News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ian

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, September 28, 2022, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

*This is in no way to make light of the current situation in Florida.*

Ric/Jolly Blue Giant, if you haven't already read it, now might be a good time to read Carl Hiaasen's book Stormy Weather, (one of my favorites of his books). It will be interesting to see how closely the events in his novel parallels actual post-hurricane reality during the next several months or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormy_Weather_(novel) 

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on September 29, 2022, 02:41:49 PM*This is in no way to make light of the current situation in Florida.*

Ric/Jolly Blue Giant, if you haven't already read it, now might be a good time to read Carl Hiaasen's book Stormy Weather, (one of my favorites of his books). It will be interesting to see how closely the events in his novel parallels actual post-hurricane reality during the next several months or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormy_Weather_(novel) 

Love Hiaasen's novels. I read four or five of his books since you (or someone on here - pretty sure it was you) told me about him. Thanks for the tip - it's one I haven't read
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Concrete houses are getting popular around my area. Even the roof of a house is poured concrete. I'm surprised more houses in Florida along the coast are not being made this way. Exteriors can be made to look like any ordinary house with no limit to options, and they are just as beautiful as a stick house. Downside: extremely quiet inside compared to wood houses (cancels a lot of outside noise which might bother some people), and it's necessary to have fresh air pumped in and circulated throughout. Upside: maintenance free, can heat or cool house for pennies, and can withstand anything the environment throws at you

In a hurricane, trailers are first to go, then modulars, then stick houses, etc

T200

It always baffled me as to why more concrete/brick houses/structure aren't built in hurricane and tornado-prone areas. When we were stationed in Japan and Okinawa, the buildings and houses were predominantly concrete. Typhoons would cause minimal structural damage with most of the damage coming from the water, not the wind.

As small as Okinawa is, it fascinated me when we were caught in multiple typhoons where the eye passed directly over the island. Actually kind of surreal.

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on October 03, 2022, 07:25:45 AMIt always baffled me as to why more concrete/brick houses/structure aren't built in hurricane and tornado-prone areas. When we were stationed in Japan and Okinawa, the buildings and houses were predominantly concrete. Typhoons would cause minimal structural damage with most of the damage coming from the water, not the wind.

As small as Okinawa is, it fascinated me when we were caught in multiple typhoons where the eye passed directly over the island. Actually kind of surreal.

must have been cool with a break of sunshine between the carnage. I would guess that the tide would recede and then comeback with a vengeance. Bill Mahar was commenting on stick houses on shorelines of hurricane and tornado regions in his standup portion.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2022, 11:17:57 AMmust have been cool with a break of sunshine between the carnage. I would guess that the tide would recede and then comeback with a vengeance. Bill Mahar was commenting on stick houses on shorelines of hurricane and tornado regions in his standup portion.
Cool and wild! As the storms approached, trees were bending close to 60 degrees in one direction, then after the eye passed over us, the winds started pushing the trees the opposite way. Many of them held up and didn't snap!

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on October 03, 2022, 11:22:08 AMCool and wild! As the storms approached, trees were bending close to 60 degrees in one direction, then after the eye passed over us, the winds started pushing the trees the opposite way. Many of them held up and didn't snap!
Makes me wonder if survival of the fittest kicks in and it's an example of Darwin's theory. More flexible trees with deeper roots.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2022, 11:29:23 AMMakes me wonder if survival of the fittest kicks in and it's an example of Darwin's theory. More flexible trees with deeper roots.
Yep, and adaptability.

Darwin takes care of the folks who want to go out to the seawall as well. Seems every time a typhoon comes through, there are of reports of someone getting snatched up by the wind and waves.  :doh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on October 03, 2022, 11:44:49 AMYep, and adaptability.

Darwin takes care of the folks who want to go out to the seawall as well. Seems every time a typhoon comes through, there are of reports of someone getting snatched up by the wind and waves.  :doh:

I remember a story from a few years back of a group of college age kids decided to have a "hurricane party" on their balcony. They were never found and never to have been heard from again  :doh:

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 03, 2022, 11:54:50 AMI remember a story from a few years back of a group of college age kids decided to have a "hurricane party" on their balcony. They were never found and never to have been heard from again  :doh:
I only remember one incident where the remains were recovered after the storm passed.

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

rexhandler

man florida, anything nailed down will end up in the ocean

weeze

well my observation is there aren't any "stick houses around. They cant meet the building codes. IF you rebuild on those barrier Islands you should get professional help. no question. Theres going to be a storm some day where those islands will disappear forever.

PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!