News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Running thread chances that Daniel Jones (and Barkley) is back next season

Started by MightyGiants, September 16, 2022, 07:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Modeled on the thread from last season where we rated chances of the GM and coaching staff staying on a weekly basis, this one will be for Daniel Jones.  It's a 0 to 10 scale with zero meaning he is gone with no chance to return and 10 being he is a lock to return.

I will demonstrate with my input:

I think Jones started at a 3.  He is not a player the new staff is invested in and the team passing on his option was not a good sign.  Plus regardless of the extenuating circumstances he has not played consistently at a high level.

I think it stays a 3 after week one.  I think his performance was a push that didn't move the needle in either direction.  Seeing where he started, if DJ wants to return he will need to do better.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Very good thread idea. I'm going to go with 2. My rationale below:

-As you said he is not the QB that either the GM or coach picked. Whichever QB they go with, they are most likely betting their jobs on that individual. I think it's reasonable to believe they're going to want to make that bet on someone they picked (unless the incumbent is an established top 10 QB, which Jones is not).

-Not picking up the 5th year option was telling, and the idea that they couldn't do it because they "haven't seen him play" doesn't hold up given they did it for Lawrence.

-Daboll yelling at Jones in the middle of the game showed that he is not going to tolerate bad mistakes like that one. And Jones does have a tendency to make those types of mistakes.

-The 2023 QB class looks very robust, and they may feel like they don't want to miss that.

-Signing Tyrod Taylor for two years instead of just one might point to a desire on their part to lock down a competent backup who could even start for a few weeks in the event that their QB is a rookie in 2023. Taylor has a reputation of being helpful with rookies.

-The new regime's mantra is "tough, smart, dependable." Jones has shown that he ticks the first two of those boxes, but not the third. In the most recent draft, they clearly avoided injury-prone players. Jones is as injury prone a starting QB as there is in the NFL right now.

Consequently, I think the odds are low as it stands right now. They can certainly go up if Jones starts rattling off some very strong performances, but I tend to think there is a decent chance that deep down and in very private conversations just between Schoen and Daboll, their minds may already be made up for the most part. And even if they're not, I don't think the odds are high at all, personally. I actually don't know of anyone who does, other than maybe a couple of posters here.

Bill Brown

I'll hold off on my opinion of DJ until he  and the rest of the team get 4 or 5 more games into the season. I'm still feeling like DJ should have more time hopefully with an improved surrounding than to see if he can prove himself.

I'll give him a B on game 1.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on September 16, 2022, 09:30:16 AMI'll hold off on my opinion of DJ until he  and the rest of the team get 4 or 5 more games into the season. I'm still feeling like DJ should have more time hopefully with an improved surrounding than to see if he can prove himself.

I'll give him a B on game 1.

Bill

Bill,

With the qualifier that it's subject to change, what do you think DJ"s current chances of returning next season are?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2022, 09:35:25 AMBill,

With the qualifier that it's subject to change, what do you think DJ"s current chances of returning next season are?

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

gregf

I agree with Rich. Started at a 3. Stays at a 3.  I want him to succeed, buy he needs to end up top half in league pass yards and tds to consider it in my view.
     To add, I think Barkleys stock is up and Gollidays is down as far as keepers in 23

MightyGiants

Quote from: gregf on September 16, 2022, 09:55:07 AMI agree with Rich. Started at a 3. Stays at a 3.  I want him to succeed, buy he needs to end up top half in league pass yards and tds to consider it in my view.
     To add, I think Barkleys stock is up and Gollidays is down as far as keepers in 23

I hadn't thought about it (to be frank, I thought Barkley was a goner), but you're right, he definitely moved the needle and improved his chances of returning.  If I had to peg Barkley's chances right now I would say they went from a 1 to a 3 or 4
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2022, 09:58:37 AMI hadn't thought about it (to be frank, I thought Barkley was a goner), but you're right, he definitely moved the needle and improved his chances of returning.  If I had to peg Barkley's chances right now I would say they went from a 1 to a 3 or 4

I would agree. While I hate putting too much into one game, the fact that Barkley was capable at all of having a game like that suggests he's fully recovered and clearly wasn't last year. So, right now at least, it is not unreasonable to expect him to have more good games as the season goes on. I suspect week one will be his best or 2nd best game of the season in the end, but that doesn't mean he won't have multiple other 100 rushing yard or 150 all purpose yard games. I think 4 makes sense. Since Schoen seems like a guy who is very focused on positional value and these types of considerations, in his heart of hearts my guess is he doesn't particularly want to sign Barkley, but if Barkley absolutely crushes it this season they may find themselves in a position where it feels close to impossible. Also, if they let Jones walk, then throwing RB money at Barkley may not feel as painful.

MightyGiants

I think Jones punted and continues to sit at 3

I thnk Barkley dropped to 2, not that he was horrible but rather I think he needs to be playing like an All-Pro stick
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

gregf

3 Jones- just not enough yards.  4 to 5 Barkley - depends on money.  Speaking of Money, Gollady is one of the best paid non contributors I have ever witnessed

Slugsy-Narrows

Rambo89

Jones 1.5-2
Barkley 1.5-2

Maybe they tag Barkley but who knows how they want their cap to look like next season so I am not sure.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

I bump Jones up to 4.5 after a very solid game under terrible conditions

I give Barkley a small bump to 3.5 after an okay game in poor conditions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE