News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Running thread chances that Daniel Jones (and Barkley) is back next season

Started by MightyGiants, September 16, 2022, 07:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2022, 06:28:01 PMJones 1.5-2
Barkley 1.5-2

Maybe they tag Barkley but who knows how they want their cap to look like next season so I am not sure.

Leaving this unchanged as nothing in Jones's play has stood out being worse or better overall three games in.  As good as Barkley looks I still can't see them committing to a back with big money
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Jones: 2 (unchanged from last week)

Barkley: 5 (up one point from last week)

I don't think the loss tonight is on Jones' head by any means but I don't think he helped himself in any way either. For him to get retained the numbers have to be there one way or another, and they're simply not.

TDToomer

I think Barkley has a better chance of returning next season because he is playing at a high level and the replacement cost is tougher. Plus he can be franchised for much cheaper than Jones ($9.5 million in 2022 compared to $29.5 million).

There are backup QBS who could do what Jones does and chances are we will draft a QB.
I am not opposed to drafting a running back day 2.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on September 27, 2022, 09:20:33 AMI think Barkley has a better chance of returning next season because he is playing at a high level and the replacement cost is tougher. Plus he can be franchised for much cheaper than Jones ($9.5 million in 2022 compared to $29.5 million).

There are backup QBS who could do what Jones does and chances are we will draft a QB.
I am not opposed to drafting a running back day 2.

With all the glaring needs they have, if they were to tag or sign Barkley I can almost guarantee they're not going to use a 2nd round pick on a RB in the next draft. CB, receiver, and IOL would be way bigger needs if they keep Barkley.

If they don't keep Barkley I would absolutely expect them to use a day 2 pick on a RB though.

ozzie

Three Games in and after last night's performance, I say Jones - 5.5 / Barkley 4.
Reasons: Jones, even without reaching 200 passing yards is, I think, showing improvement. He took a beating last night and didn't turn the ball over. Was running for his life every snap and still was their best offensive weapon.
If he continues to improve as the season progresses, I think his chances improve too. Unless Schoen & Daboll fall in "Full Bloom Love" with QB, I think they build up the O-Line and WR group and DJ gets another contract.
I think stability is an important part of building a winner.
Barkley, Same as Rambo, I can't see shelling out a big contract on a RB. Build the OL and get a good, sturdy, serviceable RB for a lot cheaper than Barkley.
Just my .02 cents.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Slugsy-Narrows

Jones showed some fight in the dog!

That pass to Richie James was on point!

We were in that game with the Oline's utter fail BECAUSE of Jones's play!

He made mistakes even the great ones do!

I think he helped himself more then hurt with that performance.

Doesn't mean he stays, but if we had an OLINE that could have given him time I think the outcome of the game could have been different and the view of Jones even in naysayers eyes may have been different as well.

I was impressed with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: TDToomer on September 28, 2022, 03:56:32 PMWe have really low QB standards here.  :o
Or we can appreciate the effort put in regardless of the outcome   I get that gets lost by some.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 26, 2022, 11:37:14 PMJones: 2 (unchanged from last week)

Barkley: 5 (up one point from last week)

Jones: 2

Barkley: 5.5

Leaving Jones unchanged and notching Barkley up to 55%. Barkley was excellent. I still think this is going to come down to Schoen's philosophy on the positional value of RB and the track record of handing a big 2nd contract to a RB at age 26, but we'll see.

Thought about notching Jones down slightly for the injury, but I have no idea how serious it is, and if he plays next week then that storyline won't matter. I don't think his performance in the game prior to the injury was a needle move either way. He had some nice runs however was once again not much of a factor in the passing game, nor did the coaches show a great deal of interest/trust in using him that way.

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2022, 11:31:55 PMI bump Jones up to 4.5 after a very solid game under terrible conditions

I give Barkley a small bump to 3.5 after an okay game in poor conditions

I will put Jones and Barkley at 5 each
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Jones holds about a 4. I really wa t to see what he can do with To ey and Robinson.  Barkley up to a 6. He has been dynamite!

TDToomer

Barkley leads the NFL in yards from scrimage. Assuming this doesn't change he will absolutely be franchise tagged if not resigned by the tag date. 

Slugsy-Narrows

SB performance over these 4 games is making it harder and harder to not keep him.

He is the safety net for Jones.

If Jones isn't back next year he will be a HUGE asset to a rookie QB.

IF he stays healthy and keeps on this path or better I agree he gets tagged!  JS couldn't let him go.

Jones injury I think drops him a bit especially if this lingers more then a week.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 02, 2022, 10:38:23 PMSB performance over these 4 games is making it harder and harder to not keep him.

He is the safety net for Jones.

If Jones isn't back next year he will be a HUGE asset to a rookie QB.

IF he stays healthy and keeps on this path or better I agree he gets tagged!  JS couldn't let him go.

Jones injury I think drops him a bit especially if this lingers more then a week.

I agree. I think Jones showing he is capable of staying healthy for even a single season has always part of the equation here. I left my grade on him unchanged but if this turns out to be a high ankle sprain type injury (ie multiple weeks out) I will be dropping him. I don't see the Giants signing any QB who has proven time and again he can't be counted on from an availability perspective. Especially a new regime that preaches "dependable" as one of its three main pillars it demands from players. Hopefully he is able to play next week though.