News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Asteroid Smashing Looks Like Nothing You Ever Imagined

Started by MightyGiants, September 27, 2022, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Sep 27, 2022  NASA's Double Asteroid Redirect Test (DART) mission finished yesterday in a spectacular crash into the Asteroid Dimorphos

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Besides being a rather interesting video, I am also curious to see what the results look like.  I mean, there is some comfort in the idea that we on the planet earth might have an answer if we discover an object on a collision course with our planet, it does bring a bit of comfort.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 28, 2022, 09:36:22 AMBesides being a rather interesting video, I am also curious to see what the results look like.  I mean, there is some comfort in the idea that we on the planet earth might have an answer if we discover an object on a collision course with our planet, it does bring a bit of comfort.

From all I've read, the crash did alter the orbit of the smaller asteroid. That should give comfort that it's possible to change an asteroid's path should it target planet Earth. But it'd take a much bigger, more explosive crash if it was a "life-on-earth-as-we-know-it" sized projectile heading straight at us
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 28, 2022, 10:38:53 AMFrom all I've read, the crash did alter the orbit of the smaller asteroid. That should give comfort that it's possible to change an asteroid's path should it target planet Earth. But it'd take a much bigger, more explosive crash if it was a "life-on-earth-as-we-know-it" sized projectile heading straight at us

Ric,

The speed of the collision and distance from the earth both play a role.  Depending on the type of impact, you are either going to preserve momentum (speed X mass) or kinetic energy (mass X speed squared).  Far enough off, the change in course can be barely perceptible but would be enough to cause a miss.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 29, 2022, 10:10:11 AMRic,

The speed of the collision and distance from the earth both play a role.  Depending on the type of impact, you are either going to preserve momentum (speed X mass) or kinetic energy (mass X speed squared).  Far enough off, the change in course can be barely perceptible but would be enough to cause a miss.

I think if it was a major body it would require a nuclear explosion or something to change course (or destroy it). I'm sure NASA engineers are working on being able to move life-threatening asteroids and this was just a baby step proving to themselves they can hit the target and in fact, change the orbit. Quite a success story. I can't imagine all the math involved to make it happen. Sorta like hitting a large caliber bullet with a BB gun and changing the direction of the bullet  :jawdrop:

Bill Brown

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 11, 2022, 11:21:29 PMhttps://justthenews.com/nation/science/nasa-confirms-it-shifted-nearby-asteroids-orbit-first-ever-planetary-defense-test

I'm not sure if this is the same or a different project. Bob

Yeah, it's the same thing; the experiment was a "success."   In this case, it proved we could shift the path of astral bodies.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I still wonder about these things. Like in football, it always seems to work perfectly in practice, but when the real deal comes around---well, let's hope for the best.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on October 12, 2022, 10:15:57 AMI still wonder about these things. Like in football, it always seems to work perfectly in practice, but when the real deal comes around---well, let's hope for the best.

Len,

I look at it this way.  Up until now, we could do about as much about a meteor striking our planet as the dinosaurs.  I mean, thanks to our telescopes, we would know sooner than they did, but that was about it.  Now we have a potential means to avert a disaster that could wipe out a significant amount of life on this planet.  To me, that's a BFD, or for those offended by harsh language, a big deal.  That is true even if it doesn't completely work (I would think they would launch multiple attempts for a known threat so that there would be room for one or more failures.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Absolutely it's worth a shot.

Look at it this way, what are our other options?

I just meant, tests like these always seem to work well when let's say, there is no pressure on it. Let's hope we can say the same thing, if and hopefully not, we never have to try it for real.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Still they need a means of scanning for early detection. There are often times where one flies by and wasn't detected until after it passed. If one hits the size of the one that extinguished the 🦖 it would kill most all life on this planet.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin