

That is really only half true. It is certainly true during the cooler months. However, I am not sure if you have been to Florida between May and October recently. During these months, people actually tend to remain indoors (home and in social activities) due to the intense heat and humidity.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMThere is also the issue where a densely populated state will fair worse with an air-borne disease.

True in general, although as it turns out Florida is quite a population-dense state at 8th in the country:

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMI am not playing the game that so many play, where they push false or misleading claims, and I waste massive amounts of time disputing those claims. 

Great. I am not playing any game either. I merely brought up some hard data that I thought was interesting given your claims.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMI told the truth about what went on and if you don't like it and want to make false claims to deny it, so be it.

I have made no false claims.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMI am not being sucked down this rabbit hole.

I am really not sure what you're talking about or if this has anything to do with me.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 04:54:43 PMIf you want to go around claiming that putting self-serving political agendas ahead of science, medicine, and public health is a good idea, go right ahead.

Again, I am not sure what you're talking about or why you are so emotional and triggered. All I did was post a few facts and state that I thought they were interesting. You then proceeded to get pretty emotional about it, which was not my intention. It's all good though, we can drop it.

MightyGiants

"Triggered and emotional"  You are trying too hard.  I told you, I am not letting you drag me down that rabbit hole
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 08, 2022, 08:09:51 PMTrue in general, although as it turns out Florida is quite a population-dense state at 8th in the country:

So you went and looked up the population data and saw that NJ has 3 times the population density of Florida.  Instead of acknowledging my point, you cherry-pick a single fact to create the misleading claim about how dense Florida is ranking 8th.   This is exactly why I am not going to engage, you clearly intend to promote a narrative rather than seek the truth.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 08, 2022, 08:35:49 PMSo you went and looked up the population data and saw that NJ has 3 times the population density of Florida.  Instead of acknowledging my point, you cherry-pick a single fact to create the misleading claim about how dense Florida is ranking 8th.   This is exactly why I am not going to engage, you clearly intend to promote a narrative rather than seek the truth.

It's not cherry picking. You brought up population density of states as a way of explaining why Florida's covid deaths per capita number was basically in line with a number of northern states. I responded by pointing out that Florida is actually the 8th most densely populated state in the country. That is not cherry-picking. Sorry, but that is actually addressing the main subject.

MightyGiants

Just because I feel a certain moral and ethical obligation.  The man behind the proclamations that @DaveBrown74 posted in the past has promoted two proven ineffective and dangerous "cures" for Covid in hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin.   So consider this man's history of false and dangerous/deadly claims when considering his latest covid claims.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE