News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Scientists Successfully Sent A Particle Back in Time, Is Human Time Travel Next?

Started by LennG, September 28, 2022, 10:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Len: I tried to check it out.  Although the title of the article is exactly as you set it forth in the title of this thread, the body of the article is nothing more than a general statement referring to H G Wells. LOL  Also, note that the author's name, Aria Misty, sounds more like a computer-generated nom-de-plume than a real name. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 28, 2022, 10:59:35 AMLen: I tried to check it out.  Although the title of the article is exactly as you set it forth in the title of this thread, the body of the article is nothing more than a general statement referring to H G Wells. LOL  Also, note that the author's name, Aria Misty, sounds more like a computer-generated nom-de-plume than a real name. Bob

I agree Bob. I did go thru it also, and really the title is a lead-in, but I felt it might be interesting to discuss, so there it went up.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Here's a crudely basic but still relevant question on this broad topic:

If humans traveling back in time is something that could ever be possible in the future, wouldn't we know that by now? Meaning, wouldn't time travelers from way out in the future already have visited us and past societies as well?

LennG

So you ask and I will tell one of my all-time silly theories, one that I do believe although no one else does.

I truly believe Leonardo DiVinci was a time traveler, and was somehow left in an era by mistake or whatever and could not get back to where ever he came from. He had these masterful designs of things from the future, that no one could ever imagine. Yet he was able to design them but did not have the capabilities to build them.
His ideas were 200, 300 even 1000 years ahead of their time, where would these ideas come from--the future--possibly? Yet he lacked the technology to put these designs and objects into real life.

Laugh all you want, it is my theory and really no one can disprove it.  #:-S  #:-S  #:-S
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on September 28, 2022, 08:45:31 PMSo you ask and I will tell one of my all-time silly theories, one that I do believe although no one else does.

I truly believe Leonardo DiVinci was a time traveler, and was somehow left in an era by mistake or whatever and could not get back to where ever he came from. He had these masterful designs of things from the future, that no one could ever imagine. Yet he was able to design them but did not have the capabilities to build them.
His ideas were 200, 300 even 1000 years ahead of their time, where would these ideas come from--the future--possibly? Yet he lacked the technology to put these designs and objects into real life.

Laugh all you want, it is my theory and really no one can disprove it.  #:-S  #:-S  #:-S

I have heard this theory before. If he was a time traveler, how can you explain the documentation of the beginning of his life, including his birth, childhood, etc? If he were a time traveler, wouldn't he have just appeared one day in the 15th century as an adult completely out of the blue?

LennG

Good points, but what do we really know of his early life?

Is there a real record of his birth?

You can say the same thing about Jesus, in that no one really knows the exact date he was born and who really knows anything about his childhood. then there he was an adult and ready for action.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 28, 2022, 07:35:40 PMHere's a crudely basic but still relevant question on this broad topic:

If humans traveling back in time is something that could ever be possible in the future, wouldn't we know that by now? Meaning, wouldn't time travelers from way out in the future already have visited us and past societies as well?
DB: Agree. THAT is precisely why I'm almost 100% certain it's impossible to travel back in time.

I say "almost" because it's not impossible that people smart enough to travel back in time are likewise smart enough to not be "caught" doing so. LOL

I'm not as certain about ruling out travel forward... some people think if you can't go one way you should not be able to go in either direction... not necessarily true.

By coincidence, I just happen to be watching the classic science-fiction movie "Interstellar." 

With the aid of a black hole, there would seem to be a theoretical possibility of going forward (as they suggest in the movie... what's really happening is that not that they are TRAVELING forward, but rather they are being affected so that every one hour of their lives on a certain planet located inside the black hole coincides with passage of nine years of time on Earth).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

If the concept of time travel proves real, you can theoretically be in any time at any time. In other words all of time exists all the time. In that case what would that do to the very definition of time?

Somewhat related. I always enjoyed this quote...
When you look out into the night sky, and you see the stars far away, you're seeing them because of the light that has travelled from them to you.
But it takes time for the light to travel here. So what we're doing is seeing the stars as they were in the past, in the amount of time it has taken for the light to reach us. The further, and further away the stars are, the further back in time we're looking.
Now we're seeing a star that, let's say, is 6,000 years ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They would be seeing us as we were 6,000 years ago.
Which of those two is "now"?
So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across the space, we are looking back in time.

-Professor Frank Close

MightyGiants

I found this article on the topic

KEY TAKEAWAYS
The second law of thermodynamics states that order always moves to disorder, which we experience as an arrow of time.

Scientists used a quantum computer to show that time travel is theoretically possible by reverting a simulated particle from an entropic to a more orderly state.

While Einstein's general theory of relativity permits time travel, the means to achieve it remain improbable in nature.

NOW a computer simulation sort of negates the claim.   I mean, I once saw my nephew take out the Joker and the Riddler as Batman, but I didn't go around claiming my nephew was a superhero who saved the world.

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/particle-time-travel/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 29, 2022, 02:26:59 PMDB: Agree. THAT is precisely why I'm almost 100% certain it's impossible to travel back in time.

I say "almost" because it's not impossible that people smart enough to travel back in time are likewise smart enough to not be "caught" doing so. LOL

I'm not as certain about ruling out travel forward... some people think if you can't go one way you should not be able to go in either direction... not necessarily true.

By coincidence, I just happen to be watching the classic science-fiction movie "Interstellar." 

With the aid of a black hole, there would seem to be a theoretical possibility of going forward (as they suggest in the movie... what's really happening is that not that they are TRAVELING forward, but rather they are being affected so that every one hour of their lives on a certain planet located inside the black hole coincides with passage of nine years of time on Earth).

Bob

The essential problem with time traveling to the past is causality.  The best example is the guy who travels back in time and kills his father.  The resulting paradox is irresolvable.  Great grist for science fiction, though.  I don't think anyone did it better than Robert Heinlein.  All You Zombies and The Door Into Summer are my favorites.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Bob Lazar and John Lear were on a radio show with Art Bell back in 1992 discussing the possibility of time travel. Lear asked Bob if he could build a time machine and he said he could if he had the right parts and the energy to increase gravity to warp space time. There is a recently discovered Element 115 that Lazar spoke about thirty years ago as the power behind the propulsion that powered the extraterrestrial space crafts he was hired to reverse engineer.

To make a long story short they addressed the paradox of going back is time and killing your father and if you would still exist. They said that time exists in frames. So if you did kill your father you would still exist.

We see time as linear but in some theory past, present and future all exist simultaneously. We are limited based on our perception of how we measure time and by our limited senses.

In the case of DiVinci if he did travel back he may have had no way of coming back to the present. Traveling forward would be safer.

There are other theories which I have some interest in where there are infinite possibilities of past and future and we are all creators who create our experiences. Then there is the multiverse theory that would also go along with this.

We're going to have to wait until we're dead to find out the nature of reality unless you want to experiment with DMT, psilocybin, 5meo or auahuasca. I'm too old to be playing with that stuff.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6yfnMlUBpwCyWTAOEYMzKd?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

I'd settle for a wormhole to cut down on travel time. Make the 'link' be name-related, like Dover, Delaware and Dover, NH. If I wanted to drive to Canada, I could enter the Dover, DE wormhole and exit in Dover, NH.

Or, forgo the name requirement and just pick your destination at the Wormhole ticket counter!  :yes:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 28, 2022, 08:51:22 PMI have heard this theory before. If he was a time traveler, how can you explain the documentation of the beginning of his life, including his birth, childhood, etc? If he were a time traveler, wouldn't he have just appeared one day in the 15th century as an adult completely out of the blue?

Dave

I was watching a movie the other day where a man was transported to the future for a certain time and then returned back to the past (his present time frame).

Taking my theory of DiVinci and your problem with that, wouldn't it be possible, that he was from say the 1400s, got ported into the future, say 1940, for a few weeks, and then ported back to his original time era? From his visit to the future, he gained the knowledge of several of his inventions and then transported back to a time when he simply could not build them, but could make drawings of them. Would that be more of a feasible theory that might explain his birth, childhood, etc, and why he knew about many of these 'inventions' way before their time?

The movie was a fantasy about someone from the past being ported thru some sort of time portal that only opens every so often, spends some time in the future but longs to return to his era, and can, again, only be done thru this portal window. Fantasy, sure, but who knows if anything like this could be possible, a portal to the future (or past)

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on October 03, 2022, 02:22:33 PMDave

I was watching a movie the other day where a man was transported to the future for a certain time and then returned back to the past (his present time frame).

Taking my theory of DiVinci and your problem with that, wouldn't it be possible, that he was from say the 1400s, got ported into the future, say 1940, for a few weeks, and then ported back to his original time era? From his visit to the future, he gained the knowledge of several of his inventions and then transported back to a time when he simply could not build them, but could make drawings of them. Would that be more of a feasible theory that might explain his birth, childhood, etc, and why he knew about many of these 'inventions' way before their time?

The movie was a fantasy about someone from the past being ported thru some sort of time portal that only opens every so often, spends some time in the future but longs to return to his era, and can, again, only be done thru this portal window. Fantasy, sure, but who knows if anything like this could be possible, a portal to the future (or past)

Possibly, or maybe he was just a brilliant genius visionary who lived during that time.

I just feel like if time travel in the future were possible it's hard to see how we would not know that already.